Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to give me any tips on how to start?

Bandit has become my little farm partner lately, and seems to have a natural talent for herding activities. I have a flock of laying hens that I range on my property, and Bandit has shown himself to be wonderful at keeping them in specified areas, and he's so gentle with them, even the chicks. He seems to know when to follow them, when to lay down and give "the stare" and when to bark... when he gets bored, he starts herding the cats around the house, too. :D I haven't trained him in this area at all, and I myself know NOTHING about training stock dogs, so it's all him. ;)

I'd like to pursue this little talent of his, and teach him some "real" herding commands so he could help me out even more with my chickens. It might be fun to get into this with him and go to herding trials, too, if he really has a talent in this area. Anyone have any sites that could show me where to start?

As a bonus, here are some pics of him "stalking" Willow in my mom's yard... the last pic shows why I think there is still something other than just German Shepherd and Husky in that face - anyone else agree and if so, what breed? (I just can't put my finger on Bandit's breed mix... sometimes I think just Husky/Shep, sometimes I think there is something else in there... I'm thinking about getting a DNA test but that's a whole 'nother story.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
oh my!! He kinda looks like my supposed Husky/german mix!! Mine is just a diff color and also has a boxier face. but wow thats awesome!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have seen someone teach a dog herding only one time and that was on TV so who knows how realistic it is. Basically they took the dog out into an open area with a pen around it and a smaller pen inside. The let the dog run with some sheep (the animals in this case) and rewarded the dog for keeping them in one place. They started with the dog on a really, long lead (in case his herding instinct turned into a prey instinct) then graduated to no lead. I would check with some training clubs or even google herding clubs or groups.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
He sure is pretty:) I would find someone who has and trains herding dogs to help you, it will make a ton easier.

He looks husky/gsd to me, not sure what else would be in there? All kinds of dogs at work do that stare.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it's not his expression that makes me think there's something else there - I know that stance is common - it's just that the photo shows his blocky muzzle and ear set more clearly than other photos I've taken of him.

I'll look into what the options are in my area - might be a neat avenue for he and I to explore. Thanks for the input :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts