Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep them safe? Do you leave them loose in controlled situations? Completely separate from the horses?

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Well, Chester isn't around horses anymore but we were regulars at a friend's barn (she sold the property).

I will admit that anytime you have a dog around a horse that it isn't a 100% safe situation and that even with well trained dogs and well trained horses, bad things can happen. We would let the dogs be loose around the barn and the horses. Her 3 plus Chester.

Some important things to consider-
The horses MUST be dog friendly. That means not easy to spook, used to looking where they are going and not aggressive.

The dogs need to be trained to give space. That means at least 10 feet distance from any horse at all times IMO. This is one of the few situations that I used something other than positive training; if Chester approached too close, I gave him a (light) swat with one of the riding crops. It worked for me and he's not the type of dog for that to create issues.

No barking allowed.

When we left on rides, the dogs were locked in the stalls. Some people trail ride with their dogs, but a) our dogs liked to go too far and too fast if allowed on the trails (they were reliable around the stable area not to wander) and b) we were riding off-the-track Thoroughbreds who were inclined to spook at stupid crap, the danger of the dogs around was too great.
To ride with the dogs, you need an amazing recall since you have less ability to grab a dog that darts or get between your dog and another person's dog (if riding on public land, you never know who you will encounter).

Anyone riding a horse near a loose dog needs to be a good rider and wearing a helmet. (I say helmets all the time, but I know plenty of people that don't wear them-- they've saved my life and the life of several of my friends so they're a given around me). No kids on horses around loose dogs OR dogs that are leashed but might bark or startle a horse.

One of my friend's dogs was kicked in the head by a pony. We weren't able to train the dog out of harassing the ponies by barking and nipping at their heels and one of the ponies kicked her smack in the side of the skull. Knocked the dog out, blood coming out her ear. Well after vet's hour in a rural county. Luckily the dog was fine and after that, was either not brought to the barn or was confined to a stall.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If it is a boarding barn, you keep them on a leash with you, and clean up after them. They shouldn't be loose at all. That is one of my pet peeves. I board at a boarding barn that charges the highest amount for board. I also buy the cat food for the 6 barn cats, and pay for their spot on flea/tick treatments. I HATE when I go to the barn to feed the cats, and a boarder will bring their dogs and let them loose. The dogs end up scaring/chasing the cats, and eating the cats' food, and crapping all over the place, and the owner is oblivious. When I mentioned it to the dog owner, they whined "But if I don't bring them with, they'll be stuck at home, since I've been at work all day". When I ask if they will keep them with them, they end up yelling for the dogs, and still not having the dogs stay with them.
If it is your property or a friend's property who has said the dogs can come, I would keep them on leashes until they no longer react to the horses, and not take them off leash unless they have 100% recall. I'd also teach the dogs that they do not go into the ring or paddocks.Be aware that some horses will try to KILL any dog that they can. Do not assume that the horses will be ok with your dog being near them.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Don't know how I do it lol but I have 2 cattle dogs around 12 yearling racehorses, 2 stallions used for breeding & 40 broodmares some with foals (they are turned out tho) the only thing is when we feed the pasture horses I put my dogs in a vacant stall or the office (they are house trained) not bc they chase the horses but bc the road we use is all asphalt & it is hard on their paw pads, plus it gets very hot even on pleasant days.

The rescue male I have, like Izze is a help to me not a hazard or hendrance. When we move mates & babies from one pasture to another (to avoid over grazing) I walk behind the babies to keep them with the moms & make sure they go thru the right gate & he walks on the other, he never bites or barks or runs at them he beards them like he would sheep with his eyes & presence. In the barn he follows me to every stall & lies outside the door, josefina is usually busy playing with her doggy friend Phatty, the forman's dog.

Since my dogs grow up around horses (except for Buddy but I assume he was a ranch dog at some point cuz he has "horse sense") I have never had an issue, to them horses are as routine as cars ;).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should be more specific. I work at a boarding barn, my lab comes with me everyday. I manage her very carefully, she's in her crate when I can't directly supervise, only off-leash in a large field on the other side of the property from the horses. Very nearly all the horses are used to dogs and non-reactive, and the ones that aren't we give a very wide berth.

The thing is, we spend the majority of the summer travelling to local and non-local horse shows. For us, that means living in an RV, temporary stalls for the horses, limited time throughout the day. I'm trying to brainstorm ways so she doesn't have to spend most of the work day in her crate. Most of the shows are on sand, so I don't really want to leave her in a stall because of the possibility of digging. I had thought of tying her up in the aisle so she can interact with me/clients and see some of the activity, but we've had loose, panicking horses gallop down our aisle before, so that makes me very nervous. There's limited room for an ex-pen, and she tries to jump out anyway.

I know that doesn't exactly leave many options. I was just hoping someone might see something I've missed?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Mine are off leash, I have also had a few panicky horses come thru the shed row (remember these are yearlings that don't know to give to lead rope pressure yet) Buddy helps me stop them lol as is a cattle dog's breeding to have the courage to stand down a charging bull, so a small yearling horse is nothing ;)

IMO there is no point in bringing a dog to the barn if they can't be off leash & with me :)

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Bring a rubber stall mat along to lay on the sand floors of the stalls and then you can leave her there. A stall would have plenty of room for a dog to be left in for the day, many dogs are crated for a full work day without an issue and a stall is at least 4-5 times as large of space.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Not to highjack, but I've got a somewhat related question.....how bad is horse poo? We came across some on a really long walk up the side of the highway and Caeda was sniffing, then grabbed something in her mouth with that guilty look....suddenly I remembered that there is a person that often rides her horse along the same stretch. Caeda seems fine so far, but she didn't get much (I ended up with most of it on my hands trying to get it out....uck!).

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Horse poo is no big deal. If your dog is on a regular hw and flea meds, she's probably got a fairly broad spectrum dewormer going on already.

Horses are vegetarians so that helps. My vet says nothing to worry about other than a basic upset stomach if the dog chows down a little too much.

A lot of horse feed has molasses in it and that plus the fresh grass/hay seems to make it irresistible to dogs.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I should be more specific. I work at a boarding barn, my lab comes with me everyday. I manage her very carefully, she's in her crate when I can't directly supervise, only off-leash in a large field on the other side of the property from the horses. Very nearly all the horses are used to dogs and non-reactive, and the ones that aren't we give a very wide berth.

The thing is, we spend the majority of the summer travelling to local and non-local horse shows. For us, that means living in an RV, temporary stalls for the horses, limited time throughout the day. I'm trying to brainstorm ways so she doesn't have to spend most of the work day in her crate. Most of the shows are on sand, so I don't really want to leave her in a stall because of the possibility of digging. I had thought of tying her up in the aisle so she can interact with me/clients and see some of the activity, but we've had loose, panicking horses gallop down our aisle before, so that makes me very nervous. There's limited room for an ex-pen, and she tries to jump out anyway.

I know that doesn't exactly leave many options. I was just hoping someone might see something I've missed?

Thanks guys!
Keep him in the RV/stall unless you can have him on a leash. Most horse shows have rules that dogs must be leashed. Do NOT tie so the dog can reach the aisle. I've had a dog run across the aisle at a show, when I was riding down it, and the leash went in front of my horse. I stopped, got off, and pulled dog to other side so I could go by. But that is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Question about horse poo, mine occasionally eat it (not in short supply here lol) but not very often, the horses here get a pelleted feed that doesn't have very much molasses in it, perhaps that's why they don't touch it very often, it's not as "good" lol. But could it also be bc they are being fed a good food as well? (natures variety instinct/ Stella & chewy's) could that also make a difference?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bring a rubber stall mat along to lay on the sand floors of the stalls and then you can leave her there. A stall would have plenty of room for a dog to be left in for the day, many dogs are crated for a full work day without an issue and a stall is at least 4-5 times as large of space.
Hmm. I hadn't thought of this. The mats we use for the horses are too thick for me to lug around, but there's no reason I couldn't get a couple of thinner ones for Bonesy. It would probably be much cooler for her in a stall than stuck in her crate. Thanks!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep him in the RV/stall unless you can have him on a leash. Most horse shows have rules that dogs must be leashed. Do NOT tie so the dog can reach the aisle. I've had a dog run across the aisle at a show, when I was riding down it, and the leash went in front of my horse. I stopped, got off, and pulled dog to other side so I could go by. But that is an accident waiting to happen.
Yup, she will definitely always be safely locked away or attached to me. There was a terrible accident a few years ago, a jack russell dragging a leash got tangled underneath a horse, the horse panicked and took off. Needless to say, the poor dog didn't make it and everyone involved was horribly traumatized. A year after that, this woman a few aisles over had a small pack of dogs loose and one got run over by a golf cart. There are so many opportunities for a needless accident. Also, there are rules about leashes, but no one follows them except me, haha. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I guess I'm lucky lol, I'm at a place where it's ok for dogs to be loose & be dogs, like many owners I couldn't bear the though of tiring them up or shutting them away in a stall all day :/... But then again my dogs are pretty well trained/behaved.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I guess I'm lucky lol, I'm at a place where it's ok for dogs to be loose & be dogs, like many owners I couldn't bear the though of tiring them up or shutting them away in a stall all day :/... But then again my dogs are pretty well trained/behaved.
Have you moved recently? I thought your Izzie died as a result of injuries she obtained while loose, and not within your sight. Aren't you concerned about something like that happening to one of your other dogs? I was under the impression that you suspected someone could have stabbed/cut her. Did you ever figure out what happened? Not trying to bring up painful memories, but if there is someone out there hurting dogs, it would scare me to have one loose.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Have you moved recently? I thought your Izzie died as a result of injuries she obtained while loose, and not within your sight. Aren't you concerned about something like that happening to one of your other dogs? I was under the impression that you suspected someone could have stabbed/cut her. Did you ever figure out what happened? Not trying to bring up painful memories, but if there is someone out there hurting dogs, it would scare me to have one loose.
No we have moved, I DID NOT let them loose & out of my site at the other place in Tomball , we are at the other farm now breaking yearlings in Industry TX but here is a totally different set of ppl & no dog haters here :).

No I never found out what really napped officially to Izze :(.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts