Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my name is Katie.
I really need some advice, my family is thinking of getting a new puppy a Pug.
And we also have a four-year old Pekingese/(Japanese Chin he looks like it)...And I was wondering, will my dog and the puppy get along? He is usually very scared around other dogs, usually went he meets one (from a walk) he is eager to go to it, and whines...when we meet the dog, he usually always has his tail between his legs and runs away...Also what are some pros and cons about the Pug breed?

Any help would be so greatful!

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
No way to say for sure if your dog would get along with a new introduction, though what you say doesn't sound hopeful.

I will say that getting a new dog that doesn't get along with an existing dog seems like one of the most tragic things that can happen. A shelter I visit frequently has dogs that were surrendered because "He doesn't like my new puppy." Hey, what happened to seniority??

I would never get another dog without being absolutely certain that my current dog(s) will welcome it (and not just tolerate it.) That means a face-to-face meeting - maybe several - under a variety of conditions.

Molly came to live with us only because Esther was even more excited about the prospect than I was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he has been to a doggie day care while we were on vacation, we seemed to be ok when we came to pick him up. Before he got fixed, he and a Chiwahwah had a "moment" together.

One of the reasons we are thinking of getting a new pup is because I believe my dog does get lonely, he is left home alone a lot. He is very well trained and he was easy to house break, and he is very sweet to everyone (he wants to check anyone out)..

Is that any help with the above information ---^

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would take him to meet the puppy. Let them interact and see how your dog responds. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
In general getting a new puppy because your current dog seems lonely is a bad idea. A new dog should be gotten because the people want it and are ready for it and nothing else. If your dog is fearful around other dogs though I'd be extra careful. I would only get a new dog if you can do introductions first and make sure the old dog gets along with the new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. And of course I want another puppy because I would give him so much love <3

My mom and dad went to a kennal to see what kind of puppies were there. And they found a male Mi-Ki puppy, and the saler said he would get along very much with other animals and most likely to my current dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
the saler said he would get along very much with other animals and most likely to my current dog.
In fairness, of course the seller is going to say that.

It sounds like you've already decided but please arrange a meeting. Nobody wants to see your current, or your future, dog end up in a shelter or rehomed because they can't get along. And it happens a lot.

I'm not going to ask what a Mi-Ki is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are arranging a meeting tomorrow seeing them together n-n so wish us luck.

A Mi-Ki is a very rare breed it's a cross between a papillon,maltause,yorkie,and japanese chin xD

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
A Mi-Ki is a very rare breed it's a cross between a papillon,maltause,yorkie,and japanese chin xD
I'm sure they're lovely, but they're not a breed.

(That's why I didn't ask.)

Good luck with the meeting. Observe with your head and eyes and not with your heart. You want this puppy, but you're going to have to be objective. If your dog, or the puppy, have reservations, back up and regroup. It should be love at first sight.

I may be expecting too much, but I have been heartbroken by stories from people on this forum who have had to keep their dogs seperated, or rehome one of them, because they just could not get along.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Good luck with your meeting... but RonE is right... they are not a breed. You are buying a mutt... not a breed.

Hopefully your new mix will get along with your older dog.
Another good point RonE made... do not observe with your heart. Keep in mind, your older dog was with you FIRST... and your responsibility is to him... dont force him to just "deal" with a new dog. If he is going to be miserable... it might be best to wait and gradually get your dog used to other dogs before you just jump into a new one.

Nessa

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hopefully your new mix will get along with your older dog.
Another good point RonE made... do not observe with your heart. Keep in mind, your older dog was with you FIRST... and your responsibility is to him... dont force him to just "deal" with a new dog. If he is going to be miserable... it might be best to wait and gradually get your dog used to other dogs before you just jump into a new one.

Nessa
Definitely agree. Even though new dogs and especially puppies are much more exciting, you need to stick with your first dog and only accept a new member into the family when you're certain that they enjoy each other's company.

When we got our second dog, it was definitely a time-crunched situation and I wasn't able to introduce them properly. My first dog was a very laid-back lab and the second dog was a three month old lab/husky, so they ended up getting along from the get-go and now they are the best of friends, but I think that has a lot to do with the breeds. It's never a good idea to rush these things, and I could have learned that the hard way had I not been so lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts