Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slightly fascinated with unique coat patterns and colors. So when I stumbled upon the little guy below, my heart went all a-flutter.

I have no idea what this color is called, but its gorgeous. He's a Cane Corso, btw.

I'm interested to see everyone's favorite coat pattern/color, so feel free to post a picture (it doesn't have to be rare, either.)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

A Mudi will likely be my next dog.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love Mudi's. They have the same temperament as my Callie. Too bad there's only like, 2 breeders in the US. :(

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Wow, that's a funny pattern on that Corso! I wonder if it's just a chance thing or if they can breed for that kind of coloring.

I tend to like merle/harlequin/piebald best--lots of color and pattern, lots of light areas to show the color off. I like calico cats (with large, well-defined color patches) best. . .but dogs don't come in calico!

Ooh, I like that Mudi!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I saw a dog somewhere that was a brown and red merle with brindling throughout its coat. Talk about a beautiful dog!

I didn't know that Pom's came in Merle!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I am a big fan of brindle, with or without white (I have no idea why this picture is so tiny, it shouldn't be)...

And good old black and tan...

Maisy is the best of both worlds -- it's hard to see in most pictures, but the "tan" of her black and tan is actually brindle.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do enjoy Maisy's coloring. Such a pretty girl. :)

But I hear you on the black and tan. I prefer the lighter, almost white tan bits though.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'm slightly fascinated with unique coat patterns and colors. So when I stumbled upon the little guy below, my heart went all a-flutter.

I have no idea what this color is called, but its gorgeous. He's a Cane Corso, btw.

I'm interested to see everyone's favorite coat pattern/color, so feel free to post a picture (it doesn't have to be rare, either.)
I'd guess Fawn with Blue Mask - fawn (light tan) with mask, which is usually black, but with dilution so it comes out blue. Could be called a lot of things, Fawn with Blue Overlay I've heard, or Blue Fawn. Is fawn considered sable?

I love a tricolor dog with rich tan/orange but not mahogany points, deep sleek black with sharply defined edges to both with a generous splashing of white up to Irish spotting. Think Greater Swiss Mountain dog, or a Dobe with white splashed on.

I also love asymmetrical face markings, like a big fat blaze that spills over onto one eye/ear. Combine that with red on a short single coat and I swooooon.

I like *dark* red Tollers, from no white to tons, as long as it's got a fat white tailtip I'm set. :)

I like brindle, but favoring to dark rather than light. I like sharply defined stripes, nice and dark on a background that sets them off well. Not so light and sparse it looks like a mistake, but not so heavy and dark it looks like light stripes on dark, either.

Basically I like defined markings. I don't like "muddy" dogs.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

I would call that dog a Blue Fawn. I am not sure it would be a blue mask since his whole head is blue, his body is tinted blue also. But I am not an expert in genetics, I know a lot but still learning.

I love black brindles (aka reverse brindles), and I love my grey dogs. But I also really love piebalds. I do also like dogs that have funny shaped markings. One of my two week old pups has a mickey mouse mark on his judges side, and I loved Bunny the Ibizan hounds playhouse bunny mark.

I don't like merle in some breeds, but love it in others (i.e don't like merle chi's or pom's, but like merle aussies, and border collies)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Great dane color genetics are pretty interesting, go outside the families (and even sometimes within the families) and you have a whole boat load of possibilities you could get. I think (although not accepted) chocolate danes are interesting looking.

Oh I also love my friend's Engie's color, blue roan and tan.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Is fawn considered sable?
Yes, fawn is usually a'y'/a'y', with sometimes a different recessive allele paired up. That is sable in genetic terminology - clear sable.

I would call that dog a Blue Fawn. I am not sure it would be a blue mask since his whole head is blue, his body is tinted blue also.
Blue fawn is what he is, with a mask. He has a very extensive mask which makes him look quite unique.

I have been going through Tibetan Spaniel photo pedigrees, as they are breed where many are masked, to see if the amount of masking is somewhat predictable, and it seems to be BUT not reliably so. There has to be a modifier at work that somehow ramps up or down the amount of masking a dog gets.

I usually see heavy masking with heavy shading (like with this following Tibbie), so it is very neat to see such a heavy mask on a clear sable.

- http://tibbies.net/coat_color.html

I have a thing for heavy shading and really vibrantly colored 'tan' on a dog - like when it is mahogany or rich red. The dog above gives me a thrill to look at. I so prefer black noses and leathers that I don't favor dilutes, and merling on any color doesn't have great appeal either.

SOB

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I'm partial to blue merles, esp in shelties (see my Tucker in my avatar). In a smooth coat, I love brindles and love pieds & dapples in daschunds. SOB, beautiful dog you posted!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I love that tibbie, my friend's tibbie is a fawn with very little mask if any.
He is Sommerlysts Jiba Cespa. (Just noticed he has a black/tan daughter, so he carries a't', which some say may influence the amount of black on his sable coat). That kennel seems to get some wonderful shading, but if you look at the parents of this boy - http://www.kennelteamofcati.dk/28825026 - Avigdor Jarrod, you will see they are very hardly shaded, but he has a good amount. Sometimes it seems there is no rhyme nor reason.

SOB

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
He's a dilute (chocolate) which is uncommon everywhere and a DQ in shows (black nose required). I've noticed Tibetan spaniel breeders will breed forward from a good dog despite color DQs though, and I think that is a good thing. (Oops, just noticed he's a she.:))

SOB

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
This is a young afghan hound I saw at a dog show... I hadn't seen this color in person before. I really like her "eyebrows:"

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I really like black and tan too. I do like Sydney's ticking but it gets us entirely too much attention on walks, lol. Everyone and their mother has to stop and chat and ask what breed she is and comment on how she's "every color" as my grandmother puts it. I also really like brindle a lot, although it doesn't come on many breeds I would feasibly own in the future.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts