Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I posted a thread a few days ago about this 7yr old Aussie I adopted. I don't have much history on her, since the previous owner adopted her for only 6mths & the one before her had her until passed. So I knew I was going in blind, but she was just so so sweet.
I have realized as the days go on, and she warms up to us more that she has major food issues. She is really possesive of her bowl, her snacks, and will lunge and growl at any animal that comes near it (I have a pup and 2 cats). Now humans she's fine with bothering her food. She is a sweet girl other than that and the constant growling and nipping my pup when he comes over to see her. She doesn't like him at all! Should I be concerned? I don't want my pup to get injured or one of my cats to get bit because they are walking by while she's eating.
Other than that I am extremely happy we got her, she's a doll!

·
Super Moderator
11,720 Posts
I think some dogs just need privacy while eating and that's not unreasonable. I've had six dogs, all happily eating together here, but that's not always going to be the case.

Puppies are not often as appealing to mature dogs as they are to humans. They can be pesky and annoying. Corrections are to be expected, as long as they don't result in injury.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would probably go ahead & feed her in a crate or separate room from the other animals for now. You could work on the guarding long term but I would hate for anyone to get hurt in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I feed my old dog in her crate. I'm 95% sure nothing serious is going to happen, but it only takes literally two extra seconds to do it in the crate rather than on the floor, and it guarantees no conflicts between my dogs over dinner, with no downside. I figure, why press the issue?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys, I will do this from now on and hopefully it will settle her nerves

1 - 6 of 6 Posts