Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My 2 year old Saint has been exhibiting signs of a possible food allergy. We are currently feeding Innova, mixture of kibble and wet. He has had some skin issues on and off which are pretty much under control with a spray and powder from the vet at this point. She mentioned that our next step would be a food trial, which is fine but to be honest .. I don't know how I feel about the prescription diets. Before anyone mentions it, let me just say that at this time feeding raw or even cooking for him is not really an option due to food storage space and such.
Further than the skin issues, my concern is his vomiting. Over the past few months it seems to be occuring about once a week. I am well aware that this can be another sign of diet sensitivity.
I came across Blue Basics Turkey and Potato for large breed adults. It has limited ingredients. No corn, wheat, dairy, soy or eggs. Now of course, there is turkey in his current diet and in this one so it could potentially be the source of the problem but I think eliminating the other things first may be easier.
He is a very finicky eater and liked Blue Buffalo when on just a regular version of it in the past, but had horrible gas and soft stools.
Any suggestions other than this brand are welcome as well.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I just purchased the Blue Basics Turkey and Potato limited ingredients one for my new rescue Eddee. He has been eating it for 4 days without any gastric disturbances ... and that was cold turkey from whatever the shelter was feeding him. I wish I knew more myself to help you. I wanted to start out with something made for sensitivities right off the bat. This is about all I know so far.

I also feed Taste Of The Wild Grain Free to my dogs as part of my rotation. I have no issues with this either. I use the TOTW Pacific Stream. (I also use 4Health in my rotation. But the 4Health is not grain free.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
While I haven't tried this particular version, my dogs did not happily accept Blue.

I would look into California Natural, personally. Best of luck with your guy. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the feedback :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Blue Basics also comes in a grain free Turkey now, just fyi. I also highly recommend Natural Balance LIDs for sensitivities. While some people don't like that meat is not the first ingredient, I have used the food with excellent results for my sensitive stomach, intolerant dogs. I also recommend California Natural. If you look on www.dogfoodadvisor.com and click on the left under "best dog foods", you will see a title for hypo-allergenic dog food that lists some other options. Good luck!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. I will check out the website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts