Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13lb Morkipoo. He is currently on Advantage multi but because it doesn't cover ticks and this season has been really bad so far I am switching him to Nexgard and Heartgard. The vet says I can give them at the same time or stagger them. What do you guys think? Would it be better to stagger because of the chemicals and give him time to adjust or get it done at the same time? (I'm organized enough I don't think I'd forget to give it to him either way.)

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
I prefer two separate times so that if a dog has a negative reaction, I know which medicine caused it.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Isn't there Advantix that covers both fleas and ticks?
K9 Advantix 2 covers fleas, flea eggs and larvae, ticks, lice and repels biting flies. It is an OTC topical. It does not cover heartworm prevention so most people combine it with Heartguard or generic heartguard. It is not safe for cats. Active ingredients: imidacloprid, permethrin and pyriproxyfen

Advantage 2 covers fleas, flea eggs and larvae, and lice, not ticks. It is topical, OTC, and does not cover heartworm prevention. Active ingredients: imidacloprid and pyriproxyfen

Frontline Plus covers fleas, ticks, lice and mites. Topical, OTC, does not cover heartworm prevention. Some regions report resistance to the active ingredient fipronil.

Advantage Multi is prescription topical and covers heartworms, several intestinal worms, fleas, and sarcoptic mange. Not ticks. Active ingredients: imidacloprid + moxidectin

Revolution is a prescription topical and covers heartworm, fleas, ear mites, and sarcoptic mange plus American dog tick; possibly/probably works on other ticks but not lab tested so they don't claim it on the label. Active ingredient: selamectin

Nexgard is a prescription oral which covers fleas and ticks; once monthly dose. Active ingredient: afoxolaner

Bravecto is a prescription oral which covers fleas and ticks; once every 12 weeks dose. Active ingredient: fluralaner

Personally, I have no cats to worry about so I use Advantix 2 for flea/tick treatment seasonally (roughly March to November) and Tri-Hart Plus (generic Heartgard Plus) monthly all year round for heartworm prevention and intestinal parasite prevention.

Depending on what ticks are common in an area, Revolution is probably the best/simplest all-in-one option. It actually covered ticks pretty well for me when I used it for Chester years ago, but I like the ability to dose flea/tick seasonally without going off their HW prevention. Without hard freezes, that wouldn't be an option so they'd be year round on all the preventatives anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and gave him the Nexgard and he didn't have a reaction. Now I'm going to give him the Heartgard when I would normally give him the Advantage Multi. We also have an inside cat now which is a plus for the chewables and I won't have to keep him from trying to rub it off. Last year I barely found any ticks on him so I didn't even think about prevention but this year I've already found more than all of last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts