Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ari0004.JPG Ari0003.jpg

This is Ari. We adopted him about 2 weeks ago. He's 36 lbs, about 20 inches from the shoulder, looks lean, but is solid and is about 1 yr old. Opinions have been really mixed as to his breed. I've had all kinds of opinions as to his mixture. Some say there's some plott hound, shepherd, rat terrier, whippet, greyhound, pit bull (I don't really see pit in him and the shelter says it is against the law in my county to adopt out pit bulls and/or pit mixes). I'd be interested to see what you all think.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I think he looks somewhat like melaka's Buffy! But she's not sure what Buffy is, either, so that doesn't help. ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think he looks somewhat like melaka's Buffy! But she's not sure what Buffy is, either, so that doesn't help. ;)
That's what I thought too. He looks more Shepherd-y to me than Buffy though. I've decided that I think Buff is a mix of too many things to really tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Ari & Buffy look like they could be siblings. I don't really care what kind of mixture my boy is, one look at his sad eyes had me hooked. I was just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

I see Dutch Shepard mix.
highly unlikely. Dutchies are exceedingly uncommon and the community is pretty air tight. The chances of this being a random oops dutchie litter are pretty low.

Personally, I'm going to have to say APBT and cattle dog. It quite possible is just a straight up 100% pit as well. The head is blocky enough for the pit type. The body structure with the tuck belly and musculature is pit. The ears and tail make me thing cattle dog though.

Yeah.... definitely pit and maybe something else in there for the ears/tail.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hard to tell just from those pictures....but I could see some APBT in there...you will get APBTs with prick and half prick ears ....have any more pictures...close up of the face...tail out...complete side shot?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
For the purpose of this topic, I see GSD x Pit. The blockiness and the brindle look like Pit, the Prick ears and the 'expression' look like GSD.

For the purposes of the law... I am 100% confident that it is a GSD x Greyhound, because of the brindle and tucked tail/stomach :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I KNOW! I KNOW! PICK ME! PICK ME!

Well, at least I think, I know. :redface:

Anyone ever heard of a Cimarron?
Cimarrons are descendants from the dogs that Italians, Spanish and Portugese conquestors brought to South America. They dumped the dogs in Uruguay (South America) left to fend for themselves, and soon they became the native 'wild' dog from Uruguay. Eventually, they were domesticated and over the years have made their way into North America (by immigrants and such).

Cimarrons were used for mainly for guarding and hunting, but are have many other purposes in their native land including herding bulls and cows.

Height: Males range from 30 to 61 cm
Weight: Males range from 40 to 99 lbs

Unfortunately, because they were 'wild' dogs most mixed with other strays, and the Uruguayans cared very little about keeping the breed 'pure'. If you put two Cimmarons together, you'd notice some big differences. Which is why most people (in North America) think that they're simply a mutt as the breed standard is very bland and Uruguay isn't a very well known country.
Most have lion- like ears, while others (like yours) have pointy straight- up ears, or floppy ears. Some people crop their ears into the 'pit- bull' look.
Almost all are brindle, though some may be fawn or grey.
Some looks like a Mastiff mix, others a Pit Bull mix, even Shepherd mixes and Whippet mixes... Quite a variation!

It's probably a lot easier if I show you pictures!

Also... this is defiantly NOT a new breed, they have been with the Uruguayan people since the beginning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMG_1692.jpg Can I join in this "stumper"? He reminds me so much of the pup we just rescued a couple months back, only Clover is about 6 months old and already 45 pounds and around 21 inches at the shoulder! but coloring and build are so similar to Ari! We were told she and her sister were a husky/shepherd mix (her sister was all white with gray/silver down her back) - and we are awaiting the verdict from a DNA sample. People guess everything from pit to malanois to cattle dog, haha. Here she is (this is the best pic I have loaded right now):

I'll keep you posted if we get any conclusive results back!

·
Registered
362 Posts
His coloration and body reminds me of a cur. Cute guy though. :)

Look what I found. They both look eerily similar, but I would definitely not call that a fiest.
jackson.craigslist.org/pet/2465816526.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
Feist and/or some other kind of terrier x. Feists are terrier mixes themselves, and as there's no real standard for them (they are bred for function over form) they can come in every color.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/feist.htm
I guess you're right, HersheyBear, but the only feists I've seen look a lot like rat terriers except a little bit more stocky. My grandpa had a feist that survived pitbull attacks, raccoons, wild cats, and a rattlesnake bite, and who knows what else in between. That girl was some kind of hardy. The only thing that slowed her down were seizures from a complication with Revolution. I'll try to find a picture of her...

:focus: :)

Dmarcus, is he exhibiting any guarding tendencies?

·
Registered
717 Posts
View attachment 25335 View attachment 25336

heres a couple more pics. my vet says he is a plott hound/shepherd mix with some kind of terrier
O he does look Shepherdy there. But the brindle has to come from somewhere-- but other bullies and Boxers have that coloration too ( I agree w previous post --I think Dutch shepherd is unlikely they're just not enough of them out there mixing )....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ari looks very similar to our puppy Oliver. We too get many guesses on his breed. We are deciding he's a dutch shepherd/terrier mix.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I raise Dutchies. Don't see any in him at all. Many brindle mixes are labeled dutch shepherd, they aren't common, and even more unlikely to be mixing producing strays.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts