Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, today I had a moment - between stress and lack of sleep I seem to have a short fuse these days.

Loki was having his Zoomies this morning and I know it sounds bad .. but I really was not in the mood. I tried to keep calm, if he wouldnt listen I calmly put him in his crate for a time out with a chew toy ... as soon as he came out about 10 min later it was back again!

He runs downstairs to the basement and I have been training him to wait unit called - hes only 17 weeks now and progressing nicely HOWEVER today he would not listen as soon as he came up stairs it was right back down. I snapped, yelled at him "scooped" him up and carried him back up the stairs and scolded him ...

Later he would cower and was really timid around me. We went back to calm easy training and then I had to leave for work.

Have I broken him? Or do I just forget about the incident and move on and try not to let it get to me .... :( Poor guy I feel terrible.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Loki will be fine. He was just reacting to how you were behaving at the particular moment and the rest of the time he was with you. When you get home from work, chances are he'll be so happy you're home that he'll want to play or walk with you. Sometimes I yell at Luke too, then I tell him I'm sorry, then we're fine. So don't worry, Loki will be just fine. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's always fixable, so many great rescue dogs wouldn't have found homes if something like this wasn't fixable!! What you did was minor to what some pups go through, just move on and he'll move on too.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Aww. We all have those days. He will get over it.

Bella is very touchy - she hides in the bathroom if I yell at my computer....and it makes me feel horrible! But she gets over it and forgets all about it after I coax her out with a treat. Then I take her out for a short walk so she (and I) can "shake it off".

If nothing else, she has helped me refrain from kicking the snot out of my PC! lol

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Have I broken him? Or do I just forget about the incident and move on and try not to let it get to me .... :( Poor guy I feel terrible.
Learn from it, but as long as it's not a pattern or the pup doesn't have a "fragile" personality, he'll be fine and will have forgotten about it. If this was a vast departure from how you usually are with him, the big change also accounts for his behavior.

But, yeah, always try to separate the rest of your day/life from interacting with your dog, especially puppies. I learned fast dealing with Wally and his "fragile" personality that I need to save my emotion for when I want to give information with it. With a dog like him, he's very sensitive to emotions, but he's learned the difference for when I'm upset at something else and not him - though sometimes, like if he's in my lap or I'm touching him, he'll still think it's him.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Yeah after work he was fine, we went for a walk and played "chase the puppy" as I call it in the yard. All is well ... and it was most defenatly a deviation from my usual self. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts