Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose you had a herd of 500 cats that you needed to drive from San Antonio to Abilene. What kind of dogs would be most effective? How many would you need?

I think this is a job for a dozen Corgis.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I actually got this to play... and I have seen it b4... Very funnee...

I had a cat that would ride the horse with me. He would see me coming down the road and RUN to meet me. I would stop the horse and Tan Tan would put his feet on the stirrup and I would reach over and haul him on up. He rode in front of me and hung on to the saddle or the mane. The horse would give him the hairy eyeball, but she was trained to tolerate my ideas so put up with it (hairy eyeball and all).

Sometimes when I went out to check the heifers I would look back and the 10-15 barn cats would be following me and the horse. They woud go to the top of the rise and watch me as I went out and came back. Supervising.

My cats herd dogs. They are pretty good at it too. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
[My cats herd dogs. They are pretty good at it too.
/QUOTE]

This is funny! You should video tape that!

·
Banned
342 Posts
Just ONE huge problem with this thought.

CATS generally speaking are not herdable.

Cats as a species do not flock or group together and react to "herding pressure" in a way that makes it nearly impossible for them to have a affinity to stick together. Cats flight and fight response is such that it would require enough dogs in this case to be almost shoulder to shoulder to contain them especially when dealing with a large number of cats. Cats do not like to be near other cats for the most part.

Just my thoughts from having many herding
titles on my dogs herding cattle,geese,ducks,sheep,goats,turkeys and failed attempts
at many cats. :')

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
[My cats herd dogs. They are pretty good at it too.
/QUOTE]

This is funny! You should video tape that!
I am now down to 1 Pro Digital Camera and I do not have a Video Camera.

WARNING.. Small Pro Rant Follows:
As much as this stuff costs and as fast as it depereciates, I may never have any more than I have now. I HATE what digital has done to the cost of equipment replacement and the planned obsolescence of both that equipment and the software to support it. This is one very good reason I do very few progessional shoots these days. I have decided to shoot film.

My P&S digital camera died recently (shutter blew) and I just don't have the $$ to waste on a toy (esecially one that will be obsolete in two years).. so I have been using film (again). It still works.. nicely.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
LOL Sparkle, that's the whole idea behind the saying!

Just ONE huge problem with this thought.

CATS generally speaking are not herdable.

Cats as a species do not flock or group together and react to "herding pressure" in a way that makes it nearly impossible for them to have a affinity to stick together. Cats flight and fight response is such that it would require enough dogs in this case to be almost shoulder to shoulder to contain them especially when dealing with a large number of cats. Cats do not like to be near other cats for the most part.

Just my thoughts from having many herding
titles on my dogs herding cattle,geese,ducks,sheep,goats,turkeys and failed attempts
at many cats. :')

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My cats keep my dogs in line, sometimes I come in the room to find the 3 dogs each in a corner with Snickers sitting in the middle of the room not letting them move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts