Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
We currently have two 3 year old German shepherd mixes that are brothers. we used to have a girl as well, but she passed away at 8 years old. Recently, we have been considering getting another dog. Since I am staying home this semester, it would be the ideal time.

The main issue is that our dogs are territorial with some dogs and not with others. Earlier, they were having a ball with a neighbor’s dog in our yard but there have also been times when the have growled at other dogs.

My mom thinks that their trigger is male dogs but are ok with female dogs. I have no idea.

Any ideas on if getting another dog would be a good idea? or Ideas about the type of dog and age that would be best suited for them?

Please ask any questions :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you have two male dogs that get along I would simply leave it there. You have two 3 year old dogs that live in harmony. Work with and train and enjoy those two dogs for a few more years. When they are around 8 I would consider introducing another dog.

Two males may eventually resort to disagreement with each other over a resident female. Two males may also gang up on a new male.

Sometimes you are better off not adding another dog.

IF you elect to ignore this advice, I would be prepared to keep the two you have separate from the new dog on a permanent basis. This means your work load caring for the dogs will at least double.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
We have a rule at our house (which we have broken more than once.) We "never" introduce a new dog into the mix unless she's met our existing dog(s) face-to-face. Current dogs always have veto rights.

This has prevented us from finding ourselves in one of the saddest possible scenarios - having multiple dogs that need to be separated 100% of the time. If you have a couple dogs that get along now, there is a big risk in messing with the chemistry by introducing a third.

We currently have two: a young, rambunctious male and a senior female. We've had three for extended times and - for me, at least, it's a bit much. It always felt like one of them wasn't getting the attention she needed. Some people manage five or more and seem to do fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Agreed with RonE - in this scenario you'll likely have the best success if you can work with a shelter/rescue/private rehome that will allow you to do some face-to-face meetups with your current dogs and the new dogs first, and possibly have a 'trail period' after you bring the dog home where you can return the dog with no judgement or penalty if things aren't working out. Ideally, the initial meetings should be somewhere 'neutral' (eg somewhere none of the dogs see as 'their' space) like a park or field, so they can get to know each other without the added stress of territory issues.

In general, dogs tend to be more tolerant of puppies being introduced into the household than adult dogs, so that may be an option (again, in general, if you know your dogs aren't good with puppies that's not going to work for you). However this doesn't always mean the dogs will continue to get along as the puppy matures into an adolescent and adult. The advantage of an older dog over puppies is you already have a good idea of their adult personality and how that may mesh with your current pups. Don't get me wrong, lots of people successfully integrate puppies into their households all the time! Just wanted to emphasize that there's no magic combo of gender/age/size/breed that will guarantee everyone will get along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts