Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Zora has had skin problems for over a year. I have investigated food allergies by changing foods and triying out the hypoallergenic food. It does not seem to be the problem. Other possiblities are of course enviromental allergies, but I also heard that thyroid problems have similar symptoms. Zora also is always trying to find a heat source to lay close to, and I heard that that's another symptom.

I asked my vet about it, but she says it is impossible for a dog to have a thyroid problem before the age of three (she's 1 1\2). What do you think? does anybody own a dog that was diagnosed before the age of 3?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I think your vet is wrong. I've had 2 dogs that showed symptoms of thyroid problems at about 6 months old.

Intolerance to cold is one of the top symptoms. Skin problems is another.

I'd insist on a full blood panel and if your vet fights you... find another vet.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just went through this with my dog, she will be 4 this summer but has exhibited the same symptoms, cold intolerance, dry skin, hair loss, for most of her life. Her test results came back "low normal" but since we've ruled out all other factors, allergies, ect... We decided to put her on a half dose of thyroxine. In less than 3 weeks her skin has almost completely healed and her hairless spots are growing in, and she is much "warmer." So I wouldn't rule out the thyroid, at my vet is was fairly inexpensive ($45 sent to MSU).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, I will ask for a full blood panel. What harm can it do? And I don't see why the vet would not want me to pay for that, other than maybe I'd stop bying her super expensive hypoallergenic food...:eek:

Yesterday, I washed Zora's blankets. When they came out of the dryer I put one on the floor for her to sleep on and when she lay down I put the other one on top of her... The blankets were really hot! I didn't think she would like it but to my surprise she didn't move for hours!!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I would definitely insist on the full-panel thyroid test. But, regardless of the results I'd stop the prescription diet. Since it probably comes from Hill the quality, although better than their regular foods, is not great and it's probably full of grain/s, which many dogs have allergies to or intolerance for.

Have you tried grain-free kibbles, especially ones without beef? Dogs seem to have a problem with beef based kibble more than other meat sources. Funny thing is, most, but not all, of those same dogs have no problem if feed beef (raw or cooked). Also, speaking of raw, have you tried a raw diet?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Your vet is VERY wrong, please find a one that is more knowledgeable. Pups can develop low thyroid and certain breeds are VERY prone to the problem. Thyroid can also be an indicator of Cushings, which is primarily a Pituitary disease, but can, in severe cases involve the thyroid.

Get a test that is sent it MSU or another outside lab (a four or six panel), the in house is just a prelim type test and isn't as sensitive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts