Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much barfing is too much? Biscuit has thrown up in four isolated incidents in the last month, all seemingly explicable by different reasons, and I'm wondering at what point we should take her to the vet, and what questions we should ask.

Two of the four times have been at 5:30am (almost exactly), and she's thrown up a wad of dry leaves and basically nothing else. (She tends to eat dry leaves at the dog park. We try to discourage this.)

Once, Biscuit barfed up most of her dinner around 11pm. A friend was staying with us and I attributed the barfing to the stress of having an unknown person in our house. We had had a houseguest before and Bisc was fine, but for some reason I think this person stressed Bisc out more.

And then, one time Bisc barfed up most of her breakfast after she was fed her entire meal (1 cup) and then immediately taken to the dog park, where she ran around. She also sometimes gets "runners trots" or soft poo if we feed her and then take her to the dog park to run around. We've fixed this issue by only giving her half her breakfast before the dog park (this only happens on weekends, when the dog park opens later) and the other half after. Having a less full stomach seems to help.

Does all this sound suspect? I'm starting to question my initial judgment. Before a month ago, we had her for 6 months and she never puked once. For the record, Bisc get wormed (with Interceptor) every month and eats Taste of the Wild (we're in the process of switching to Acana)...she gets 2 meals a day.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Biscuit is seemingly fond of eating foreign objects ... I would be very careful about what she tries to eat. My Leeo just had a bad scare from eating a foreign substance and I thought I watched him so very well ... thought it was bloat or an obstruction ... cost $235 for a bad tummy ache and one heck of a scare! The expense I do not mind but the bill can get super high if surgery s needed. If the vomiting keeps up I would see the vet personally. Also , just wanted to mention as I am sure you more than likely know ... but for those new readers who do not ...running around after a meal can cause bloat where the stomach flops over or twists and blocks of the blood supply and the intestines, ... etc ... and your dog can die within a couple of hours if not treated immediately. Bloat is not limited to large breeds either. It can be any dog.

It is too hard to say what reasons dogs vomit for. I have heard it is just a dog thing??? Not positive on that!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tee, my border-X, used to throw up A LOT!! I took him to the vet and after numerous blood tests, and X-Rays, nothing was found.

I've switched him to Pro-Plan lamb/rice after reading that some chicken will cause stomach upset. That seemed to have helped a little but he was still throwing up once in a while. Watching him eat tho, he does have a tendancy to scarf his food like it's his last meal. He's a rescue dog, so I attribute some of that habit to having to compete for food. We've had him for three years, but he still thinks that he has to inhale his food. Dug on the other hand likes to sit back and enjoy his food. He's so dainty with it that its comical to watch him eat.

I got Tee a slow feed bowl, and that seems to have done the trick. He hasn't thrown up now in over a month.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She does like to eat sticks and leaves. She'll also go for ashes in the fireplace. We do keep a close eye on her and crate her when we're not home, mostly because we're worried about what she could get into. She's 13 months old, maybe (hopefully) she'll outgrow this phase...

She doesn't eat fast, she daintily crunches each kibble (even though she's a rescue, haha). It is funny to watch!

I sort of think she just has a sensitive tummy. Her new food doesn't have chicken, maybe that will help.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a pukey pup. It was not so much fun at 5:30am this morning, but at least she's cute. Sigh.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota has thrown up 4 times in the last 2 months, always due to stuff he eats. He's a rescue and was half starved when we got him, and he will eat ANYTHING. Anything at all. Plastic, pine cones, cigarette butts, whatever he can fit in his mouth. I try very hard to watch him when we're out, but it's hard to keep track of traffic, people, feral cats, etc. and his mouth every second.

Once, he puked because he ate too fast and choked, which is when I stopped using a bowl at all.

Muggsy, on the other hand, had what I am told is a typical GSD tender tummy and he threw up at the slightest provocation. One crumb of white bread or anything made with grains and he'd throw up. He'd get overexcited and throw up. He'd drink a little too much water and throw up. I switched him to a grain free food, and his treats were carrots, red bell peppers and zucchini, because that's all he could tolerate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Our new puppy seems to barf a lot as well, maybe once a week. He is a fan of eating cat hair, wood sticks outside and most recently poop. I’ve found that it usually only happens when he gets to excited after or just before eating. Sometimes we can see the culprit in the barf so we don’t worry too much. My policy is that as long as he is acting, eating and pooping fine, then he is fine. I will say that with him particularly, I watch him poop two times a day to make sure everything is “coming out” alright.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I will say that with him particularly, I watch him poop two times a day to make sure everything is “coming out” alright.
I have never been so interested in poop in all my life!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I know exactly what you mean - my husband and I have phone and email conversations about poop. The phone ones are fun when I'm at work ;)

The rational part of me says that if I know why my dog is vomiting (e.g., eaten something she shouldn't have, too long since last meal, car ride) and she's acting fine otherwise, I shouldn't worry. The hypochondriac part of me wants to call the vet every time she gives me a funny look.

My rational side would only be concerned about the vomit while you had house guests unless your dog tends to be nervous or had other signs of stress.

If I were in your place, I would mention everything to my vet on our next visit, but wouldn't make a special appointment unless something changed.

Also, I'd second what AbbyLynn said about bloat.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I sort of think she just has a sensitive tummy. Her new food doesn't have chicken, maybe that will help.
Sensitive tummy, my doG Godzilla would have a tough time with leaves and twigs/branches/ashes etc.:) Kidding, but sometimes a little bit of that stuff can cause a small earthquake in tummies

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My rational side would only be concerned about the vomit while you had house guests unless your dog tends to be nervous or had other signs of stress.

If I were in your place, I would mention everything to my vet on our next visit, but wouldn't make a special appointment unless something changed.QUOTE]

Yeah, that was the most puzzling episode. When it comes to house and home, Biscuit is of the "that bump in the night is probably a grizzly bear" mindset. Something about this particular houseguest (maybe her own dog's smell?) seemed to stress Biscuit out. She seemed like she was on alert the whole time my friend was visiting. Biscuit is a cuddle love dog, as her name would suggest, but she is definitely more enthusiastic about some people than others, and our read at the time was just that the excitement and stress of a quasi unwelcome houseguest caused yakking. I would be more worried if it had repeated itself right away or if she had seemed sick in other ways, but that was like 3 weeks ago and the only subsequent digestive troubles were the dog park vomming and this morning's wad of dead leaves, each separated by almost exactly a week. Biscuit seems to favor Saturday barfing, she doesn't understand the concept of "weekend."

We've been rather hypochondriacal about the vet visits so I'm trying to be "rational" about things. Her next routine visit isn't until July though. Hopefully we can convince her to stop with the leaf eating and maybe her new food will improve things. We give her yogurt every day for the probiotics.

The dog park vomming was by far the worst, BTW. It was mostly whole kibbles and by the time I got a bag to clean it up, it had been almost entirely consumed by other dogs and all the other owners were horrified and disgusted. Ugh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts