Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this Westie/German shepherd debate has been going on, and now I wanna compare the ears. Ill post a pic below comparing them & honestly I think Stellas (in the middle) resemble the GSD more then the westie. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Stella is a puppy yes? Puppies almost always have larger ears when they are little and they grow into them as adults. Not to mention I don't think those photos are a fair comparison, The Westie you show has a lot of hair covering the length of the ears so you can't see the true length while the GSD is short coated and you can see the entire ear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stella is a puppy yes? Puppies almost always have larger ears when they are little and they grow into them as adults. Not to mention I don't think those photos are a fair comparison, The Westie you show has a lot of hair covering the length of the ears so you can't see the true length while the GSD is short coated and you can see the entire ear.
I couldn't find any westie pups with short hair,.that had their ears up, plus Stella usually has short hair like the gsd, her hair doesn't grow that long as the westie without falling out

·
Registered
933 Posts
Aside from the ears and tail, from the pictures I have seen, Stella looks almost identical to my sister's westie, just after he has been groomed. She keeps him in a short clip.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yep. When Molly & her sibs were tiny pups, the rescue group pegged them as Beagle mixes because they're ears were kinda long and hung close to the sides of their faces. Now that Molly has grown into her ears, they sit up much higher on her head like a terrier's though sometimes she wears them to the side like an Italian Greyhound.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you really want to know what she is, why dont you just ask where you got her from like has been mentioned? The likelihood of her being a shepherd over a westie is slim. And I think you will only get the same answers from people here no matter how many threads or pictures you post. Not being rude, just saying if your that curious just ask where you got her from.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you really want to know what she is, why dont you just ask where you got her from like has been mentioned? The likelihood of her being a shepherd over a westie is slim. And I think you will only get the same answers from people here no matter how many threads or pictures you post. Not being rude, just saying if your that curious just ask where you got her from.
She was listed as a bichapoo, obviously shes not that. When we called the breeder they kept saying she was a bichapoo.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
You also have to keep in mind she is a -mixed breed-. Her ears might be different than a Westie because she is -mixed-.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have seen many many purebred westies with ears just as big as Stella's. I would be willing to bet there is no GSD in Stella...she would be much bigger. Out of curiosity, why are you so resistant to her being a Westie mix? Even if her ears are bigger than a normal Westie, the rest of her conformation and her head shape most definitely have been influenced by a Westie. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen many many purebred westies with ears just as big as Stella's. I would be willing to bet there is no GSD in Stella...she would be much bigger. Out of curiosity, why are you so resistant to her being a Westie mix? Even if her ears are bigger than a normal Westie, the rest of her conformation and her head shape most definitely have been influenced by a Westie. :)
Haha I don't know! I just didn't see any westies on the farm, or know anything about them :-X

·
Registered
392 Posts
Haha I don't know! I just didn't see any westies on the farm, or know anything about them :-X
Intact male dogs miles away will willingly travel over when they smell a female in season. And it is entirely possible for the female to be bred by different males, too, which would explain why Stella's siblings look different.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
You could always read up on the Westie breed. :) I love terriers! My childhood dog was a Terrier mix. They are big dogs in little dog's bodies! If I should ever go out of my Schnauzer Mix realm ... I would certainly love to have a purebred Westie or even a Cairn Terrier. Terriers are generally crazy smart creatures! Lol! :)

What I like so much about the smaller guys is that they don't eat as much! Lol! ... and they don't take up so much space in the bed or on your lap! Lol! :) The funniest part is that I have always been a big dog person and owned big dogs for years .... up until 6 years ago ... now I am hooked! :D

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I couldn't find any westie pups with short hair,.that had their ears up, plus Stella usually has short hair like the gsd, her hair doesn't grow that long as the westie without falling out
She is a baby. whos hair has not had a chance to grow or even change to a adult coat. Plus you have already given her one hair cut. Her true coat will not crop up until around 9months.

I highly doubt she has any GSD in her at all. Stellas hair looks like it will be wiry like a westie. Just because you didnt see any other dogs other then the GSD or the "bichon" doesnt mean there wasnt a wandering dad, or her crappy breeders didnt breed westie in to the "bichon". why not ask these people? do you have pictures of the "bichon"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is a baby. whos hair has not had a chance to grow or even change to a adult coat. Plus you have already given her one hair cut. Her true coat will not crop up until around 9months.

I highly doubt she has any GSD in her at all. Stellas hair looks like it will be wiry like a westie. Just because you didnt see any other dogs other then the GSD or the "bichon" doesnt mean there wasnt a wandering dad, or her crappy breeders didnt breed westie in to the "bichon". why not ask these people? do you have pictures of the "bichon"
I don't have any pictures of the mother, and I called the breeder but all they're saying is shes a bichapoo. Which she obviously isn't :-\

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I don't have any pictures of the mother, and I called the breeder but all they're saying is shes a bichapoo. Which she obviously isn't :-\
Sometimes people will say anything to make a buck! :/

Heavens ... my Dad purchased Blu Boy and Leeo without realizing what he was doing ( he is not dog savvy at all) ... and he paid $100 for each of them and they came with antibiotics for free :/ ... because they were left outside in the rain on a cold day in a crate and had kennel cough at just 12 weeks old! ... just for example ...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes people will say anything to make a buck! :/

Heavens ... my Dad purchased Blu Boy and Leeo without realizing what he was doing ( he is not dog savvy at all) ... and he paid $100 for each of them and they came with antibiotics for free :/ ... because they were left outside in the rain on a cold day in a crate and had kennel cough at just 12 weeks old! ... just for example ...
Aw :-( . Stella had worms when we brought her home! She threwup the dewormer and we took her to the vet and they said she had worms! She doesn't anymore thankfully but I felt so bad for the poor thing :-(

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
There is no German Shepherd in that dog.

The mother, although you saw her, was probably not even a purebred Bichon. She could have been mixed with something else and simply looked like a Bichon. This would enable her to throw puppies that don't look like her at all, regardless of the dad. You've posted two threads now asking what she is. Everyone has said Westie mix, and I don't think the opinion is going to change. She is a Westie mix, if you didn't want a Westie you should have done your research and responsibly bought a purebred dog.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no German Shepherd in that dog.

The mother, although you saw her, was probably not even a purebred Bichon. She could have been mixed with something else and simply looked like a Bichon. This would enable her to throw puppies that don't look like her at all, regardless of the dad. You've posted two threads now asking what she is. Everyone has said Westie mix, and I don't think the opinion is going to change. She is a Westie mix, if you didn't want a Westie you should have done your research and responsibly bought a purebred dog.
Im fine with Stella. I don't need a purebred. I just simply want to know what she is, and i'm fine with that now. She's a well behaved trained puppy at 15 Weeks and beautiful. Regardless of what she is that's fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why dont you purchase a mixed breed indetifier kit and then you'll know for sure? They run about $70 I think and i'd check your local shelters because ours sell them as a fundraiser. You swab the pups motuh and they do a DNA test on it. You have to make sure it is first thing in the morning before they eat anything otherwise the tet will be compromised and you'll get back weird results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts