Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are visiting my parents at the beginning of June for a long weekend, and Hamilton will be joining us. They live about 150 miles away. We have many of the logistics figured out, but I'm not sure what to do about outside time. At home we have a large, fenced in yard that Hamilton spends at least an hour a day playing in (we're always with him). My parents do not have a fenced in yard. Hamilton is still iffy on leash walks - some days he's happy to, other days he'd rather not so we just play in the yard. I do not trust him off leash, even though my parents live in a low-traffic gated community (the neighbors drive like maniacs). We're working on his recall, but it's not awesome (he is only 4 months old). I was thinking of getting one of those tie-out things that you stake in the ground and it has a really long tough lead tied to it. I would never, ever leave him tied out alone in the yard -- which seems to be how most people I've seen with them use them -- but I was wondering if it is a practical solution for him to have some interactive running around play time in the yard while we're out of town? I don't want to buy one if it's not going to be useful while we're there, but I'd like to make sure he's getting enough bonkers time outside while we visit if possible.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I use one because I have no fence and there are times I want to just sit outside and enjoy myself. But I am going to be sure to use a harness so the dogs do not hurt their throats. I also live in a gated community ... but even so ... there is still traffic from time to time and they do not always follow the laws either. I worry more about the traffic than the wild animals here at the lake and in the woods.

I would personally invest in one and be sure to never leave him alone ... not even while you run inside to the bathroom and such ... dogs sometimes find a way of breaking their harnesses too. :) I found this out last night. Luckily Abbylynn was outside to keep Eddee in the yard. He was not easy to catch! Good job Abbylynn! :)

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Tie outs while supervised and attached to a harness are fine; I much prefer using a long leash that I hold if its for play time (also attached to harness). Easier to move around to give more play room and easier to keep the dog from getting all tangled in it and possibly hurt. A soft rope material or flat leash material is a little less harsh than the wire tie-out lines and easier to grab at mid-point to reel him back in. For lounging though, I use a tie-out attached to a concrete block.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a tieout but I've barely used it until recently. I do not have a fenced in yard so it makes my life a lot easier. I also add my 10 foot soft lead to the wire tieout to give Bella a total of about 35 feet to run around with. She's never unsupervised and I run around in the yard with her and play with her toys with her. Occasionally when she doesn't want to play and just wants to lay in the sun or wind she likes to do that without my pestering her.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I made my tie out for Eddee ... soft nylon cord and a hook on the ends. You can make any length you need. I made a 50 foot one. I also made sure it was a bright color ( yellow ) so as to not trip over it in the grass. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
We just moved into a house without a completely fenced yard & since we're renting, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on fencing the yard but I wanted Molly to have somewhere safe to play off leash. I picked up some 4' plastic chicken fencing, used twist ties to attach it to the wooden garden stakes I bought & hammered into the ground at 5' intervals. In all, it cost me about $40 to secure the area that wasn't fenced. I'd never leave Molly alone back there but it's definitely secure enough to let her play around while being supervised. If this sounds interesting to you, let me know and I'll snap a few pics & post so you can get a clearer idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We don't have a fence at all. Every morning at 7 am I tie out my puppy to potty while I shower and get dressed. In total she is out there about 20-25 minutes before I bring her back in. She doesn't mind it at all. It is our routine. As well we use it when I am outside with all the kids. She has 1 side of the yard the little kids have the other and myself and big kids go back and forth between sides playing, and supervising. It is also helping us do things like teach fetch without risk of her bolting out of the unfenced yard.

I would also spend the next 4 weeks working on leash walking. Today my pup brought my 12 yr old the leash when I told daughter to take her out for a potty break. She knows that when daughter takes her out there is usually at least a short walk and romp to happen as soon as she goes. (If I take her out midday we don't walk as I have the little ones napping inside). Having pup used to the leash is a huge help. Now my issue is her chewing through them, and she broke the clasp on 2 of them. She loves the leash and walks but likes to chew it and pull. We are headed out tomorrow to buy our 5th one. And she is only 3.5 months old lol.

All that to say I love our tie down stake and as long as a dog is not being left for hours at a time all alone out there they are great tools to have.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
We don't have a fence at all. Every morning at 7 am I tie out my puppy to potty while I shower and get dressed. In total she is out there about 20-25 minutes before I bring her back in. She doesn't mind it at all. It is our routine.
You're leaving a puppy ALONE on a tie-out in an unfenced yard?
I'm sorry but you are just asking for trouble or worse.
Strange dog runs by, attacks your dog, you can't hear it from the shower or respond quickly...
Raccoon, opossum, etc comes by...
Kid wanders by...
Dog decides to chase squirrel/rabbit/mouse and either tangles up in the tie-out and snaps a leg, snaps their collar and takes of running, wiggles out of the harness and takes off running or worst case, snaps her neck because the collar didn't break first.

You get the picture. The dangers vary depending on your location (urban, rural, etc) but especially for a puppy and while you are not able to listen for problems and QUICKLY (seconds max) respond, they are real dangers.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
We have a 100' in back & 20' in front, we put Skyler on them only when we are outside with him, playing or doing yard work & projects outside. He is never out without us with him..or Chloe the one we do trust offleash.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I use a tie out. Our yard is mostly fenced but only because two neighbors surrounding us have fences and the other side is a concrete wall, so three corners have holes. I do allow her to sniff around out there while I'm making dinner or something with the door open so I can see and hear her if need be. I also put her out there sometimes if repair people come over or whatever and she's being too loud. For a while we ran a line across the yard attached to clothes line stakes, then ran the line through the handle of a flexi leash. I really enjoyed that set-up because she couldn't get tangled and she could reach the whole yard. The best part was that she could run around without getting strangled when she reached the end of the line.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes I do leave her out there alone. She needs to potty and takes her time and I have to get ready in the morning. No one is walking by that early in the morning in my tiny village. My neighbor is outside having a smoke while he potties his dog at the same time. Cats wander in and out of the yard constantly, there is 1 in particular that comes and lays down with her while out there. I have my shower and get dressed, then bring her in before I start brushing my hair. SHe has breakfast while I finish getting ready and at 730 am my doorbell rings with my daycare kid. So yes she is alone as in no one from my family out there as my kids are all still asleep at that time. School does not start until 845 out here so no kids are out wandering at that hour. Opposums do not live in my province at all, or at least not as far north as us. As well as the only raccoons I have ever seen are in a zoo. They are not around here. No rats in our province either thanks to the rat patrol. So that leave the robins, cedar waxwings, and chickadees that frequent the yard. The cats that frequent it enough to may as well move in. And she is "friends" with the dogs on either side of us (as in they have puppy playdates weekly). That is the only time of day she is out there "alone" though with the neighbor out if there was a real danger he would help. Just as I have done when his dog has escaped their back yard etc. HEck there isn't even traffic around here. Rush hour is like 3 cars headed down main street.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
e
We just moved into a house without a completely fenced yard & since we're renting, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on fencing the yard but I wanted Molly to have somewhere safe to play off leash. I picked up some 4' plastic chicken fencing, used twist ties to attach it to the wooden garden stakes I bought & hammered into the ground at 5' intervals. In all, it cost me about $40 to secure the area that wasn't fenced. I'd never leave Molly alone back there but it's definitely secure enough to let her play around while being supervised. If this sounds interesting to you, let me know and I'll snap a few pics & post so you can get a clearer idea of what I'm talking about.
Sounds like a good solution, but my dad wouldn't want me putting up stakes and things in the yard! We aren't downstate visiting too often, so we'd have to take it down and store it between visits. Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would also spend the next 4 weeks working on leash walking. Today my pup brought my 12 yr old the leash when I told daughter to take her out for a potty break. She knows that when daughter takes her out there is usually at least a short walk and romp to happen as soon as she goes. (If I take her out midday we don't walk as I have the little ones napping inside). Having pup used to the leash is a huge help. Now my issue is her chewing through them, and she broke the clasp on 2 of them. She loves the leash and walks but likes to chew it and pull. We are headed out tomorrow to buy our 5th one. And she is only 3.5 months old lol.
We work on leash walking every day. If he wants to go on a walk, he walks with a loose leash, trotting along happy as a clam. If he doesn't want to go on a walk he sits and stares at me like I'm crazy and refuses to move. He doesn't pull or chew or try to get away, he just won't move. On the days he wants to walk, he'll walk for 45 minutes no problem. He's a dachshund mix... doxies are known to do what they want, I think that's the bottom line with him and walking. My parents live on the sound so I'm hoping he'll find the beach to his liking and we can do beach walks with him. I think contingency planning is one of the hallmarks of pet ownership, though! Hence the tie out question.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I attach a 30' training leash to the back deck support and Kabota wanders around the back yard while I garden. I would never leave him alone, though. I saw a dog break a leg once that way. He was tied out, unsupervised. The lead must have gotten wrapped around his left front leg, because when he suddenly lunged forward at me and Muggsy, the lead tightened around his leg and snap!

Breaking bones do not sound in real life like they do on TV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dog wines at the door.. allll the time(she is a beagle/boston terrier mix) I take her out for walks.. we do not have a fenced in yard. And on nice days I take her to the dog park. When I bring her back inside she goes back to the door and wines.. so we bought a tie out for her.. I take her out and put her on it.. and as soon as I leave her sight she startes barking and crying again.. I love her but she's stuck up my butt 24/7.. I can't even do the dishes without her crying cause i'm not giving her full attention!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts