Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got three that I'm merging into one post since they're all small and I don't want to flood the board. Keep in mind, my dog is a three-year-old beagle/basset mix I rescued from the shelter at the end of January.

1) As the weather is starting to warm up, we've been able to be outside more and I've notice he's developed a liking to nibble on grass. So, after some Googling, what I've gathered is that this is seemingly a common behavior and one that's not commonly frowned upon, provided the grass isn't treated with all sorts of nasty chemicals (which mine isn't). Is that about right?

2) What do you do when you vacuum? As with most dogs, mine isn't very fond of the vacuum. At first I was putting him in his crate, but this seemed particularly cruel as he was trapped in there unable to escape the "big noisy machine." The last time, I tried leaving him out, so that he could go where he pleased, as near or far from the vacuuum as he saw fit (even resolving not to worry if he went into off-limits parts of the house, so long as he was comfortable). This seemed to make things worse. The only other option I can think of is to put him in a room by himself, but I see this as causing him to hate the vacuum more because not only would he see the vacuum as a big scary noisemaker, but possibly as something he's "punished" for by getting stuck in isolation while it is running. I realize him adjusting to the vacuum will take time and we're working towards that goal. But until then, I'm unsure of the best place for him to be while I'm using it. So, my question is, what do YOU do when it is time to vacuum?

And now the biggie...

3) We're having a urination issue. I'm calling it that because I'm 99% certain it is not a housebreaking problem. He's excellent about not going in the crate. Only once has he done it and I think he was sick then, because he also vomitted (and if you've never had to clean up a combination of stale dog urine and vomit first thing in the morning, boy are you missing out on some fun!) When I leave, he goes to his crate. When I come home, I come in the door, put my things down, then open the crate and we immediately go outside. The problem we're having is that in between the time I come in the door and I open the crate, he'll urinate a little squirt in the crate. I originally though this was just him simply really having to go and doing his best to hold it... but he's also done it at times when I've only been gone an hour or two and he's gone out right before. Like I said, he's been great about not going in the crate and we've not had any accidents in the house for a few weeks. So, I've concluded this is likely an issue with him being excited that I'm home. I've always kept my entrances low key. I simply come in, tell him a quiet hello as I'm putting my things down and getting the leash. I've tried just ignoring him when I come home (even for a few minutes) and it still happens -- and worse, he seems very stressed and anxious when I do. So, I keep them low key with a simple cheerful, but quiet, greet. He doesn't do it in the morning after not seeing me all night. Just when I return from having left the house for a period of time. Anyway, I'm at a loss at how to proceed. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it is just an excitement issue... having made my entrances as low key as possible, what next?

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, I've concluded this is likely an issue with him being excited that I'm home.
This seems likely. My dog did this for the first few months that I got her, and eventually stopped. I don't know if it was excitement or if she just needed to become more comfortable with me (she's somewhat anxious given her past), but I continued to keep my homecomings calm and it eventually did the trick. I would just be patient as long as you are sure that there is no possibility of a UTI or other urinary tract issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts