Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had three dogs in my life - an Irish Setter died at 12 years, Cocker died at 13 years, a Teddy Bear died at 16 years. I have always had dogs in my life. I love them. Now after Teddy Bear has passed I just don’t know about getting another dog. I am so lonely without him. I wouldn’t get a dog until next year. I am 67 and alone. I do think about care for a puppy, training I know what that all means. It’s like having a baby if not worse. At least diapers for baby. I am not sure I want to adopt a dog. Perhaps I am too old for getting a pup to love. Thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Needless to say, no one on the internet can tell you what to do about this. I got my last dog as a puppy at about your age and didn't have that much trouble with it. Sure, puppies are time consuming PITAs, but for me they're also fun and cute enough I enjoy that first year. Also I was healthy and in pretty good shape, but I do worry about what will happen to my dogs if I don't outlive them and have made arrangements for that with each one.

Now here I am again, older and after the year of lockdown not in as good shape, and I have another puppy. I'm having more trouble keeping up, but doing it. I deliberately chose a smaller breed this time, but that's not making much difference at this stage. His needs and demands aren't dictated by his size.

Depending on your circumstances and abilities, tolerance for having your life turned upside down for a few months, etc., give some real thought to adopting an older dog. You do need to chose carefully, but that's also true with a puppy. And don't forget kittens and cats. For some that may be the best choice of all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needless to say, no one on the internet can tell you what to do about this. I got my last dog as a puppy at about your age and didn't have that much trouble with it. Sure, puppies are time consuming PITAs, but for me they're also fun and cute enough I enjoy that first year. Also I was healthy and in pretty good shape, but I do worry about what will happen to my dogs if I don't outlive them and have made arrangements for that with each one.

Now here I am again, older and after the year of lockdown not in as good shape, and I have another puppy. I'm having more trouble keeping up, but doing it. I deliberately chose a smaller breed this time, but that's making much difference at this stage. His needs and demands aren't dictated by his size.

Depending on your circumstances and abilities, tolerance for having your life turned upside down for a few months, etc., give some real thought to adopting an older dog. You do need to chose carefully, but that's also true with a puppy. And don't forget kittens and cats. For some that may be the best choice of all.
You have thought and I appreciate that. I do know what a puppy means for all things. i am concerned about that. Know all the time and care it takes for any doggy. A lot of people don’t. I was just going to look a small dog, maybe 10 to 15 pounds. Thinking Maltese. Don’t want yippie Yorkers. My Teddy Bear was 12 pounds and a sweet heart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have thought and I appreciate that. I do know what a puppy means for all things. i am concerned about that. Know all the time and care it takes for any doggy. A lot of people don’t. I was just going to look a small dog, maybe 10 to 15 pounds. Thinking Maltese. Don’t want yippie Yorkers. My Teddy Bear was 12 pounds and a sweet heart.
I have in my will care taker for my dog and money for them and the dog to take care of him/ her.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Getting an adult, and skipping the obnoxious puppy stage, is a good option. (Says the person who is ready to strangle her SPoo puppy...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dogs are stressbusters, and since you say you don't wanna feel alone, I think getting a dog would be great for you. Don't worry about your age. All that matters is that you love your furry friend, and after reading your story, I'm pretty sure you will😄.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dogs are stressbusters, and since you say you don't wanna feel alone, I think getting a dog would be great for you.
Most, not all, adult dogs are stress busters. Just reading some of the threads here about people with problem dogs can highlight the difficulties posed by some dogs. However, I sincerely doubt any puppy is a stress buster. They are stress inducers for the first months. Cute, funny, but exhausting, worrying, etc., too. Anyone getting a puppy (and not just throwing it in a pen in the backyard) needs to be realistic about what is required in order to get to that stress-busting adult.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most, not all, adult dogs are stress busters. Just reading some of the threads here about people with problem dogs can highlight the difficulties posed by some dogs. However, I sincerely doubt any puppy is a stress buster. They are stress inducers for the first months. Cute, funny, but exhausting, worrying, etc., too. Anyone getting a puppy (and not just throwing it in a pen in the backyard) needs to be realistic about what is required in order to get to that stress-busting adult.
Thank you for the nice reply. My dogs have been family. Even the Irish Setter, a bigger dog, was in the house with us, hanging out with the pack. Puppies for a least the first year are like having a baby around and take time, training, and socialization. But they are worth it! 😊

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you are not against having your dog groomed (since you mention a maltese), you might also look into a shih tzu. After about a year old, they are really wonderful velcro family dogs that just want to be with you. Want to go outside? Great! Want to sit on the couch and watch a movie? Great! They can also be exercised easily indoors if necessary on bad days (both weather and you) by throwing a stuffed animal, etc to retrieve. I lost mine at almost 16 years old, but he was an amazing dog.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are not against having your dog groomed (since you mention a maltese), you might also look into a shih tzu. After about a year old, they are really wonderful velcro family dogs that just want to be with you. Want to go outside? Great! Want to sit on the couch and watch a movie? Great! They can also be exercised easily indoors if necessary on bad days (both weather and you) by throwing a stuffed animal, etc to retrieve. I lost mine at almost 16 years old, but he was an amazing dog.
I so agree. My dog was a Teddy Bear. Shitzu and Bichon. The most loyal and loving dog. He just wanted to be with me which I was so good with that. As a pup, he just needed love, exercise and training. You lost your after 16 years. Did you get another dog?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I suggest you try to find a retired breeding or show/competition dog from a reputable small breeder. This means the dog should have house manners including potty training. Additionally the dog will have a soft landing should anything "happen" because the dog would go back to the breeder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suggest you try to find a retired breeding or show/competition dog from a reputable small breeder. This means the dog should have house manners including potty training. Additionally the dog will have a soft landing should anything "happen" because the dog would go back to the breeder.
That is a good idea. I wonder how old of a dog that would be. I really would like to get another Teddy Bear dog which is a mix of Shitzu and Bichon. My Teddy Bear had all the positive traits of those two breeds. I also have thought about a Maltese or Yorkie, but I am really unsure about those two breeds. Thank you for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
2,628 Posts
Breeders rehome dogs for a lot of reasons, so the age is going to be variable. Sometime they hold a puppy back but as it matures it turns out it isn't suitable for what the breeder had planned (too tall, minor conformation flaws, doesn't enjoy showing, etc.). Sometimes they have a puppy returned because a previous buyer ran into difficult times. Sometimes they have a breeding dog they retire after one or two litters because they aren't a good mother or aren't producing what the breeder expected, sometimes they have older breeding dogs they retire after a long career of 4-5 litters, who are older (although in the case of females no good breeder will be breeding a senior dog so they shouldn't be elderly). The major downside of going that route is that it's unpredictable what breeders will have available when, and often it's a matter of luck finding a breeder with a rehome available unless you have some good connections within the breed or the dog world at large.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is a good idea. I wonder how old of a dog that would be. I really would like to get another Teddy Bear dog which is a mix of Shitzu and Bichon. My Teddy Bear had all the positive traits of those two breeds. I also have thought about a Maltese or Yorkie, but I am really unsure about those two breeds. Thank you for your reply.
All of those breeds you mentioned are small companion breeds and are very similar. Yorkies are going to be the more energetic of the options, but still entirely manageable. If you liked the mix of Shih Tzu and Bichon then you may really like a Maltese. Havanese are another lovely smaller breed with similar traits, and IME they tend to be more confident dogs in general.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All of those breeds you mentioned are small companion breeds and are very similar. Yorkies are going to be the more energetic of the options, but still entirely manageable. If you liked the mix of Shih Tzu and Bichon then you may really like a Maltese. Havanese are another lovely smaller breed with similar traits, and IME they tend to be more confident dogs in general.
I thank you for your reply. I was really thinking about the Maltese because it is a bit smaller. I don’t know much about the Havanese. I think it is bigger than what I am looking for, but it is a cute dog. I have heard house training for Maltese can be difficult. Granted I trained an Irish Setter, Cocker, and Teddy Bear that were wonderful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts