Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We normally take out our 5 month pup out at 10:45 for her walk and then after we go through the same routine of putting her in her crate, lights off...she knows it's time for bed. Last night she went by the door at 10pm wanting to go out which she never signals us like that so we took her out. Anyway, she sleeps until 6:45. Last night she woke us up at 1:40am with some noise in her crate. We couldn't believe she was up and she has had the same routine for 2 straights months that we've had her. We thought maybe she was just fibbing but after we ignored her a few times, we knew something was wrong. We took her out and she flew down the stairs and once out, she had several bouts of diarrehea. Poor thing :( I have no idea what it could have been. My only guess is that she ate something outside? Definately not on our walk but maybe earlier in the day with the dog walker. I added lotz of white rice to her breakfast this morning and now she is back to normal with her poop. Anyone have this happen? I don't want to run to the vet since it appears to be over..it was just so random. We're aren't giving her any cheese or peanut butter kongs today so she can settle and we'll give her more rice tonight for dinner. On a positive note, she is sooo good in that she waited it out with us figuring out if she just wanted to play or not and didn't go in her crate. :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Very common for pups to eat something that doesn't agree, resulting in diarrhea or puking... One or two incidents, with no other symptoms is not a concern. A lethargic (not sleepy or fatigued) puppy or one that doesn't want to eat is a concern.

Keep up the good training !!!

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Just be glad she didn't puke on you while you were sleeping. Something to look forward to if/when you let your dog sleep with you on the bed.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
A tablespoonful of PLAIN canned pumpkin will do wonders for an upset GI system.

I wouldn't worry about it unless like Hank says, it continues or gets worse or has other symptoms. Puppy eat stuff that gives them the runs, it happens. And yep, be grateful she made it outside. One of my previous fosters had a very traumatizing (for me!) incident in the middle of the night after scarfing down a hot pepper from the sidewalk outside a grocery. Let's just say I am thankful I have hardwood floors and not carpet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts