Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so since I've gotten Upendi we've had problems when we go on walks with a yellow lab who lives on the street behind our house. When I take her out to walk her, 9 times out of 10 the lab charges Upendi as she's never leashed or contained in any way and just left to roam the neighborhood. So that leaves me trying to prevent her from going after Upendi (my guess is they're both unspayed female and the yellow lab decided from day one she doesn't like Upendi.) Well yesterday put the icing on the cake, I took Upendi out for her walk and sure enough her comes the yellow lab. I'm telling it to go home and keeping myself between the two dogs. Well for the first time her owner was actually out. He stood there watching his dog growling with her hackles up and what does he do. Just stands in his yard yelling for her to come back he never even made an effort to come and remove her. It's ridiculous. So as of now I'm considering calling animal control and reporting him as we do have leash laws.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you call animal control - what do the laws in your state/area do? Will they contact the owners and provide a warning? Or will they simply take the dog because of the leash laws? What happens if they take the dog?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you call animal control - what do the laws in your state/area do? Will they contact the owners and provide a warning? Or will they simply take the dog because of the leash laws? What happens if they take the dog?
Depending on the state its a warning first. We reported a "demon dog" in our neighborhood and they came out and gave a good stern warning to the people. They were a Hispanic couple who would stand at their driveway and scream in spanish for a solid 30 minutes. While the dog was only a miniature doberman, he was still an extreme pest that would crap in our yard and aggressively charge my dog. Luckily I have a muzzle leash on Zeus or else he'd have eaten the little devil in one bite. The people stopped letting him out but here recently they've started it up again. we're moving anyways so its no biggy.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They would get a warning first, our AC is extremely leniant.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
And frankly, it doesn't matter whether they warn or just take the dog. If they warn first and the people comply, great. If they take the dog either immediately or after several warnings, again great. The dog is better off in the shelter where it has a chance of a decent home. It's even better off if it's PTS at the shelter rather than being hit by a car or even shot by an irate neighbor.

·
Registered
926 Posts
And frankly, it doesn't matter whether they warn or just take the dog. If they warn first and the people comply, great. If they take the dog either immediately or after several warnings, again great. The dog is better off in the shelter where it has a chance of a decent home. It's even better off if it's PTS at the shelter rather than being hit by a car or even shot by an irate neighbor.
The reason I asked what happens if the shelter takes the dog, so it doesnt' get euthanized. I'm not familiar with the laws in the states as kills shelters dont' exist here - so yes, it does matter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
before doing extremes in calling AC, why don't you go over and calmly talk to him forst and express your concerns and frustrations?? Then if that doesn't work, then call AC

I'm not familiar with the laws in the states as kills shelters dont' exist here - so yes, it does matter.
Yes here in the USA MOST AC places are a "kill" center! It is very sad!

·
Banned
335 Posts
I'd be less concerned with the consequences faced by the other dog and more concerned with the consequences that you might face. Are you prepared for potential retaliation? If you are the only one who has issues with this Labrador (or are the only person that the owner knows might have issues), then you are at risk of having AC called on you or face malicious actions by your neighbor, particularly if the dog is seized. It doesn't matter that any complaints against you might be false--AC has to check on you.

I definitely agree that there is cause for a report and I'd probably make one myself if I were you, but I'd think carefully about what you do before you do it.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
It does seem like the neighborly thing to do to walk over and politely speak to the owner about his dog. The problem with that is, if he doesn't stop the behavior and you do end up calling AC, he will suspect (rightly) that you are the one who ratted him out. A sane person wouldn't care about this, but your neighbor might have the potential to be very angry. He could be violent, he could vandalize your property, he could harass you or your dog.

I'd skip straight to calling animal control. That's what they're there for.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The reason I asked what happens if the shelter takes the dog, so it doesnt' get euthanized. I'm not familiar with the laws in the states as kills shelters dont' exist here - so yes, it does matter.
Amd the reason I said it doesn't matter what happens (whether or not they take the dog) is that the dog is actually better off either way. If the shelter did take the dog and euthanize it, at least it would have a quick death, quicker anyway than being hit by a car and lying at the side of the road. But, all shelters and AC that I know of will give at least one warning before removing an animal unless it's in immediate danger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts