Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Thinking of taking in a senior dog...Good or bad idea?

874 views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  rosemaryninja 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I fostered a basset hound for about a week. He was a very cool guy and I just touched base with the organization I was working with to see how he was doing. He found a very, very cool home and I'm happy for him.

While going back and forth over e-mail with the later at the foster organization, they mentioned a 10 year old basset they have up for adoption. His owner had health problems and passed away. No one in the family is able to care for him so they turned him over to said rescue organization. I've always wanted a basset, loved the guy I was fostering to death and a laid back, senior dog might be the perfect companion for my laid back Cocker Spaniel. I kind of feel bad that my poor Spaniel is left at home alone all day and I'd feel better if he had someone to spend time with.

What am I getting myself into adopting a basset (or any dog for that matter) that old? I'm told he's fixed and house broken.

#2 ·
Older dogs are great companions for walking and lounging. None of the puppy or adolescent craziness. Only problem is going through the grieving process so soon after they pass on.

How did your cocker do with the foster?

Thanks for considering a senior:)

#4 ·
I've heard Bassets are really good dogs... Friendly, loyal, yadda yadda. : P

However, I'd be more concerned with his health... The more you get attached to this fellow, the harder it's going to hurt when he passes. He's 10 years old... Eek... My grand-mother's Shih-Tzu is almost 10 and she has a horrible history of bad health in just the past two years alone. Is he healthy? How does he get around? (Arthritis and so on.) Does he see well?

I'm not an expert and not trying to sound like one, but I'm just asking these questions I would ask myself before I got a "senior".

Good luck none the less... And psst, if you get him, send pictures! : P

#5 ·
The senior years can have health problems. I've done the cataract surgeries, weekly acupuncture sessions, years of costly meds and coped with the behavior changes.
I never regretted the extra cost as my dogs are with me for life but, cost is certainly one thing to consider.

#6 ·
You know, my heart just aches for those senior pets who's people have passed on & no family or friends are around, or willing to take over care ... leaving the elderly pet ... where? To live out the rest of his life scared & alone in a shelter or rescue? Or perhaps just PTS in a cold & unfamiliar place in the arms of a total stranger?
I say go for it, if you think he & your cocker can at least get along. Yes, you are opening yourself up to some heart ache, but you do that with any dog.

#9 ·
I'd say it's an AWESOME idea. Go for it!!! He'll love you till the end.

#10 ·
Just heard from the rescue organization. The guy is in foster care right now with 7 other dogs. He seems to get along fine with all of them except the alpha who growls at him, then he (the senior dog) will move off. Apparently he's very confused because his previous owners had a dog door and he can't figure out how to get outside. Aside from that, the vet gave him a clean bill of health and they think he's a dachshund/basset mix.

#13 ·
Adopting senior dogs is good karma!!

I've adopted 9 seniors (ranging from ages 8-13) in the past 10 years. They are THE best dogs! If you can handle the financial burden of having a senior, then I say go for it. I am left with just one dog now (a senior I've had since a pup) and looking for the right senior to bring in. It is painful to see them go, but I know they had a great life when they were with me and there's no greater gift. You'll never regret it.

#14 ·
I'm struggling with this idea also. Now I care so little about money, but for my last senior dog I emptied my bank acounts for her. So I can't repeat that too often. On one hand, you could get lucky and the senior dog could last many years and then go quickly. But unfortunately you could start having costly medical problems from the start. So one could set a mental limit on total costs (say 1-10k) and just don't go past that. Although in practice that probably wouldn't work. But there are a lot of senior dogs out there and to give several a wonderful last few years might be better than just exhausting oneself trying to keep one alive. I guess.

#16 ·
i have decided the next dog i adopt will be an older dane actually.

yeah you have the money issue, but if you can handle that, then i dont see a problem. yes he will pass, but ALL dogs will pass away. personally it doesnt matter if i get the dog young or old, i will grieve the same! but atleast look at it this way:

people are eager to get young pups from shelters. the old guys all get passed up. he may pass away sooner than a young dog, BUT atleast YOU completed the last years of his life and made it a HAPPY passing

#17 ·
Well, I'm off on a 2-3 hour road trip tomorrow to pick up the dog. I'm debating whether I should bring my Spaniel with me or leave him at home. On the one hand I'm not sure how well he'll handle a 2 hour road trip (though I suspect he'll be just fine), but on the other hand, I'd hate to get the senior dog back to my place and find that the two don't get along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.