Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All those questions and inspections and rules that rescues have? Yeah, this is why.

A Chicago Public School teacher who recently adopted a rescue dog has been charged with beating the animal to death.

Police say 25-year-old Derek Fierro called 911 to report the death of his Labrador-Chow mix, Doc, and admitted he had punched the dog to death, ABC Chicago reports. When police arrived, Fierro was crying, and led them to the dog's body, which he had placed in the trunk of his car.

Fiero allegedly told police that he became frustrated with the dog, who had defecated on himself, and lost his temper while struggling to bathe him, CBS Chicago reports. Police say Fiero confessed that he punched the dog repeatedly.

Fierro teaches 4th grade at Eugene Field Elementary School in Rogers park, and lives in Lakeview, Fox Chicago reports. A Chicago Public Schools spokesman said the Office of the Inspector General is investigating the allegations.

Lisa Klotnia, founder of the Chicago Canine Rescue Foundation, which placed the dog with Fierro, told the Chicago Sun-Times they were stunned to hear about the incident because it could have been prevented.

“We’ll take the dog back if there’s something wrong," Klotnia said. "If he had called us last night we would have figured out a way to pick that dog up. We try to do the right thing, and it’s devastating to have this happen.”

Fierro is facing a felony charge of aggravated cruelty to animals, according to the Chicago Tribune.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Horrible! May I also echo that this person is actually teaching children!?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I wonder what will happen when a 4th-grader frustrates him? IME, 9-year-olds are a lot more frustrating than a dog any day. Scary.

But it sounds like the rescue DID all their questions and inspections and regulations and rules, etc. I doubt having any stricter procedures would have helped in this situation.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
All those questions and inspections and rules that rescues have?
Except, none of that actually can predict this kind of thing. Nothing can predict true imbalance, especially if its just a "fit of rage" type thing without putting that person in the context in which that comes out - which means they'd have the dog already. Plus, they never asked (at least not me) how I train, what I'd do if the dog "disobeys", whatever. They just cared if I had a fence and stuff like that - like I'm going to be stupid enough to let him lick Clorox off the floor or something.

And I agree with Bonesygirl - that's a teacher, working with some of the most frustrating animals on earth...human children? Seriously?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ug, how awful. The rescue is right - so easily prevented if he had just called and told them he needed help. This makes me especially angry because I'm a teacher, and I get so freaking tired of teachers who do horrible things and make the rest of us look bad. Not that it would be less horrifying otherwise, but it just makes it that much worse.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wonder if this will have any impact on his job? If I were his employer at a school and I heard about it (and with something like this how could one not hear!) I would seriously consider a suspension or make some kind of counselling mandatory for him to retain his job. If he could do something like that to a dog I wouldn't trust him around children!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Except, none of that actually can predict this kind of thing. Nothing can predict true imbalance, especially if its just a "fit of rage" type thing without putting that person in the context in which that comes out - which means they'd have the dog already. Plus, they never asked (at least not me) how I train, what I'd do if the dog "disobeys", whatever. They just cared if I had a fence and stuff like that - like I'm going to be stupid enough to let him lick Clorox off the floor or something.

And I agree with Bonesygirl - that's a teacher, working with some of the most frustrating animals on earth...human children? Seriously?
I hope he does not go back to teaching.

RIP Doc.

SOB

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Wow... I'm afraid for his students. I'll be honest there have been moments dealing with my dog when anger became overwhelming but thats when you step away, go for a walk or in my case whack a pillow around a little. To actually act on that anger? Jeez, that kind of rage is incredibly dangerous. Especially around children...

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I wonder if this will have any impact on his job? If I were his employer at a school and I heard about it (and with something like this how could one not hear!) I would seriously consider a suspension or make some kind of counselling mandatory for him to retain his job. If he could do something like that to a dog I wouldn't trust him around children!

It should. I know here, something like this could very well have your removed and your license revoked. Even if that didn't officially happened, a teacher with this on his/her name would have a real hard time getting a school to take a chance, given that the principal (if not the county in general) would not want the risk of bad publicity, parent anger, school board getting riled up, etc.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Like everyone else, I hope he is not teaching. Rest in peace, dog.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I sure hope he got fired.
I strongly agree with this.
Personally, if he can get angry enough to kill because a dog was FRIGHTENED to the point of defecation, then what will he do to a child that frustrates him? Fourth graders tend to be mouthy, rude and outright defiant, far worse than any frightened dog.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Doesnt look like all those questions and background checks mean anything...
Sometimes you just gotta rely on instinct.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
That is terrible. Someone who could do that to a dog is a danger to society imo.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
If i had a kid being taught at the school he was at i would call for his job on this one, someone who loses his temper Now i will admit to losing mine & shouting, maybe swatting a dog or two in the past, but NEVER have i used my fists & NEVER have i repeatedly done that!!!!! horrible, totallt horrible :(

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Doesnt look like all those questions and background checks mean anything...
Sometimes you just gotta rely on instinct.
Having a clean background check for some people just means that they didn't get caught yet, and putting down references, who on earth would put down a reference who would say something really negative.
Those things are just the only things a shelter can do to say they did their due diligence. Unfortunately relying on instinct can cause problems too.....instinct is subjective, and if someone was declined based on "a bad feeling" could scream discrimination or unfair bias. It would be nice if we could quantify "gut feelings" to make them a basis to decline people....unfortunately we can't and it results in these horrible stories.
I've heard a couple of other stories recently involving animal cruelty and it all makes me sick.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a dog; just one, and she is pretty small. I also am a teacher of very small kids.

My small dog is a sweetheart 99 per cent of the time. In fact she is usually lovely. But there is the occasional time when she is decidedly unlovely. Barking at nothing (not to me anyway, but something gets her riled up). Refusing her food, which I lovingly prepare as a combination of great kibble and home-cooked. Sometimes, she just has an off-day just as I do and then we just see each other later in the day when we are both feeling mentally better.

I could never imagine beating her or punching her to death. Not ever. Nor could I imagine her biting or mauling me to death and she is probably capable of that, despite her small size.

As for the children I teach, they are quite safe. I have some monster little boys who are hell on wheels. At worst, they are sent to the "Baby Chair" to reflect on their misdeeds. They never do of course because they are just too young. However, their behaviour IS improving day by day ...

Still ... anyone who would beat a dog to death and continue in a job as a teacher of young children needs a very close look at whatever the supervising body is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts