Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 16 week old French Bulldog Bacon peed on our bed two nights ago right after being walked. Thought that was weird. Next morning I caught him trying to cop a squat in the living room. Then later that day he peed in his crate for the first time after only being in there two hours. After that he had to pee every few minutes and when I took him outside he would try and pee every few SECONDS. So off to the vet we went.

Anyway, vet thought UTI but wouldn't give antibiotics until the culture came back positive so he shot Bacon up with an anti-inflammatory. That worked great. Bacon came home, feeling like a champ, no more pee issues yesterday. Slept through the night in his crate with no issues.

Today he's been great so far and then I got the call from the vet's assistant. No UTI. And they gave me the number of a behaviorist. I find this odd because Bacon KNOWS to pee outside. He's never peed in his crate and with his behavior afterwards, all said something's wrong. Anyway, I crated him for two hours today and came back and saw for the first time the tip of his penis. I assume it's supposed to be this red thing poking out. After a quick pee it was gone. But it got me concerned because it was the first time seeing it so I'm assuming he was in the crate licking himself because the area felt irritated. Am I crazy? Doesn't there seem to be something wrong? Anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It's possible there is something wrong, maybe an infection or irritation on the penis itself rather than a UTI. It would be worth while to go and have him checked again.

However, I think it's important to realize that a 16 week old puppy is not housetrained yet. A puppy doesn't develop full control of their bladder until around 6 months of age. Even if he's made a lot of progress in housetraining it's not uncommon to have accidents at this age as well as regression in training. I would go back to potty training 101, take him out every hour if you need to, watch him like a hawk if he's not crated which you should be doing anyway.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a heck of a time with my female german shepherd. She had to pee every hour and it was lots of pee...she had no control over her bladder:( I would be cleaning one area and she would be going in another area--drove me nuts!! I got her fixed and I'm not kidding when I say this..she hasn't had an accident since and she asks to go out all the time now. I saw an immediate difference in her from the minute she came home after her surgery.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Let me suggest something out of left field.... A 4 mos a pup may be teething as he begins to lose his baby teeth. His mouth is sore and he may be distracted... so his potty training might suffer.

The 'red rocket' is normal with male dogs and they tend to lick it... b/c they can. At 4 mos, a pup can be entering adolescence. If he licks for a few moments, that's normal, especially after peeing. If he licks for 5 minutes, that might indicate irritation. ...

If this doesn't sound plausible, you might call the Vet and ask if the anti-inflammatory might make the pup feel better (b/c of teething).

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If you still suspect a UTI, but the vet won't treat for it, get some plain yogurt and feed a teaspoon of it a few times a day. The live cultures in the yogurt really help.

The one time my dog has been to the vet for any kind of symptom, it was because I suspected a UTI (she was completely housetrained by then, well over a year old). The vet ran some tests and told me I was crazy, but yogurt cleared up the symptoms. I still maintain that it was an early stage UTI that was too early for the tests to detect.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Cranberry juice/pills can stop a UTI from developing, too. The pills are easier to get into a dog :p.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Muggsy was mis-diagnosed w/a UTI. I didn't think it was because he wasn't presenting w/any of the typical symptoms. Turned out he had a preputial infection. He licked a lot when he had it. Hope your fur baby gets better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts