Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I had Caeda out on her leash, trying to work on her heel for a while then let her sniff her way back to the house. We were pretty close and suddenly she started this weird hacking/hiccuping/weird swallowing thing. She hacked pretty hard a couple of times, like she was going to vomit but didn't. She wandered around the house whining for quite a while. I was pretty freaked out, but I had to give it a little time, a decision to cut into the budget for an emergency vet visit isn't a casual one. It got a bit better within the hour, and went away pretty much completely after two.

She did it again today. Hoooo boy. Vet time for sure. It turns out she must have swallowed some foxglove thorns and some got lodged in her throat. The vet said for now, the best way to go is to give her some anti-inflamatories and hope they fester out. If there hasn't been some major improvement within a week they'll have to put her under and pull them out :(

Has anybody had any experience with this kind of thing? Is there anything I might be able to do to make her more comfortable? The vet told me there wasn't really too much, but of course we didn't exactly have a lot of time since they squeezed me in last minute. The only thoughts I've had have been cold stuff....frozen carrot as a treat, perhaps soft food in a frozen kong. Are these good ideas? Any others anyone has? Should I exercise her less so she isn't breathing hard and irritating it? I know she is going to be whiny and hurting for a few days, I just want to do everything I can to help her

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Oh no! I have no advice as I've never heard of this happening but I sure hope Caeda can get them out herself. Poor girl. How on earth?

I would make a list of questions and call the Vet tomorrow and ask.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is already improving a little bit. Apparently the thorns are barbed at the end so they have to actually fester their way out (YIKES!!). Worst thing is that whenever I take her out on the leash and she pulls (which she still does regularly enough) the pressure of the collar on her neck seems to irritate her throat so it sets off the hacking. No more leash training until this is over :p Of course having the irritation and being in some pain makes her more bratty than usual, so its probably for the best to take it easy on her.

I've given her frozen kongs more often and she loves them to begin with but I'm hoping they're at least a little soothing. Wow I feel so bad for her!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw LuLu hack up a hairball before. And I mean HUMAN hair. She's been hacking on/off. Hope this does not cause a major medical issue cos it's almost impossible to keep hair off the floor and she play on the floor and her chews pick up the hair and she unknowingly swallows the hair

·
Registered
373 Posts
She is already improving a little bit. Apparently the thorns are barbed at the end so they have to actually fester their way out (YIKES!!). Worst thing is that whenever I take her out on the leash and she pulls (which she still does regularly enough) the pressure of the collar on her neck seems to irritate her throat so it sets off the hacking. No more leash training until this is over :p Of course having the irritation and being in some pain makes her more bratty than usual, so its probably for the best to take it easy on her.

I've given her frozen kongs more often and she loves them to begin with but I'm hoping they're at least a little soothing. Wow I feel so bad for her!
I certainly would put her only on a harness and not on a collar for the time being! Hope she recovers fast and completely.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Greater Swiss ,

When you get a chance , look up a pic of these "foxglove thorns" and see if you can locate and perhaps remove the potential for future foxglove thorns............

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sybille, yep, she's on the harness, it still hits the very bottom of her throat if she bolts, she doesn't do that much any more, but still does on occasion.

You have a good point oldhounddog, I did look up a picture. They're quite pretty and I'm glad that I looked it up because some types of foxglove are poisonous, yikes! I guess I should be relieved she just got the thorns! We keep her out of the woods, where I've seen the most (we live where there is more forest than houses). I haven't seen any on the lawn, I suspect that they are in the small drainage ditch at the end of the driveway, which the landlord mows, taking the tops off making it harder to identify them.

The vet said normally the thorns are at the bottom, and I've got to check her feet daily (at least when it isn't deep snow lol). In the spring when they start growing again in the ditch I might see if I can pull them up before they get too big. At least with the impeding winter and snow I'll have a few months off from worrying about thorns (hopefully anyway!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts