Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
964 Posts
View attachment 33425

My first experience with a dog was in 1973. I was in the 3rd grade and found a stray border collie mix. My parents wouldn't let me keep it, but it hung around the neighborhood.

This dog was incredibly calm and easy to train with bits of cold cuts I stole from our fridge. People thought I had a talent. Thus, I thought I had a talent!

Other breeds of dogs immediately demonstrated how untalented I really was.
Some breeds of dogs will respond better to different types of Cold Cuts....My Labs liked Boars Head Turkey..
My Rottweiler doesnt seem to care what kinda Cold Cut she gets..as long as she gets potato salad

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yep, Lady always just seemed to know what I wanted. I can practically have a conversation with her to tell her what I want and she will get the command out of it somehow. When I did obedience for awhile and I taught "finish" I didn't even really teach it to her, I just said the command and she know what I wanted, I'm pretty sure she is actually an alien in a dog costume. Kodi on the other hand is stubborn, and very much a puppy at heart.
Kodi I love that avatar pic of your lady, she looks a lot like my Izze & I get an ache in my heart every time I see it :').

Izze didn't spoil me as a pup .... She was horrible & I mean HORRIBLE with all caps, I can't even remember all the things she distroyed during her turbulent teen months she did however spoil me as an adult. Izze is the real reason why I love resident evil so much, bc if Izze had been person, she would've been Alice, (my avatar pic for those who are familiar with RE). We could look at each other & know what the other wanted or was thinking, its weird bc I have that kind of relationship with Mr. buddy now, weird :/ but weird in a spooky good way. :)

Josefina was a challenge, she caused me to change everything about how I trained, the methods I used or how I looked at dogs in general but it was a change I needed.... Well you know what they say.... You don't get the dog you want, you get the dog you need lol.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks, that particular picture of her is one of my favorites.
I believe that Izze was a very special dog, she was always one of my favorites to hear about, its surprising how much your descriptions of Izze reminded me of Lady.
Lady is a serious dog, even still if I decide to ask something of her, but she is getting a bit silly in her old age. Her favorite thing to do now is sit up and give me a "high ten" then she will roll into my leg for belly scratches. I will definitely be crushed when she passes.
But good god did Lady spoil me. I was young when we got her as a puppy, so I grew up with her. (funny story was she was an "accident" puppy, meaning we were kind of looking for a puppy, but not hard and one day her breeders called and said "the puppies are ready" and we were wondering "what puppies and who is this?" Nevertheless we got the only girl in a litter of 6 or 7 (I think,) she was already spoken for, but they wanted a small puppy, and she was huge compared to her brothers.) She was never really a family dog though, she always listened to me the best. I liked to think I was adequate at dog training until I got Kodi. He must have been the one I needed though, definitely not the one I wanted.
I like that saying, maybe it will put it in my signature :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I never thought I was good at training....heck, I'd never done it before, then we got Caeda, and I realized I knew even less than I thought. Ended up with what most people have said (including a trainer) that she is a "difficult dog". I learned, Caeda learned. With the lost dog (Wally) that stayed with us for a night, as well as some friend's dogs (most of whom are untrained), I can get them doing something new in no time flat, they're all FAR more attentive and less independent than Caeda.
I wouldn't have the audacity to call myself a trainer other than to say that I'm definitely Caeda's trainer. But even more so Caeda is my trainer.
If we ever get another dog, I'll be SO much more prepared, she is definitely the dog I needed :D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts