Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a litter of GSD puppies being born very soon that I will probably be putting a deposit on, but I won't be able to pick up my puppy at the same time as everyone else who places a deposit, but a month afterward. At that point the pup will be about three months old... should I just wait for a later litter??

Also, I heard that getting shots and neutering/spaying for a discount/free can result in bad care for my puppy? I used Spay USA and stuff to try and find cheap alternatives to getting my puppy the care he/she'll need, but some people I know said that was bad... what is true?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I got BB when she was 4 months old, If you want that pup get that pup.

I don't see how getting discounted/free health care is in anyway bad, unless the vet does a bad job.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm of the opinion that if you know you'll need to rely on low-cost vet care, now may not be the best time to get a puppy on purpose. I consider those charities to be for people who have fallen on hard times or who have gotten into a tough situation (finding a stray, inheriting an animal, etc.), not people who deliberately bought a pet knowing they can't afford proper care. What will you do if there's an emergency?

But to answer the original question, I have never had a bad experience with low-cost vet care (needing to use it to care for feral cats). If anything they were better than most of the for-profit vets in the area.

Oh, and I don't think 3 months is too old to bring a pup home. At least if the breeder is a good one who socializes the puppies and cares for them well. If it's a crummy breeder who keeps the pups locked in a cage all the time, well, I wouldn't support them in the first place. But leaving the pup in that kind of situation longer would certainly have a bad effect.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Three months is not too old at all. We got our puppy at three months. She came out of a hoarder's yard and had had no health care, so we had to play catch up on shots and worming. BUT, she came very well dog socialized, she'd been living with her mother and A LOT of other dogs in a yard for those three months. Nicest doggy manners of any dog I've ever dealt with. Just what we needed, as our elderly ACD mix does not appreciate dogs who run up to her, jump on her and try to force her to play. The puppy approaches other dogs in a polite and deferential manner, asking permission to approach, rather than charging up. A growl or just a disinterested look and she moves on. We could not have taught her this ourselves, the other dogs in that yard did ;). We've had to work more on the people socialization...she took to us rght away, I think she was ready for a home/family of her own and some human attention, but she can be a bit skittish around strangers who look "funny" to her. We've been taking her everywhere and showing her all kinds of people, she's gotten much, much better. It's only very occasionally now that she thinks someone looks scary.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Three months is fine, and may in fact be better for the pup socialization and doggy manners waise of the breeder does a good job.

As far as the low cost health care, for basic needs it's FINE, I do however reccomend you start an 'emergency care' fund and a Spay/Nueter fund. You really do NOT want to s/n until the dog is older (18 months at the youngest) and many 'low cost' clinics are gonna put the pressure on you to s/n too soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think 3 months old is too old. The pup will bond to you if you care for it no matter what.

I have used low cost spay/neuter and rabies clinics with out any adverse effects on my dogs. I had Kaida spayed at about 6 months old and she came out of it with flying colors and she was spayed at a low cost clinic. Saint is not spayed yet and I won't have her spayed until she is 2, which will be this May. Everything I've read on Dobermans suggests that you should wait until they are older before spaying or neutering. So, that's what I'm doing with her. The only thing I would worry about regarding low cost clinics is from my experience they don't do any blood work to see if they might be more prone to having an adverse reaction to the anesthesia. I had a foster react badly to it and he died on the operating table. Luckily, the vet was able to bring him back. He wasn't neutered at a clinic...could have ended a lot differently if he had been.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I got Muggsy at 11 months and Kabota is either 3 or 4 years old. (I got him 2 months ago.) So no, 3 months isn't too old for anything.

As to low cost clinics . . . look, if you can't afford vet care for a dog, you shouldn't get a dog. It's one thing to get a dog and then fall on hard times- been there, done that- but to deliberately get a dog when you know you can't afford vet care is asking for trouble and the one who will pay is the dog.

That being said, it probably depends upon the clinic. Most I've heard of are fine, but I've heard of a couple that were terrible.

·
Registered
891 Posts
As to low cost clinics . . . look, if you can't afford vet care for a dog, you shouldn't get a dog. It's one thing to get a dog and then fall on hard times- been there, done that- but to deliberately get a dog when you know you can't afford vet care is asking for trouble and the one who will pay is the dog.
^^This is very good advice.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Three months is not too old to bring a puppy home, BUT in this situation if all of the other puppies are going home a month earlier I would be sure to ask the breeder where/how your puppy will be living and if s/he will still be around other dogs after the litter mates are all gone to their new homes. If the puppy will still be around other dogs/puppies, great. If the puppy will end up being isolated, bad.

I'm of the opinion that if you know you'll need to rely on low-cost vet care, now may not be the best time to get a puppy on purpose. I consider those charities to be for people who have fallen on hard times or who have gotten into a tough situation (finding a stray, inheriting an animal, etc.), not people who deliberately bought a pet knowing they can't afford proper care.
Agreed.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Our last puppy came to us at 4months & 3 weeks and it was so nice that we missed alot of the icky puppy stuff. Get your puppy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure why using a low cost clinic means you CAN'T afford vet care.

I sometimes buy clothes at Target but it doesn't mean I CAN'T afford clothes at Macy's.

I definitely use low-cost clinics, especially for shots. Its just more convenient and then I have more money in the bank for if there was a real emergency. Our last cat was neutered at the SPCA, shots at the mobile clinic, but when his kidney's failed we still did numerous blood tests, ultrasounds, IV antibiotics, dialysis, meds, and sub q fluids, etc. for over a year. Well over $8000 in 6 months for him. And we would again for another pet. But yes, I still took our new puppy to the low-cost clinic for her spay. I just can't get over paying $600 vs $60 for the same exact service. And no, that also doesn't mean I don't really love her because I chose to shop around for services either. I know the vet at the clinic we use quite well from dealing with her with some ferrals and rescue fosters and she is just as amazing as our private vet. She chooses to work at the low-cost clinic because she wants to make the most difference. Doesn't make her a bad vet at all.

I also shop around for my own health care, and my children's. We don't go to the most expensive doctor just because that must mean he's the best. In fact, just last year my son needed an extra vaccine for school and instead of paying the $70 office visit + $20 for the shot at our pediatrician, I just took him to the school sponsored clinic where we only had to pay for the $20 for the shot. Did I have the other $70? Of course I did. Did I see a need to spend it on that? Nope. Guess I shouldn't have had kids either!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well obviously everyone is free to price shop, but many low-cost clinics are subsidized by either donations or government financing and intended to be assistance for people who truly can't afford care elsewhere. IF (that's a big if, not all low-costs are subsidized) you are using such clinics when you CAN afford elsewhere, you are being "wanty" and taking services away from people who truly are needy.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
3 months too old. Nope. I have had dogs as young as 4 weeks (given up by previous owner because she was not housebroken) and as old as 5 year old. Now these 2 dogs are 12 and 13 and no difference in them what so ever.

The low cost vaccines no to that either. Some pet stores do these within the store. We are all looking for ways to save a few dollars nowadays. I even know that our local county shelter will run these clinics at times to.

As far as the spay, I think that what is upsetting some is you have money to go to a breeder and get a dog. The breeder is not offering you a discount right? It is frustrating to see people who pay $1500 for a mastiff puppy and then go to the county shelter for a S/N voucher based on family income. This program is meant to help those on hard times be able to get their dog S/N. I am not familar with SPAY/USA but is it their goal just to get dogs 'fixed'. Some clinics are performed by vet students. A friend of mine while she was a vet student said it took her well over an hour to spay her first dog. I really do not want my dog on the table for that long, no matter what the savings were. The vet clinic where I take my pets, perform the county surgeries and the owned dog surgeries on the same table using the same procedure. I personally am glad to see you plan on S/N your dog than for it just to have litters of puppies over and over throughout its' life time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
\Wow! I cut costs ALL.THE.TIME to save money. :wink: With my kids, my vaca's, my furniture, my food, my pets. I give ALL my pets their 'regular' shots -- been doing it for DECADES! Why pay a vet $60+ for an office visit/shot when I can do it for $5?? All my pets get their Rabies vac's (when they need it) from the Mobile Vet Van for $10-$15. All my pets are S/N at a Low-Cost Clinic or the local Animal Shelter -- who's vet just HAPPENS to be my son's best friend's dad! $55 vs. $250+ is a no-brainer to me.

And no, 3 months is just great as long as the breeder socializes the pups, is keeping up on the vaccinations, and giving them proper stimulation. Maybe even including some crate training and/or housebreaking. I have a Shih Tzu I adopted from the former owner at a year old and she's bonded to me perfectly!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have to say I agree with the sentiment that just because you are using low-cost options doesn't mean you can't afford vet care. It means you are cutting costs where you can. I have an emergency fund for my dog should anything happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to saving $50 if I could to get my dog neutered if needed. I think they encourage you to do so, I used low-cost for some cats I had spayed once, and never once did they ask me to provide payroll proof that I could not afford a regular vet to spay them. Surely if the program had stated that this was for low-income ONLY, and to please not take advantage, I definitely wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Well obviously everyone is free to price shop, but many low-cost clinics are subsidized by either donations or government financing and intended to be assistance for people who truly can't afford care elsewhere. IF (that's a big if, not all low-costs are subsidized) you are using such clinics when you CAN afford elsewhere, you are being "wanty" and taking services away from people who truly are needy.
^
What she said.

·
Registered
952 Posts
my first dog was 6mo, the second 8yo and the third 3.5 mo. So I would say that 3mo is NOT too old.

I also think cheap vets doesn't have to mean bad vets. And that subsidized care is for those down on their luck. Not for those who are getting a puppy. But I am unsure what type of vet care you are talking about. Are you specifically asking is Spay USA is a good vet? Perhaps you could re-word your question if that is the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts