Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people of Dog Forums!

This afternoon I discovered a tick on Max. He must have picked it up Monday night when we went running in the woods. Instead of waiting for my wife (the tick plucking master) to get home and help me take it out, I went to the store to get tick pluckers (for lack of a better name) and try to do it myself.

As soon as I bought them, the nice sales associate saw me struggling to take it out. The tick was right by Max's eye, and he [the dog] was not a happy camper. "Don't worry, I've done this dozens of times," the sales associate told me, so I let him take over. Well, as soon as he plucked it out, I noticed that he ripped it, leaving the head behind. :frusty:

I am feeling stupid for being impatient and letting some random dude give it a shot, instead of waiting for my wife, who's done this a dozen times...:redface:

Anyway, long story short, Max still has the tick head in his skin. When my wife got home, we tried taking it out using tweezers, but we simply could not get it out. The fact that the tick was right close to Max's eye did not make the task any easier...

In the meantime, we rubbed a little Polysporin on it. However, I am freaking out a bit about this. I know all about ticks and lyme disease (thankfully just from reading about it), so I know that leaving the head behind is not good.

What would you all recommend we do?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Have you tried to squeeze it like a pimple and then use the tweezers to get in there?
Or using a beer bottle that's been heated to have some suction?

Most of the time, the body will push abnormalities out of the skin, so even if you cannot get at it, just keep the area protected from infection and let the body do it's job. If it becomes an issue, I'd seek out some vet help.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It shouldn't be a big deal, honestly. And I say this as someone who lives in the middle of Lyme country. His skin will push it out naturally. Lyme comes from the bacteria in the tick's body being excreted into the tick bite, but if the body is gone the risk of that is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's not a big deal. The only part a tick can put inside is its mouth sucker thingie, and it'll come out on its own eventually and shouldn't get infected. You can try to pull it out with tweezers if he'll sit still enough but it's just not anything you have to worry about.

Also, how big was the tick? If you can see its mouthparts it probably wasn't a deer tick. They're teeny.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Yeah, up here the tick handling protocol is to rip him out as close to the skin as possible in one motion (if you bug him before taking him out that's when they will regurgitate and that's when lyme can be passed). If anything is left in we're told just to leave it as the body will push it out. Keep an eye on it for any issues otherwise he should be fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Leave it......... don't mess with it or poke and prod it........ the body will push it out. Resist the urge to scrape the scab off before it falls off on it's own.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I would leave it be.... Maybe put a dab of neosporin or polysporin on it....
The body will get rid of it. Either push it out or absorb it....

You can try to get the head. But you will not always get it. I have never had one get infected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts