Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking about back yard breeders that sell their pups, I wanted to know what you all thought about taking a puppy/kitten from someone who's dog/cat accidentally got pregnant and are now giving away the pups. It happens alot around here, I'm offered a puppy or a kitten a couple of times a year from a co worker, friend of a friend, neighbor, etc. and I usually say no because I'm not in a position to take another.

The reason for this thread though is that I actually have been looking for a kitten and now I have a co worker that has an oops litter. I am getting some unexpected flack on a cat forum for taking a kitten from this litter. I am fully supportive of spay/neuter and all my animals are fixed, and while I think this guy should spay his cat, I honestly don't see a problem taking one of these kittens. Some people are saying that if it is easy for him to rehome the kits, he will be less likely to get the mom fixed. I feel like it is never easy to rehome puppies/kittens and that if no one takes them they will likely end up in a shelter anyway or else be kept by the irresponsible owner and continue to breed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If there are some cat rescues in your area, I would go to them first. Either get a kitten there, and then be very vocal at work that you got an awesome deal on spaying because it was through a rescue, or ask if they'd be willing to allow him to foster the kittens and they'd adopt them out (spaying first), AND spay mom too.

Barring that, I would ask who his vet is, and go to that vet and put down $50 towards mom's spay as payment for the kitten, and tell him you've done so. In most areas even if everyone just put in $20-$30 per kitten, that would pay for mom's spay. I don't think I'd just take a 'free' kitten.

There's a great article online about barn kittens and what you should know about them (that they aren't usually litterbox trained because they're outside in the barn, fleas, worms, disease, socialization issues..... I got banned from a local pet site for posting it, the admin had multiple free litters posted. I'm such a rebel.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If its not easy for him to rehome the kittens, what happens to them? It's not like he is the most responsible owner obviously, so better you taking the kitten than it ending up dumped on a country road or killed.

Take the kitten, and offer to take the cat to be spayed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would probably take the kitten.....but that's just me. I would however, lecture him on spaying, neutering, and how that is what a responsible pet owner does.....and that it is people like him that contribute to animals in shelters.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
The line my wife often falls for is, "If nobody is going to take them I suppose I'll take them to the pound and have them put to sleep." Over the past 20 years or so, we've had three cats taken in this way plus two whole litters and the mom that we were able to get into a no-kill rescue.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I definitely wouldn't mind putting $20 or $30 toward spaying mom if I know that's what it will be used for, and he will definitely get a lecture, I just don't know if I should feel like I am supporting something bad or not. The other worry is that the kittens will go to someone who thinks "free" means free...at least I know that a free kitten will likely cost a couple hundred dollars in vet bills.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I definitely wouldn't mind putting $20 or $30 toward spaying mom if I know that's what it will be used for, and he will definitely get a lecture, I just don't know if I should feel like I am supporting something bad or not. The other worry is that the kittens will go to someone who thinks "free" means free...at least I know that a free kitten will likely cost a couple hundred dollars in vet bills.
That's why I'd give it to his vet to put towards the surgery. I don't think the vet would mind. Then it also puts in HIS mind that he could ask others for that as well and get her spayed.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yup, ask him which vet he uses, make sure he's gonna do it, and then go "pay" the vet for your kitten. I see nothing wrong with taking an "oops" kitten IF the momma gets spayed before another litter happens.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some people think they're doing the world a great favor by providing everyone with free kittens/puppies (I swear, half the people in the "pregnant cat" section of the cat forum think this). And the faster the kittens/puppies go, the more firmly they believe that. If he's going to spay the mother (and soon. . .she's probably pregnant again already if she goes outside), then I would take one. I would offer to take her myself because I wouldn't trust him to do it, if he turned me down, no. If he's one of those who wants to spread his cat's progeny all over, no.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would offer to pay for the mom's spaying. Since you won't be paying for the kitten, you could pay for the total cost of spaying. I don't know what would be best for the other kittens, though. This is kitten season. Maybe if you contact a low-cost place, they would let you bring them all in for pediatric S/N super cheap, and then you could return them to the owner.

ETA: You can set payment up directly with the vet. Just get the vet's name, call her/him, and explain that you will pay for the cat to be spayed.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I will never pay for an unvetted, unhealthtested, animal. Rescue or breeder, I'm paying for the work and care that's gone into them, not the physical animal. Paying for the physical animal also makes breeding profitable and I think that's a bad idea.

I will, and have, given vouches for reduced cost spay/neuter or paid in advance at the spay/neuter clinic for people who had an oops litter and didn't want it to happen again or have the funds to get it done at a full cost vet. That, I think, is an act of charity and good will toward the *community*, but it's entirely separate from the accquisition of the animal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know if Gunther was from an oops litter or not (though I assume he is). My ex found him for 10 dollars on craigslist and went out to get him while I was at work (I had no idea).

I don't know that taking a free kitten would discourage him from getting his cat spayed. I've dealt with a lot of pregnant cats in my life. We rescued 4 pregnant cats from a house at the same time and had 20 kittens all making a mess in the bathroom. They were easier to get rid of than they were looking after until that point. I think having a house full of kittens might be enough encouragement in itself to get the cat spayed. But that's just my experience. lol.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Agree with trying to get mom spayed.

I just pais to get to cats spayed/vaccinated/tested for feline leuk, because some asshat dumped the two pregnant cats out at the barn where I have my horse. They were too freaked out to be caught at first, and had their kittens before I was able to catch them. Then I had to wait until kittens were weaned, before getting mom's to vet. Because one was preg again, and teh other in heat, cost of spays went up. Now I have to catch the kittens. I will get them fixed before finding them homes.

I feel like I have had some irresponsible person just steal my money and time, since he dumped them and made it someone elses job to get them fixed. If you can help the owner of cat and kittens get the mom spayed, please do it. Many places offer reduced spay/neuters. Unfortunately our city only does, if you bring them in in a Haveaheart trap, which I didn't own.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I don't know if Gunther was from an oops litter or not (though I assume he is). My ex found him for 10 dollars on craigslist and went out to get him while I was at work (I had no idea).

I don't know that taking a free kitten would discourage him from getting his cat spayed. I've dealt with a lot of pregnant cats in my life. We rescued 4 pregnant cats from a house at the same time and had 20 kittens all making a mess in the bathroom. They were easier to get rid of than they were looking after until that point. I think having a house full of kittens might be enough encouragement in itself to get the cat spayed. But that's just my experience. lol.
I have sincerely never met anyone who has an oops litter (or rescue litter) to find the finding homes the difficult part, honestly. They either do it for the money (bad) or because they're uneducated/broke/or really had an accident, and HATE IT. Not being spayed DOES increase the odds of the adult being dumped for sutpid reasons like getting pregnant (o_O Not that animals fault), but dropping the kittens at the shelter is either not a deterrent to them, because they're ****s who don't care, or the babies being babies is a huge turn off because they do care/are trying.

All of that said, I admit now and in advance, I find 'rehoming fees ensure good homes' to be baloney.

·
Registered
514 Posts
All of that said, I admit now and in advance, I find 'rehoming fees ensure good homes' to be baloney.
They don't ensure good homes, but they do ensure that someone who is too broke to pay $125 for a dog/cat -- and thus wouldn't be able to afford basic vet care -- doesn't get one. Because people really are that stupid.

It's also a deterrent for bunchers.

And it makes impulse people think twice. Free is easy. $100-$200 means making an investment, however relatively small, so people will think a little more first.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
They don't ensure good homes, but they do ensure that someone who is too broke to pay $125 for a dog/cat -- and thus wouldn't be able to afford basic vet care -- doesn't get one. Because people really are that stupid.

It's also a deterrent for bunchers.

And it makes impulse people think twice. Free is easy. $100-$200 means making an investment, however relatively small, so people will think a little more first.
I can tell you, after a *decade* on the board of directors for a nonprofit rescue : That's the theory. In practice? No, no it doesn't. People who pay the adoption fee are not a bit less likely to return the dog, or to refuse vet care, or for us to find it in a shelter. The application, the homecheck, those things tended to weed out people. 150.00? Weeds out no one. It's important, necessary to get to keep the rescue group working, because we have paid for vet care/boarding/grooming, but to weed people out? It doesn't weed anyone out. Matter of fact that couple of hundred dollars for a rescue dog that is vetted is often touted (and is!) a bargain over a dog who hasn't been vetted yet. It's one of the major *draws* for many people to rescue. It's cheaper.

Is it cheaper than a dog who is free and doesn't get vetted? No. But doing a home-visit, vet reference check, and asking people to sign a contract - that tends to prove who is going to vet their dog (has a history of doing so, and that vet reference will prove it), bunchers aren't going to let you come to their house and sign a contract.

I don't disagree with a fee, but deters people? Nope. Not even half-as much as a decent adoption process. The money is for the rescue to continue to run (and there's nothing wrong with that! It's good)- Joe-blow with an oops litter is asking for an adoption fee to 'deter bad people, though.... Joe-Blow needs to ask to bring the puppy to them, talk to their vet, ask them why they want a dog and why they want that dog, and have them sign a basic contract. Even 'prepay for the initial vet exam' or 'buy a crate and dog supplies and bring receipts', because that keeps money out of his hands and in the dog, where it belongs. Those will go far further than an adoption fee to weeding out bad owners and bunchers - and bad owners don't have issues with an adoption fee of a couple of hundred bucks. At that point it's just a cheap BYB dog.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Some people are saying that if it is easy for him to rehome the kits, he will be less likely to get the mom fixed.
I am sorry to say that he is unlikely to spay the mother whether or not it is easy for him to rehome the kittens. If it is not easy, he'll just drop them off at the shelter. I'd consider taking one of these kittens directly from him simply skipping the middle man (shelter). If you go to the shelter, you're just as likely to get a kitten from someone else's oops litter, directly or indirectly, so I don't see what the point of being stubborn about THIS litter is.

But if you want to offer to pay for his cat to be spayed, it would be very kind of you.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Does the guy really not want to spay his cat? Or is it that he is too lazy/busy, doesn't have the money, etc.? If it's the latter, then offer to spat her (try to find a low cost clinic, or maybe ask around rescues that may be able to help get you a deal) as well as taking one of the kittens. Honestly, I've only tried to rehome 3 kittens (one litter) and only one found a home. These kittens were fully vetted and I was offering to get them neutered when the were old enough. There wasn't no rehoming fee for people I knew (if it was a stranger off Craigslist I had one of $25). I personally do not think it is easy to give away free kittens as some people seem to have found, and its very likely if you don't take one that it could end up being euth'd at the shelter that's already packed to the brim of unwanted kittens.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts