Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i have my english bulldog puppy 4 days ago. I was very anxious and nervous prior to getting her but I loved bulldogs. My ex and I had split up and he had a bulldog that was like my own so naturally when it ended i missed the dog and decided to get my own.

The reality of having a puppy is very different to having an older dog. I am exhausted. And I hate to say it that i'm miserable,stressed and overwhelmed. I have been crying and lost my appetite completely. I thought i knew what I was getting myself into. I did all the research but i guess reality is different and i feel terrible for having these thoughts. I love dogs.

I am thinking of returning her to the breeder although i know its only been a few days but I don't feel like its going to get better. I am also stressing about leaving her on her own when i go back to work. Loads of people i know have dogs that they leave for 8-10 hours a day and i assumed i could do the same but now i see this puppy needs somebody around hourly. I work 12 hour shifts - 3/4 times a week. My mother is gone from 9-6 and my dad can come home at lunch time for about an hour to let her out, feed her etc but i think she will be alone for far too long. People say she will adjust but i feel bad. I have looked into dog walkers/day care etc but there is none available where i live.

I understand this is all my own fault that i should have thought more about it before getting the puppy. I still love her, shes adorable but i'm just not sure if this is the right time for me or just the puppy blues.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lots of people raise puppies leaving them alone for 8 hours a day with just being let out at noon. It works out. So, yes you can do it that way.
Your feelings are not unusual (my wife claims I wanted to send our first puppy back 24 years ago; we have had two more since then) and both you and the dog will work it out.

Now, that is not to say that you shouldn't return the puppy. You aren't the same as me, or anyone else who might give advice. Just because we've been okay with it doesn't mean you will. You, and maybe your parents, are the only one who can make that judgement. You don't want to trash your health over the dog.
Just know that it gets better and almost everyone who raises a puppy is glad they did.
I still miss my first dog; sure am glad I kept him.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm not sure what to advise here. It's a lot of work but crying and losing your appetite is extreme. Maybe raising a puppy really isn't for you. Perhaps you can send puppy back to the breeder and adopt an older dog.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree. You may change attitude or may get used to the demands, but raising the puppy is not going to get better. If this is your first dog raised on your own, then you might return it now, and look for a 2- 5 year old dog that better fits your lifestyle. And, if it's your first puppy, I still suggest that returning the puppy now may improve your health. There are a number of experienced dog owners in this Forum, who also don't like raising puppies.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sorry to hear of your situation; however agree that sooner is better if you are to return; my dog is now 17mths and still has the puppy attitude so perhaps an older dog is better for your situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did contact the breeder but I have heard nothing back from them yet. I really do not want to give her up now, I?ve gotten so attached but I do feel like it would be the best thing for the dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got in touch with the breeder and they told me they are not in a position to take back the puppy even though they still have all the others. Now I don?t know what to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No there is no such organisation that I am aware of. I do not want to give the puppy up to shelter/pound etc.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Where do you live? Contact the bulldog club, they are sure to have a rescue system in place. Breed lovers want their dogs in good homes and do whatever it takes to keep the dogs safe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
you're only a week into this its puppy blues i have had dogs for 40yrs and every time i get a puppy i ask myself what the hell did i do. but they grow fast and the important milestones are measured in weeks and months not years like pepole so i would just relax and definitely reach out to any dog organization for support in your area call the local shelter/pound they might be able to help they usually try to do what they can to keep dog out of there

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being straight forward, you need to change your attitude about it. Every puppy is differnet, every puppy has a different temperament. My father got a puppy when I was a teenager, I was home a lot more than he was, so I helped out a lot in terms of taking care of him. That puppy was so easy to take care of, slept through the night, barely made a noise, got along with every dog and person he met...then earlier this year I got my own puppy and he was the polar opposite. Yes, I will admit, at one point I asked myself what the hell I got myself into, but as I always say with any difficult time "it will pass". Every single thing you're dealing with WILL pass. The needing to go out every hour, the waking up in the middle of the night and oh my god never going back to sleep, the SCREAMING (who thought a pupppy could make so much noise) but guess what? I've had my puppy for 8 months, he's turning 1 year old next month and things are SO much different. He sleeps through the night, he's quiet when he wakes up, he loves to play, he can be at home for 8 hours and it'll be okay.
I guess what I'm trying to say is yeah, this experience is probably different than you thought it would be, but that's because dogs are like kids, every single one of them is different, they all require different things and they all act in different ways. It's the puppy stage, it's supposed to be difficult, it's going to be tiring, but it'll only last some time and soon enough he will be just like the older boxer you remember. Stick in there, don't over think it, don't think you're doing anything wrong, keep a good attitude going, learn to laugh at some things. Hell, I couldn't get mine to go back to sleep once and literally fell asleep in the crate with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts