Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I like Irish spotting pretty much. I can deal with piebald (had better since I have papillons and they only come in piebald). I don't much care for solid colors, I find dogs with white markings of some sort more appealing in general. I really dislike merle and brindle. I don't know why, they look way too busy to me. I prefer black pigment to flesh colored or red, blue, etc.

My favorite color is a traditional type of tricolor with rich points. I also love rich, dark sables (like a mahogany sable sheltie).

Biggest thing for me is markings- split faces, blazes, collars, white feet, ticking/freckle, etc.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Im boring. Give me a sable or tri colour dog any day. Maybe thats why I have those lol

Im totally not in to merle at all. To "busy" of a colour for me. Although some merle I do enjoy the colour off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just love the color of this dog. (Sorry, I couldn't right-click on any of pictures to post them here directly.) That light silver and cream brindle is so unique and stunning. I would love to have a dog with that coat.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Im boring. Give me a sable or tri colour dog any day. Maybe thats why I have those lol

Im totally not in to merle at all. To "busy" of a colour for me. Although some merle I do enjoy the colour off.
Oh good, I'm not the only one! I would MUCH rather have a classic black and white, tri, or sable than merle of any color. It's so distracting to me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It is a formentino although they aren't supposed to be that dramatic according to the standard.

We have a couple in our litter seen below.

I haven't seen any problems with the dilute colours washing out unless dilutes are bred together too often. If you make sure to breed some dominant colours with your dilutes I think they are less likely to wash out.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Porphyria that's like the color of my dogs, though almost solid w/out the white.

Blackshadow is right the mask shouldn't be above the eyes. But it could still fade out w/ time. Standards can be so trivial.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I ADORE that color! Really dislike the ears on the adult, but wow! That coat is awesome. I had never heard of fawn and blue Dobermans before. Really a pity it's considered a fault. They look angelic.
It's not really a pity considering there are a lot more skin issues associated with blue/fawn Dobes.

As for me, I like a good bi-colored Dachshund. Jonas has biased me to chocolate and tan. A chocolate dapple or a red dapple would be a dream flashy color for me. Otherwise, I like a good black and tan Rottie or Doberman. I also am even more boring and really like a solid black dog. Brindle as well. I guess what I'm saying is I like any thing.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I am a big fan of brindle, with or without white (I have no idea why this picture is so tiny, it shouldn't be)...

And good old black and tan...

Maisy is the best of both worlds -- it's hard to see in most pictures, but the "tan" of her black and tan is actually brindle.

dem's pit bull colors madam..one of my fav coat color combos on a pit akshually.

http://ascpbr.com/Blog/Entries/2010/6/6_The_unwanted_Black_and_Tan.html

everyone wants a blue nosed blah blah...if i particularly cared about color...that would be high on my list.

along with a nice brindle.

i also really love yellow eyed piebald pits.

other breeds....well...there's a df dog...a sibe...i believe his name is Koozie..♥...gorgeous...ill see if i can find his pic..

and..(dont shoot me)...i have a been developing a weak spot for double merles..i do not want them bred deliberately...i just have a soft spot for them...its Buster's fault. Hes a deaf double merle aussie...will see if i can scare up a pic...

Koozie. Owned by Princess Tiffany. he is one of the coolest looking sibes ive seen.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I once took Willow to a Blessing of the Animals church service on St. Francis of Assissi Day. It is the only time I've seen an English Setter IRL and thought the dog incredibly beautiful. My Mom was with me and thought it was the ugliest dog she has ever seen. My Mom is not a dog person anyways. lol

Sometimes these things are changeable. I've been looking at a lot of Standard Poodle pics and at first the rich reds and dark browns caught my eye, but now I'm loving silver. I like the different shading at different lengths.

I do still like reds and browns though. Love the colour of an Irish Setter or a Duck Toller. I love a chestnutty chocolate like Labmom's Remy.

I love Willow's strawberry blonde. I have a cousin who has the loveliest strawberry blonde ringlets and I always envied them. Willow gets a little more red in her winter coat and against a fresh glistening snow it is gorgeous.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I prefer dogs with a lot of color...ie. not a predominately white dog. Especially not color-headed whites...I don't know why I just don't care for them...seems like two separate dogs sewn together lol.

Solid can be lovely (if nothing else, keeps me honest on picking a dog for reasons that actually matter), heavily pigmented merle can be pretty, some brindles are pretty... My favorite coloration will always be a rich traditional tricolor, though...like on a BMD, or some Aussies/BCs.

I do really like Webster's markings though...the black saddle over rich red with white points. Only works on certain types of dogs though.

I don't have a tricolor example unless I steal one off the net (though I know exactly which dog I would steal lol), but here's one of Web's coloring:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's not really a pity considering there are a lot more skin issues associated with blue/fawn Dobes.
It's a pity that there are so many skin/health issues associated with the colour.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I prefer dogs with a lot of color...ie. not a predominately white dog. Especially not color-headed whites...I don't know why I just don't care for them...seems like two separate dogs sewn together lol.

Solid can be lovely (if nothing else, keeps me honest on picking a dog for reasons that actually matter), heavily pigmented merle can be pretty, some brindles are pretty... My favorite coloration will always be a rich traditional tricolor, though...like on a BMD, or some Aussies/BCs.

I do really like Webster's markings though...the black saddle over rich red with white points. Only works on certain types of dogs though.

I don't have a tricolor example unless I steal one off the net (though I know exactly which dog I would steal lol), but here's one of Web's coloring:
Wow< Webster really is a gorgeous dog. He resembles a fawn, almost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just regarding fawn being sable... no, fawn is not sable. Sable is a separately inherited marking from the base colour. Fawn is the basic gold colour seen on so many dogs... this is inherited separately from all markings. You can have fawn parti-colours, fawn bostons, fawn selfs, fawn irish, fawn sable irish (very common in tibetan spaniels), fawn sable parti-colour etc. Sable is the black overlay present to differing degrees on many fawn dogs... but can be present on any colour including black.

The cane corso is called a blue fawn. Genetically fawn with a large black mask and the blue dilution gene. Genes are combinations of alleles that produce a genetic result. The term 'gene' is colloquial and not scientific and used to generally describe traits in inheritance. Some genes are simple, but most are rather complex and so is their interaction with other genes. The phenotype is the resultant appearance of the genotype... the phenotype relies heavily on the interaction of genes and outside influences such as environment.

The size and position of any markings is individual to lines. The reason that the quantity may be difficult for you to predict is that bits and pieces are inherited separately. The mask is inherited separately to the sabling, often you are able to see heavily sabled dogs without a black mask of any kind, lending an almost B&T appearance. Sometimes there is no sabling present at all, but an extensive black mask is present on a solid gold dog. Things such as coat density and type can also have a large effect on how the sable genes are expressed. A dog with more mane and guard hairs will no doubt show more sabling over the withers and shoulders. A bitch with less mane and a softer coat with less guard hairs will show less sabling but may be genetically identical regarding sabling.

Heavy or widespread sabling is often seen in lines were B&T dogs are prominent. They also often have no or very little black mask over the face.

Ironically in the tibetan spaniel only liver or putty coloured pigmentation is a fault... black is merely preferred. So a dog with a dark brown nose is acceptable... on this basis a chocolate may well pass the test... however, few chocolates have dark eye rims, light eye rims is a fault.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think Poly made a good point.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And it doesn't hurt that she posted a picture of an English Setter...

In my mind, the most visually appealing dog would be a Blue Belton English Setter.
english_setter.jpg
I would name him Sir Alistair Hugglesworth.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I am not usually a fan of all white dogs, but when I saw a picture of my puppy Faolan with his "liver" colored nose (calling it liver makes it sound gross lol) and one blue eye and one greenish brown eye, I just thought he was gorgeous! Its probably going to be tough keeping his coat clean though hahah

I have usually preferred black and white or tricolor dogs, and certain breeds with blue merle coloring I think are beautiful too.

I just love the color of this dog. (Sorry, I couldn't right-click on any of pictures to post them here directly.) That light silver and cream brindle is so unique and stunning. I would love to have a dog with that coat.
I also think that that is an absolutely gorgeous coloring!

·
Banned
280 Posts
My favourite colours! And breed =P I was gonna get a Husky. We went to see some pups and my mother preferred the grey and white. I had to admit they were quite stunning. But I also like a husky with a blue eye

So I think this picture has everything! Grey with blue eyes...They are so cute!

I also like brown and white

We also went to see Alaskan Malamutes..I preferred those to the Huskies. They seem more muscular or something..The breeder also said they curl their tails more than huskies so they are awesome =P

Bull Mastiffs..They are stunning dogs all round..And this picture is just too cute!

41 - 60 of 83 Posts