Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you keep your grass from getting burned from their urine? When we just had Molly it wasn't such a big deal, but now that we have Hailey too our lawn is really suffering. I've seen products in pet stores, stuff you can add to the dogs' water, or spray directly on the grass to keep it green, does any of that actually work?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I've got two females and two males; my grass is green with no burn marks. (There's a designated poop area with rock, but they pee wherever.) I don't know why, and the only thing I put in their water is apple cider vinegar.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, interesting. Why do you put apple cider vinegar in their water? How much do you put in?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have 2 female dogs and my grass is green with no burn marks. They go pee and poop in an area outback of our house so I would definately notice a difference there if so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think it's a female dog thing........it's just some dog's pee burns the grass. My female boxer's pee is awful! Our solution was to designate a pee/poop area. I bought a chain link dog run and we just leave the door open all the time and we trained all 3 dogs to go in there to pee/poop. We filled it with pea gravel and it works wonders! Every few days we spray it down with a cleaner and bleach to keep it from getting smelly and yucky. I often wonder why other people don't train their dogs to use the bathroom in only one place because it makes life sooooo much easier! No more hoping you don't step in poop in the backyard! And clean up only takes a few minutes because its all in one place rather than all over the yard! :)

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Our dogs have a designated area for elimination. It is about 12' x 12', sand pit with bark chunks on top. It is easy to scoop and then just hose down weekly. Now we don't have to hunt the entire 1/2 acre cleaning up the yard and pasture.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I put a teaspoon of ACV in my dogs water also..I dont have burn spots either.. I know the ACV adds acid to reduce the ph levels in urine.. maybe thats why?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've never had any problem with burn marks from the girls...in fact, were they urinate the grass shoots up like no other! The "potty area"'s grass in our front yard is twice as tall as the rest of the grass. LOL

I think designating a certain bathroom spot would be a good idea to help control the burn marks.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I only have one female and two males. One of my males (Cain) still pees like a girl. This is my first spring and summer with Xena. There really isn't much to ruin in our yard as its been RUINED since we moved here. Plus with children (I run a home daycare) and 3 dogs, I have vowed to forget dreaming of a green yard.. ITS JUST NEVER GUNNA HAPPEN. :D

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
it's not a female dog thing, it's an individual dog thing. maybe try changing food? We don't get grass burn here.

my aunt's male boxer killed her lawn.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've never had any problem with burn marks from the girls...in fact, were they urinate the grass shoots up like no other! The "potty area"'s grass in our front yard is twice as tall as the rest of the grass. LOL
Haha, same here! In the places where Libby pees, the grass is tall and dark green!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hm, I had always heard that this was a female dog thing, but I guess not! :p the stuff they sell in petstores says it changes the ph balance of the urine, but I don't want to waste my money if it doesn't help. I'm gonna try the apple cider vinegar, see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Hm, interesting. Why do you put apple cider vinegar in their water? How much do you put in?

I use it because it's healthy (I use the kind with the mother in it, sold in health food stores), may act as a repellant with fleas, mosquitos. Depending on the size of the water pail, I use a couple of tablespoons to 1/4 cup.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Im so jealous of all of you whos dogs dont burn their grass. Marley just kills it. We are reseeding this year and then Im just going to try to keep it watered down so it doesnt die again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm jealous too! lol! reseeding may end up being the only option, but I want to try something less labor-intensive first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts