Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so silly about being at a loss for this, but I don't know why Brody is suddenly peeing in his crate.

He's been with us for 2 weeks now and has been doing so well with his crate training! He is definitely house trained. He hasn't had a single accident in the house and always eliminates outside/asks to go out.

Other than the slight panicking in the crate (which has completely stopped now thanks to a stuffed kong and some fun crate games) he has been really great in the crate - even for the two days he is in the crate 6 hours while we are both working the day.

The last 2-3 times he has been crated he is suddenly peeing in the crate. The first two times he was literally in the crate for 1 to 2 hours and had urinated outside right before being crated. The third time was this morning. He went for a 45 minute walk this morning and peed before being crated. One time was with the blanket in the crate, I removed it and then he did it again twice...

If this was a puppy I would know what to do (crate too big, not house trained, too long in crate, etc) but he is definitely able to hold his bladder without asking to go out for up to 6 hours (longer overnight!) and his crate is decent sized for him.

Any advice? Now that I type this I think I may take him into work with me tomorrow and check for a UTI, but he really doesn't seem to have any signs of a UTI. It's just the crate...

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is a tough one, and maybe just comes from still being fairly new to the enviroment. My guess is that he is still being a little defiant about being crated and he will soon discover this does him about as much good as the panicking did.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe he is marking his new den? Maybe he finally decided that this is home and that is his crate and so he is going to let everyone else know too.

Or maybe he isn't as house trained as you think but is being reserved about it because he is still kind of knew to the house and now his true colors are showing. . .sneaky :p

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or maybe he isn't as house trained as you think but is being reserved about it because he is still kind of knew to the house and now his true colors are showing. . .sneaky :p
This is what I was a bit worried about, but still no peeing other than in the crate!

I was at work for 5 hours today and I thought he'd peed in the crate again. His blanket is a little damp, but it occurred to me that he has actually been dribbling a bit when he's excited! I am now wondering if this is what has been happening anyway! It was never soaked in the crate so I bet he is just dribbling when we get home and not actually peeing.

My vet (my boss lol) said they can occasionally have this problem when they've been so recently neutered. I really hope that's it because I already have Bridgette who pees when nervous/excited! Oh geez!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts