Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about adopting a dog for a while now, and this dog on petfinder.com REALLY caught my eye.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19685980

It's listed as a Pug/Hound mix, but I'm not exactly sure how accurate that is. The website doesn't seem to be certain of this either.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any idea what this dog may be, and I'm also wondering if you think this would be a good choice for adoption.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Only you can say who tugs at your heartstrings and makes a connection with you. Go down and spend some time w the pup and see how you feel. Keep an open mind and just go with it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
There's nearly next to no information for outsiders to go by if it's a match or not for you. The only way you would know if its a good match is to call them and arrange to meet her. If you see something in this dog, then it's worth looking into. I think it's great you're looking into rescue and hopefully one works out and brightens up your life.

That's how I got my last pug- off a whim on a picture and basic details on a shelter website. We went to meet her and couldn't stop thinking about her after meeting a few other dogs at the shelter that day. Best dog of my life. I wouldnt have known that if I didn't go meet her though.

It's a possibility she might be a pug/hound mix as generally pug/beagle mixes "puggles" have become popular so maybe someone tried to mix a pug with a hound. Really at the end of it, if she's a melting pot dog but is amazing, does it matter what she actually is?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Beagles ARE hounds. Most Pug/Beagles mixes I see have the Pug coloring, but I suppose now and then one must get the Beagle colors. Or maybe they think she's too big to be a Beagle mix and possibly she's mixed with Foxhound or something. Anyway, she's cute! I agree; you have to meet her before you can say for sure that the two of you are a match. Hope it works out!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You'll find alot on Enablers here LOL. I agree with the rest, go meet her and see if it's a match!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody! I've heard mixed opinions on pugs. Are the generally prone to health problems? I'd like to avoid a dog that'll rack up huge vet bills. thanks again!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
My Pug has had very few issues, he does have VERY mild patteler Lux, he's nearly 10 now and starting to slow down. Honestly it really depends on the background of the pug. Of course this dog has a longer nose than a normal pug so many of the breathing problems should be minimalized. as far as other issues, any small breed can have the same issues.

·
Registered
731 Posts
She's a mix so she can have the potential to have problems of both breeds or health problems from lack of previous care or she can be absolutely fine. They usually will discuss what vet care the rescue has given her and what they have found and you can consider having a second opinion if you're worried of existing health issues.Pugs have breathing problems but this seems like a non issue as she has a normal nose. Smaller dogs tend to be prone to luxating patella issues. I haven't experienced it but I guess I got lucky. I don't know what issues hounds have, I don't know much about them.

Health issues can happen to any dog during the years and that's just a part of ownership. Unfortunately, its a crapshoot even with a perfectly healthy well bred puppy. Accidents happen and some dogs are accident prone too. Perhaps consider dog insurance or have a vet that does payment plans should she ever need care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts