Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Supervised Separation is often the hardest part of the CGC for dogs to handle. As dog owners, we don't often get the chance (or want to take the chance) of leaving our dog in the hands of a stranger in a strange place.
I really don't think Zero will have a lot of problems in that area. He just doesn't seem to mind who's holding his leash. One issue that may come up is he won't listen to anyone other than me. If I tell him to sit he will do so without thinking twice. If someone else does he looks at them like they just fell out of the sky, then looks at me as if to say, "Do I need to listen to this fool?"

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
He doesn't need to listen to them, just can't pull ridiculously on the leash or act stressed that you're gone. Things like that. They won't ask him to sit or anything like that.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
The Supervised Separation is often the hardest part of the CGC for dogs to handle. As dog owners, we don't often get the chance (or want to take the chance) of leaving our dog in the hands of a stranger in a strange place.
This is the part that Nubs almost failed. They passed him because it was almost 2 1/2 mins in before he started to react, but the handler could easily hold him back and keep his attention, and the fact that he passed everything else with flying colors.

It all depends on the evaluator. I thought I would have failed because Nubs on the dog greeting Nubs wanted to say Hi and even moved to do so, but I stopped him in mid stride and he was just fine the second time they walked by.

Depending on the evaluator also depends on the friendly greeting. Some expect the dog to be completely calm, others allow them to stand to be petted, others allow full out body wags as long as all four paws stay on the ground. Thank goodness ours allowed the full body wag because that's the way Nubs greets everyone. I have heard some people failing the dogs for that.

So.. It all depends on the trainer you are working with.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts