Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday, November 3rd, is "National Sandwich Day"... so what are your favorites?

Yet another bogus "holiday" or event, but just for fun, what is your favorite sandwich... And I'll tell you mine is something that I should NEVER eat, but do anyway, about 4x a year ( down from 18 - 20x a year, pre heart attack )

I like a Philly Cheesesteak made exactly this way:

American Cheese or extra sharp provolone
Fried "Italian Hots" --- A fairly hot pepper fried til soft in oil... about 4 per sandwich ( on a 12" roll )
Mayo ( people mostly frown on this in Philly )
Ketchup
"Hoagie Spread".... which is very finely chopped cherry peppers
LOTS of fried onions
and if my mood swings that way, mushrooms. And Deli pickles on the side, that I sometimes put right on the sandwich.

But a real close runner up is a Reuben.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Re: Thursday, November 3rd, is "National Sandwich Day"... so what are your favorites?

Since I'm freaking STARVING I thought I'd share (MMMM.....drool....)

Reuben (hold the icky Thousand Island & replace w/dark mustard)
Moe's Italian Sandwich - with light oil & EVERYTHING
Pastrami & Swiss - nothing else added
Cheesesteak w/mushrooms & onions. Nothing else.

mmmmmmm....think I may have to break down and snag ona dem doughnuts over there....dang it!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re: Thursday, November 3rd, is "National Sandwich Day"... so what are your favorites?

Cheesesteak with either provolone, mozzerella, or montery jack cheese, mayo, and lettuce
Roast beef, turkey, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, spicy brown mustard
Prime rib dip

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

Onion sandwich...............lots of mayo, salt, extra pepper, all on dark toast!.............huge dill pickle on the side......and a bottle of Tums! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts

do wraps count? its kinda a sandwhich..

anyway.. i like
turkey slices, lettuce, tomato, cranberry salsa, if they dont have cranberry salsa.. then regular or honey mustard will do. onions, pickles, cheese, olives, cucumbers, hot peppers, jalepeneos (sp?), mushrooms.. green peppers..

lol i like everything in my sandwhich. - and it must be toasted or grilled.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts

Philly cheesesteak- but only while in Philly because everywhere else ends up feeling like a sad imitation. Meat, provolone, grilled onions, mushrooms and peppers mix.

Reubens- but only if its a real deli who can do the meat right. Must be grilled and on rye. Once ordered a reuben and got a sandwich on toasted wheat bread. Wrong, just wrong.

Tortas- a mexican sandwich on a big round chewy bread loaf (too big to be a "bun") with meat of choice (like steak, tongue or chicken), avocado, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, sprinkle of white farmers cheese, sour cream and usually my fav sauce (a blend of sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro, and lime juice)

Good bread is what makes any sandwich great IMO. Like a good Cuban sandwich has simple ingredients but with the correct bread and the nice smushed character of the pressed sandwich, it is great.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Yummy thread ;-) Mine is

Camembert
Crispy, fried bacon
Mango Chutney

Now I do feel hungry, off to the kitchen ...

·
Registered
731 Posts

Bobbie from Capriottis or from Thanksgiving leftovers- turkey, cranberry, mayo and stuffing on a hoagie roll.
Langers in Los Angeles- half tongue half pastrami with coleslaw and Russian dressing.
Walker’s Bar-B-Que in New Orleans- Cochon Po Boy suckling pork and creamy mustard sauce
Momofuku Ssäm in New York City- terrine bahn mi. Yes give me some terrine of veal face, ham and liver on a baguette.
anywhere in Connecticut- lobster roll!
Bouchon La,NYC,Vegas- Tuna Nicqoise
Salumi Artisan Cured Meats in Seattle- headcheese or their porchetta on olive oil bread with cornichons. *die*
Urth Cafe in LA- Chicken Curry Salad Sandwich
Mendocino Farms LA- Kurobuta Pork Belly Bahn Mi

Yeah, you can tell I love my sandwich.

Even at home I never have a boring sandwich. Last thing I made was a brie, caramelized onion and julienne thin slices of pears on rosemary bread grilled on a panini press. Was so good. I have recreated a few of these sandwiches aside from the ones that require roasting a whole pork to get and such.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts

Philly cheesesteak- but only while in Philly because everywhere else ends up feeling like a sad imitation. Meat, provolone, grilled onions, mushrooms and peppers mix.

Reubens- but only if its a real deli who can do the meat right. Must be grilled and on rye. Once ordered a reuben and got a sandwich on toasted wheat bread. Wrong, just wrong.
Reuben on WHEAT?!?! oh, ICK! Did they use cole slaw instead of sauerkraut, too? One place did that...I was not amused.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

Even at home I never have a boring sandwich. Last thing I made was a brie, caramelized onion and julienne thin slices of pears on rosemary bread grilled on a panini press. Was so good. I have recreated a few of these sandwiches aside from the ones that require roasting a whole pork to get and such.
OMGosh.......this sounds wonderful!

·
Registered
511 Posts

I celebrated the day by having a BLT for dinner. I didn't even think to add that to my list of fav sandwiches but I LOVE BLT's too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Reuben on WHEAT?!?! oh, ICK! Did they use cole slaw instead of sauerkraut, too? One place did that...I was not amused.

I agree... Reubens need to be on rye. It might still be good, but it isn't a reuben.

BTW, I think I once posted a thread here where I ordered a reuben and it came with cole slaw instead of sauerkraut. When it came, I told the waitress that when it comes with slaw, it isn't a reuben, but a "special"... and I hate cole slaw and never would have ordered the sandwhich if the menu had said it had cole slaw on it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

I celebrated by having a fried bologna sandwich. I never eat them (not healthy enough), but I couldn't let National Sandwich Day go to waste.

Some of the sandwiches you guys have posted about are making me hungry.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts

I know this is relatively boring in the grand scheme of things, but I love a good BLT. And, sadly, I love nothing more than a nutterfluffer: peanut butter, jelly, and marshmallow fluff on squishy white bread. Mmm, I also love French Dips.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

My favorites are!:
Fried Bologna Sandwich no tomato!
BLT
Ham, salami, swiss cheese with a little mayo, lettuce

·
Registered
731 Posts

Mmm...BLT.

I only eat that at home since I like it a certain way.
Black Forest Bacon from Whole Foods- GRILLED outside on charcoal
Heirloom tomatoes
Butter lettuce
Avocado
Onion roll
Mayo

I guess that's technically a BLAT since it has avocado. Seriously though thick grilled bacon is the business.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Hm, I don't really eat a lot of sandwiches! I don't even keep bread in the house, lol! Whenever I go to a sandwich place, I usually just go down the line and pick out whatever strikes my fancy in the moment.

I do really like sandwiches that come with au jus to dip in. I also got an elk sandwich one time that was do die for. Mmmm I LOVE the tangy gaminess of the elk with a sweet mustard.

And if I were going to make a sandwich at home, it would need to have the following items along with whatever meat/cheese/bread I choose: Mayonnaise, romaine lettuce, and radish sprouts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts