Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at adopting a stray. They think the mother is half pit bull/ half jack russell and that the father is possibly a mastiff. I have always had Australian Shepherds and Great Pyrenees so Pit Bulls are totally foreign to me, except of course for all the horror stories I hear! Any thoughts, opinions, stories and experiences are welcome. I am looking for a 'forever pet' so I really need a dog who will be good with children in the future.

Thank you!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am looking at adopting a stray. They think the mother is half pit bull/ half jack russell and that the father is possibly a mastiff. I have always had Australian Shepherds and Great Pyrenees so Pit Bulls are totally foreign to me, except of course for all the horror stories I hear! Any thoughts, opinions, stories and experiences are welcome. I am looking for a 'forever pet' so I really need a dog who will be good with children in the future.

Thank you!
With the proper training, a pit can be an extremely lovable companion. However, the Jack in it may make it a bit high strung, and if it really is Mastiff, you could have a large dog on your hands as well. I've never owned a pit myself, but I do know people who have them and they are very kind and loving pets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've only really "known" one Pit. It was increadibly lovable and friendly with people. And it turned into Mr. Hyde whenever it saw another dog. This is just one experience so it doesn't mean much, but Pits were at one time (and unfortunately still are at times) bread specifically to be dog aggressive.

I think it's at least something to watch out for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took in a stray pitbull (possibly a slight mix) this past summer when I found him running through the streets. He is THE biggest sweetheart in the world. Fit right in with my other dogs and its like he's always been here. Don't let it's breed scare you away......a dog is all how you raise it.....love him and he will love you back. Oh and as far as being good with kids.....I brought Bruno around my friend's 2 year old son and he licked his face ;)

This is Bruno..... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
As you can tell, he fit right in ;)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
My thought is any mix breed and dog of unknown background is going to be a gamble. Typically Pit = good with children but some are not bred with the best temperament in mind, then you add JRT to the mix (Jacks can be high energy), then mastiff on top of that might be a very big hyper active dog with a high prey drive, possibly require a lot of training and exercise time. Of course it all depends on the genes, could be a medium sized mellow dog.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
*sighs*

That dog is a quarter Pit Bull and you are worried about it? What you are going to adopted is a Mutt, that is at least 1/2 mastiff and 1/2 Terrier. I'd be concerned less about it may contain Pit Bull and more concerned about the Terrier part of it. Terriers are high energy in general. They have high prey drives, and are GO GO GO GO GO! They normally don't do to well around small pets or other small animals. Normally are great with kids and people in general.

I know nothing about Mastiffs except they are HUGE dogs that drool and are huge teddy bears that will scare the poop out of you in the dark lol.

So... I'm seeing a Large dog that more then likely will drool, that is hyper active and will need to have daily walks at least 1 hour long.

Please don't freak out because it contains "Pit Bull". Take most everything you've heard on the News and throw it out the window. www.badrap.org is a GREAT Pit Bull resource. That dog is only a quarter Pit Bull, There is a good chance it won't even show the breed in it, which is sad because I can not think of a better breed myself. If it was me, I'd be looking more into Mastiffs and Terriers in general.

Good luck and I hope you adopt him/her

1 - 9 of 9 Posts