Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK SO...

Many of you have read my post about my mini doxie who is a rescue from the puppy mill and has seperation anxiety. I have had him for almost a week now, and he has not gone to the bathroom outside ONCE. AT ALL. NONE. This scared me a bit as first, but now I realize he is still adjusting, and might not have had access to the outside world at all in the mills. However, he is a terrific companion, and is extremely loyal, and I will do whatever i can to help him get housebroken and go outside.

He initially would poop all over his crate when he was in it when we first got him (which made me give up crate training because he had no remorse for doing this, and continued at will), so it led me to try wee wee pads.

Wee wee pads proved MINIMALLY successful, and I only say that because now, he doesn't eliminate at ALL in his crate (but he also is not kept there when I'm away). However, a downside, he is NOT consistent by any means, and still has accidents on the floor (hardwood) other than the pads.

SO NOW I am at a crossroads:
He doesn't go to the bathroom outside at ALL, so I figure if he is going to go inside the house, I mideswell give him disposable wee wee pads to do it on rather than floor. BUT, He does not even consistently go on those so it's a double-edged sword.

Do I try crate training him again and start over? I don't think its possible since he is so scared of grass, even on our daily walks/potty trip attempts. I'm just worried he will go back to going in his crate (where he sleeps), and everything I have done to get him to go OUTSIDE his crate is tarnished.

What should i do guys?

Andrew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Give him ample water and food and go outside. Bring a chair and make sure its an OK day out. Then wait, and wait, and wait. Eventually he will need to go. May not want to but will want to. Keep on waiting, and waiting and waiting. Might take a while but he will have no choice but to go. When that happens give him praises like crazy and a nice treat!!! Then go inside, let him play or sleep then repeat at next feeding.

·
Registered
233 Posts
wait longer? also try playing with a lot, then when he takes a break to get water or eat a few treats, take him outside and just stay out there and wait till he goes. make sure to do this early so if it takes forever you stil have time to stay outside. you could also try playing with him outside too if he will do that.

oh and i heard there are some things you can buy that have a scent on it that will get dogs to want to go to the bathroom. get some of those and see if they help if you want to try that

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spoken to a behaviorist about my dog's situation, and she informed me it will be a lot of work, but it's ok.

She told me to start from scratch with crate training, but gave me some different tweaks.

I will try and see what happens!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
For the crate training, be SURE all scent of the previous accidents is REMOVED. THEN place his FOOD on the fllor of the crate. He SHOULD NOT be willing to relieve himself on the same surface that he eats from. Be sure the crate is ONLY big enough for him to stand up and turn around in (use the divider if needed.

When he's not in the crate, have him tethered to you. As SOON as you see him start to sniff as if looing to relieve himself BOTH of you go OUT the door until he relives himself OUTSIDE (you may want to place his poo's outside so he gets the idea). AS SOON as his bottom comes off the ground from relieving himself, THROW A TREAT PARTY, LOTS of treats, LOTS of praise and LOTS of pets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts