Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering getting a puppy. I have always thought I would want a larger dog because they seem to be more easy going and better with children (future grandchildren) but we do not have a fenced in yard. We have 3 indoor cats that I think they will adjust to it but am concerned about the exercise something like a Labrador would need. Is it safe to put a dog supervised on a tread mill? This is not something I would want to rely on heavily but I have to consider all these things before we make the commitment. We are willing to walk the dog and I am a stay at home mom with a homeschooled teenager that really wants a dog too but I am thinking walking will not be enough. My son will graduate later this year and I will have the time to train the dog also. I would not have a dog that is not trained. We had dogs when I was a child (small dogs) and I had a large mixed breed dog in college. So I am not completely new to the dog world. But I do want to do all the research and be prepared. Any comments are very much appreciated. If you are wondering with so many animals why we would want another one. We live in a very small town and my son does have friends but I think a dog would be good company for him.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
It's very safe to use a treadmill. The dog would need to be acclimated to it and taught to walk on it first, but people definitely use treadmills. The important thing with all dogs is to remember depending on the breed the physical requirements will very, but training and mental stimulation are just as important. There is a big difference in my pup between just getting physical exercise without working on training. It's all about what you're willing to put in that will determine a dog breed best for you.

And I ain't wondering about your number of animals.. I have 6 dogs in my house. ;)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You can train a dog to a treadmill, but be aware that walking outside doesn't just fulfill physical exercise requirements. A good portion of a dog's brain is wired to scent, so smelling all the different things outside works a dog's brain. Physical exercise without mental exercise is not enough for a dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts