Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just registered, my first post to the forum.

I own two American Staffordshire Terriers. Both are females, M and C. M is seven and a half years old. C is four years old now. Originally I only intended to have M because I live alone in a 1 bedroom apartment. C was owned by my brother and due to circumstances beyond his control he couldn't keep her anymore, so I agreed to look after her "temporarily." Temporarily turned into permanent because I don't want to give her up! She's such a sweet and affectionate dog. Thankfully she gets along with M great, and they are the only two adult dogs I've known who lick each other on the face frequently. The new place my brother moved to doesn't allow dogs of her size anyway, so he'll be getting a smaller dog eventually.

A couple of months ago I was looking after my mom's dog for a weekend. He's a miniature dachshund, and he got along great with the girls. They're adorable playing with each other(the girls never get rough with him or made me concerned they might hurt him despite the size difference - very gentle), and the looks I get on the street when walking all three of them are priceless. I've since kidnapped my mom's little guy a couple of times to enjoy his company for a few days.

I'm now toying with the idea of getting a small dog of my own. It's not a decision I take lightly though, so I was looking for some input from others who have more experience owning multiple dogs of different breeds. Is this an ill-advised idea, or if it's not what breeds should I consider? I live in NYC and if I do choose to get a new dog, it would definitely be adopting one from a shelter.

Thoughts? If you need anymore info from me to guide your advice feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

·
Registered
35 Posts
The breed of dog usualy doesn't matter, I've lived in mulitiple dog households all of my life that consisted of completely differnt breeds. Now one thing I would watch out for is temperment. My 110 pound guy Skylar, and my cusins 45 pound dog both seem to be under the control of my moms 15 pound spaniel. So if your two would have a problem with another dog coming in and trying to become alfa, then do your best to find a newcomer that will remail docile as an adult.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Nothing wrong with having the different breeds or size of dogs together. I don't know the two dogs you have now so you would be the best judge for them. If they get along well with other dogs there shouldn't be a problem. Even if they play rough together things should be fine with a smaller dog. The smaller dog will learn to stay out of the way when it needs to or be involved when it's time to.
All I can say is right now I have a 12lbs minpin 45lbs boarder collie and 55lbs pitbull. The pit is the roughest of the bunch but has learned the minpin doesn't like that. Every once in a while he tries to play with her but has adjusted to her play terms. However with the collie he is more rough and tumble because she goes for that kind of play.
I had to step in a couple times when we first got the pit over a year ago. He was to rough with the minpin and she would get a little upset and let him know. I stepped in just in case things got more heated. It was not a serious issue and didn't happen very often. Never got upset with either of them just got them to stop and moved along. It mostly happened during ball play. The minpin would chase and get the ball while the pit would want to run and tackle her. Not because he wanted the ball ... he just thinks he's a linebacker.
I also treat them all equal. No one is favored over the other. They all get to do the same things and go the same places.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have three female dogs. Which I was always told was impossible. I have a boxer, an English bulldog, and an English bulldog/boxer mix. The mixed one is a puppy. I had a few Scuffles from the older ones at first. Honeymoon period is what that is called. Just some advice, if you do get a third dog the honeymoon period last for at least two months where you cannot leave the dogs unattended at any given time. This is crucial because they’re trying to establish a pack order, and it will possibly cause fights. It will not mean that they won’t get along permanently. But you have to be firm and monitor the situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.