Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog was diagnosed with Tyroids from blood work. The Veterinarian prescribed her Thyro-tabs which have worked because we did another blood test after and it was normal.

Are there dog owners out there with experience with Thyroids? I'd like to learn more about the health and medications. Does the pet need to be on Thyroid medication always? Can it fix by itself?

My dog hasn't gain weight, she's skinny, eating a lot, drinks water, bathroom normally, just hair loss but I'm not sure if the thyroids are one reason..
Sometimes when out side she will keep walking as looking for a place to seat but instead continues walking around, I've noticed weakness on the hind legs. She has ringworm and I read that I shouldn't give her the parasites medication until after thyroid medication. I don't like giving her many pills but I'd like to hear feedback..

·
Registered
432 Posts
This book has tons of information, and (IMO) is pretty much the go-to 'Bible' for all things canine thyroid related.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Canine-Thyroid-Epidemic-Answers/dp/1617810169

and yes, if your dog needs thyroid medication, that will be for life. There is no way to 'fix' the gland, all you can do is supplement with the necessary missing hormone. any new or unusual symptoms should be immediately discussed with your vet, as well as any contraindications for other medications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts