Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pup is now over a year old. Can't believe how time flies! He's the one in the pic with my signature. We're having a problem with ticks and I would love comments, suggestions, advice, etc.

Our dachsie is easy to apply the FrontLine stuff on, and it works very well on him. Have used it for years. But, the pup----Jack has such a heavy undercoat that it is very hard for me to even see his skin. I've not had a dog before with this type of coat. He is most likely part Husky, or possibly part Malamute--don't know for sure.

Anyway, he has that heavy thick undercoat. I used the Frontline on him last summer fine, when he was younger and it hadn't grown in so thick, I guess. I do comb him with a Furminator. This year, I feel like I'm not getting down to his skin. I've applied it three times now, past three months, and he still gets ticks. Hate them.

Our vet suggested Comfortis, for flea control, which is a pill he takes monthly. He's had one of them, about three weeks ago, and haven't seen fleas. But, we weren't seeing fleas before either, just ticks. Our vet said that she uses Comfortis on her sheepdogs, and in her opinion, it seems to help with ticks too, even though it's not advertised for ticks.

He had three half-full ticks on him last night, only three weeks since giving him his first dose of Comfortis.

My question is, are there other things, either pharmaceutical or natural, that you have had good luck with for keeping ticks off, or at least, die when they bite?

Second question, am I just being totally incompetent in not being able to get the FrontLine down to his skin? Those of you who have had huskies and malamutes and other dogs with the heavy undercoat, do you have this problem?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

CJ

·
Registered
343 Posts
With the keeshonden, we had to use two applications of front line per dog.

My suggestion, get a comb and part the hair as well as you can to the skin. Add the drops and hope for the best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm looking into the same issue with my dog. I've read that K9 Advantix is stronger than frontline.

Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
K9 Advantix also contains pyrethrins... which can cause issues such as seizure and death. NBC did a news story on them... I posted it awhile back.

I use diatomaceous earth on my GSD mix. Haven't seen a tick since I started using it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
With the keeshonden, we had to use two applications of front line per dog.
Oh man, that's scary. Did your vet recommend that? Did you call the company and ask their opinion? Spot on products are made to be able to transfer themselves between hair shafts and to the skin where the product is absorbed on their own. I don't think doubling up on chemical pesticides for application purposes should be necessary no matter how thick the coat is, and it certainly doesn't sound safe. Please be careful!

OP: Check out http://www.onlynaturalpet.com for some natural alternatives. I use a variety of natural products on my pets and around the house (BugOff Garlic, food grade Diatomaceous Earth, Apple Cider Vinegar in drinking water, etc.).

Comfortis is not made to be effective against ticks and isn't something I would personally use against fleas, either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. I will try using a comb and a second pair of hands too, to see if I can get the topical stuff on better. Also picked up some spray-on cedar oil at the nursery the other day, haven't used it yet but will start.

Pamperedpups, I took a look at the link you provided; I do like natural products and use them for myself and the dogs whenever possible. I will do some more investigating of some of those products. Do you not like Comfortis for a specific reason, or because you prefer all-natural things? Do you use heartworm preventatives for your dogs?

Any thoughts on garlic? (ingested not topical)

I appreciate all the info. Thanks again.

I've been reading about diatomaceous earth. So far, the three different companies that I clicked on that sell it, explain it all the same. But, they all also contain pyrethrum. Is this what you were talking about, nickelodeum79, that can be harmful?

Also, on the DE, do you use the powder dusting, or do you feed it? If you feed it, is it a daily, weekly, monthly thing?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Garlic is pretty much on every list out there as being poisonous to dogs and it drives me insane that companies market it for flea/tick control!

The thing with garlic is that there have been no studies showing what a "safe" amount is nor have there been studies showing what long term affects it can have.

In a toxic case it can cause severe anemia and internal bleeding. Garlic is not safe and should not be used.

Personally, I use Vectra 3D on my dogs and Vectra on my cats. They seem to work better than Frontline and a lot of vets are switching over. I've had no problems with them and neither have my dogs, even the puppy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know that about garlic. I know that onions, grapes, chocolate, and several other things are toxic, but had not heard that about garlic. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
B Vitamins work similar to garlic in that they exude an odor from the skin that is unpleasant to bugs and humans can't detect. B vitamins are also water soluble, so you will not run the risk of overdosing your dog on them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep, it's one that a lot of people seem to miss and then companies market it which makes people assume that it's safe.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.html

Onions, Garlic, Chives

These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. Toxicity is normally diagnosed through history, clinical signs and microscopic confirmation of Heinz bodies. An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, but we recommend that you do NOT give your pets large quantities of these foods.

That's why I worry about it being marketed as a supplement. To be effective it's gotta be a fairly high dose and given over a long period of time. That can have scary side effects.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dust and feed the DE. I'm feeding daily for one month, than monthly after that. I just dust every few days, usually outside because you're not supposed to get the dust in your or your dog's lungs. I got my from dirtworks.net. You have to make sure to get the food grade DE.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
K9 Advantix also contains pyrethrins... which can cause issues such as seizure and death. NBC did a news story on them... I posted it awhile back.

I use diatomaceous earth on my GSD mix. Haven't seen a tick since I started using it.

I used diatomaceous earth on the Keeshond I had that was allergic to fleas as well as the flea products available then. No flea or tick problems at all!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts