Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Breeder selling me this english bulldog for 1200$ (US) does this puppy look worth the price ? Sorry, i dont know much about dog cost. breeder told me the puppy is 3 months old and hes got a pedigree certificate.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
That does NOT look like a healthy bulldog head to me.

I'm linking to a photo on a blog I follow, because I don't know the original source, but this is the type of head *I* would look for in a pet bulldog.

This dog is a Polish champion, but he's representative of how sound a good bulldog from a careful breeder can be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dogstar, that bulldog looks amazing ! any idea of how the bulldog i showed you would look like when hes older ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Breeder selling me this english bulldog for 1200$ (US) does this puppy look worth the price ? Sorry, i dont know much about dog cost. breeder told me the puppy is 3 months old and hes got a pedigree certificate.

I don't know anything about what a healthy english bulldog looks like or what they cost, but that pup is a cutie :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Also, I don't know how much you know about EBs, but you could be in for a world of health issues and vet bills, especially if you're buying from a breeder you know nothing about. EBs can have a myriad of health problems and end up way more costly than other breeds.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I don't know who that dog's breeder is - but that's why even for 'just a pet' it can pay to go to a show breeder. For a breed like bulldogs who are so extreme, a breeder who REALLY knows conformation and soundness in equal measure is worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Pedigree certificates are useless to pet owners. They're just a piece of paper used by breeders to track a dog's lineage, they're not a mark of quality by itself. You should be paying for the health and soundness of the pup's parents in the price, not for a piece of paper.

Does the breeder have pictures of the parents, and are they proven healthy and good examples of the breed? If the answer to those questions is 'no', then do not spend the money. Bulldogs can have serious congenital health problems if they're poorly bred, and it's not worth it to buy a pup from an unproven background and get stuck with thousands of dollars in vet bills later on.

Here are pictures of two fantastic examples of a Bulldog. They are health guaranteed, with no digestive, skin, bone, or breathing problems. Perhaps contact their breeder for help in finding a quality puppy, I'm sure she would be glad to help.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What were the results of the sire and dams health tests? And what are the known health contidtions carried in the lines? Those answers would tell you if it's worth the $1200 for the pup or if you need to keep looking. English bulldogs average between $1200-$3000 for pups. The reason for the high price is because of all the necissary health testing, the extra expense of owning and raising the breed, and the high demand for cute cubby bulldog puppies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts