Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is a very sweet and beautiful dog but she is very leash reactive. She pulls hard on the leash. When she sees a person, she will get a bit scared/anxious but not too horrible - when I first met her, she barked for a few seconds and then we were good. She is much worse with dogs though - she saw a dog walking yesterday across the street and started to go crazy. She got into the defensive stance and was obsessing over the other dog

now, she grew up in a household with 4 dogs and got along fine. She is living in foster home with a foster lady's adopted dog and is doing fine so I don't think she is dog aggressive. I just think the previous owner did a horrible job of training, socializing him, walking, introducing him to dogs and people

Can this behavior be trained out of her? She is very treat motivated. She loves treats. However, she is kinda stubborn - you can get her to sit but not lay down at all. Another pit lover told me to get a freedom harness and that would help a lot with the pulling and her leash manners.

My fiancee is completely in love with her and is dying to get her. I lived with a pitbull for 6 months but she was very well trained and socialized so she was super easy to handle. I dunno what to do

·
Registered
552 Posts
These behaviors can be red flags for more aggressive behavior.

You will need to immediately begin training to avoid trouble later in life.

Be aware. Many cities, states and rental homes have restrictions on ownership of Pitbulls and similar breeds.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Since we cannot see the dog we do not know if the reactivity is aggression or if it is frustration and lack of training or is she afraid and being defensive. You do not know either. Pits can be dog aggressive and it can simply escalate.

The fact that she is a bit scared of people is a concern as well (scared dogs tend to bite when they cannot get away, such as on leash).

You also need to be sure your land lord or your household insurance will cover you if you get a Pit Mix dog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can train a leash aggressive dog to behave on leash. It's not an easy or quick process though. And, while you can train the dog to ignore other dogs and people on walks...the dog may never be comfortable meeting other dogs (on leash) and may have a "radius" of comfort. Ex...may be able to handle a dog across the street without reacting, but may never be able to pass a dog on the same sidewalk.

If your lifestyle is one where you want to take the dog everywhere (busy areas, downtown, heavily travelled trails) then you may be disappointed. But, if you love the dog and really want to adopt her...and you can deal with the fact that she may never be comfortable passing dogs on the sidewalk, then go for it. You would still have options to walk her, just seek out quiet trails or go at off times of day. You could also consider muzzle training her for walks (not so much that she'll try to bite someone, but it does encourage people to give you and her space). There are also sleeves you can put on a harness or leash or collar that warn people your dog is not comfortable being approached.

I dog sit a sweet little Staffordshire Bull Terrier who is incredibly fearful of strangers and other dogs approaching her. She gets along fabulously with my 3 dogs and people she knows, but to try and walk her is not fun. I did start using a gentle leader on her, and it helped a lot to calm her down...and since she's very strong, it helps me keep control and lead her away if we're approaching something that I know will make her uncomfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts