Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in australia ad it's very difficult to find a good breeder close by. I already have one 9 month old gsd female, but she was from the last litter of a great breeder....

anyway i want to get another pup in about 10-12 months and i found this breeder. can GSD enthusiasts and experts, give me their opinion and for the price they want for one, i need to know that they are worth it. thanks

http://www.macklinshepherds.com/index.htm

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Why not contact your first GSD's breeder to recommend another reputable one?

I don't think long coats are part of the GSD standard, and so I would not say they are a good breeder, but definitely not the worst.
The thing that concerns me about this breeder is that they say "health certificate results are available upon request." Most reputable breeders purposefully display their results publicly, as healthy lines are something to show off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did, and i contacted the only guy that she recommended and he's not breeding for a couple of years, due to the financial crisis. which is fair enough. and then i was looking in a dog magazine and found an advert for macklin shepherds

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Contact them and ask them for testing results on their breeding stock. I tend to be weary of places breeding so heavily for specific physical appearances (ie: black, long coated). You tend to have to make "allowances" in other areas to gain what you want there. I would be worried that they are breeding dogs who may have hip problems or other problems because they are solid black and are long coated and that is their "main goal" of what to reproduce. If however all their breeding stock has great hips, elbows, eyes and is free of other genetic issues; then I would ask for buyer references and see if you can meet some dogs they have produced.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Turn the other way

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If you'll tell me what state you're in, I'll ask for reccs on my one list that's mostly Aussie dog folk- I know there's people on there with shepherds.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The Xeph has spoken.
*ROFLMAO!!!!* As much as you guys like to think I am the GSD Goddess, I am not :p I just know junk when I see it x.x

·
Registered
976 Posts
*ROFLMAO!!!!* As much as you guys like to think I am the GSD Goddess, I am not :p I just know junk when I see it x.x
I think everyone was waiting for you to post, Xeph!

Not knowing much about shepherds, it still looks like a less-than-reputable breeder. Breeding for a "flaw" such as long coats just seems ludicrus to me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Australia long coats are accepted into the show ring

Oh i'm in Tasmania

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
There's lots of things wrong

- Breeding long coats on purpose
- Untitled dogs
- Hip/Elbow scores not readily available for viewing
- Oversized dogs

Yogi has exactly the temperament that we look for in a future stud dog for our breeding program.
How would they know? It's a puppy. His true personality is nowhere NEAR developed.

These puppies are expected to have a good balance of prey and defence drive, with pronounced fight drive. These pups are suitable only to working homes such as Police, Corrective Services, Shutzhund Sport and Security etc.
Really? No titles that I saw that would even denote they parents have been trained in these things.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
There's lots of things wrong

- Breeding long coats on purpose
- Untitled dogs
- Hip/Elbow scores not readily available for viewing
- Oversized dogs

How would they know? It's a puppy. His true personality is nowhere NEAR developed.

Really? No titles that I saw that would even denote they parents have been trained in these things.
LOL....these are some of the things I was thinking but was not sure if maybe I was not reading the ped right or that maybe things looked different in Australia

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I am FAR froma GSD goddess (even farther from it than Xeph) and the moment I saw the pictures on the front page the first thing I thought was, "Those don't even look like GSD"

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I thought they were really awkward looking Groenendaels! LOL >.<

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
This dog looks like a cross between a Belgian Sheepdog and a Malamute, I don't see much of a quality GSD there

Whe A kennel advertises "We Breed for Longhaird black dogs" I would run right away. NO kennel should ever put color before working ability and health

And lastly this HUGE bitch

What is wrong with her feet!?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
http://gsdct.com/ <--German Shepherd Dog Club of Tasmania

Forshona looks good, as does Schafheide

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rang them, apparently for a short haired black sable they want 1500, for untitled parents...I was like...thanks but no

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Who did you ring? The two I posted, or the Macklin people?

A quality GSD isn't cheap...and color shouldn't be your priority (or the breeder's). Temperament and the proper personality should be.

I love sables, but if the best puppy in the litter for me is a black and tan, that's what I take.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Who did you ring? The two I posted, or the Macklin people?

A quality GSD isn't cheap...and color shouldn't be your priority (or the breeder's). Temperament and the proper personality should be.

I love sables, but if the best puppy in the litter for me is a black and tan, that's what I take.
The macklin people. I don't give a damn about colours callie was the least colourful pup, but her temperament was bi-colour gold. This lady was all "well the shorthaired sables are the most expensive, because of their colouring...." I was like "how about their parents, what makes these puppies worth 1500" and she was like "their colour and guard dog abilities" I asked her again what titles their parents had and she said "they're reg with AKC" and i said "but have they achieved anything that would make their pups worth 1500" she sort of went back into guard dog ability....i told her that i could get any dog from a shelter feed it and love it and it would prove a good guard dog...

i'm going elsewhere for sure...waiting to call tonight for the other two

1 - 20 of 25 Posts