Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pepper isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, by a long shot. But he has taught himself a bunch of things with no effort by me. I know it mostly comes from inadvertent repetition by me, but it still cracks me up.

When we come back in from a walk and I take his leash off, he will wait till I say "GO" before he runs up the stairs to the LR. Then he waits at the top of the stairs till I get there.

He also knows that he gets no treats in his treat ball until he eats his dinner. So immediately after he finishes his dinner, he runs to find his treat ball and drops it at my feet so I can fill it.

When I put his harness on him for his walk, I sit on the step and put him on my lap and kiss his head. Now, he leans back into me and stares at me (his poor little neck!) till I kiss his head.

What has your dog taught itself that makes you laugh, warms your heart, or shake your head?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
All of mine have learned if as soon as they go out to the bathroom and are quick they get a treat. So they run out real quick, come flying back in, run to where the treats are and sit there.

bentley has learned if he pesters Mae enough it gets her to play

Tank taught himself how many cups of food I put in his bowl. If I don't put enough he will wait at the bucket I have the food in, until I put enough in. Or when I put it down will give me a look of "where is the rest of it?"

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota can open a locked garbage can. I certainly didn't teach him that.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Shippo taught himself how to fetch. He figured out that when he brings the ball back, he gets to chase it again (his big reward, the chase).

I made the mistake of rewarding pottying outside with a game of fetch, so for a while, he'd run out and PRETEND to potty in order to get the reward at the end. Fetch is no longer connected with pottying. <_<

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Eddee brings me his "snack" bowl which consists of a 3inch diameter metal bowl. I put his bedtime treat in it at 9 pm every evening. I call it his "party" ... Lol! If I ignore his plea for his "party" ... he throws the bowl around until I look.

If I go to the kitchen and begin to cook ... all dogs assume their positions of getting "behind the line" without me asking (dividing metal strip between kitchen and living room) ... because "behind the line" means food is coming! Lol! :)

Eddee tries to jump up and hit the door knob to get the door to open ... I definitely did not teach him that! If he hits the deck handle just right ... it will open. It is the kind that is a lever and not a knob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine have taught themselves to wake me up at 4 A.M. to go out, except when its raining. In that case they have taught themselves to play dead at 7 A.M.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My dear Ginny has taught herself to come to the door and bark once when she wants in. Then she goes to the edge of the deck and faces out towards the yard. Our door is all glass, so I can see her. She gets herself poised just right and waits for me to open the door. At the exact second that I open the door...she runs off the deck barking like a fool. She has learned that if she ignores me when I call her...the next statement is....Ginny, come when you are called if you want a weiner for the Beaner. At that point she quits barking and runs like heck onto the deck, in the house and sits by the fridge waiting for a tiny slice of weiner. She has learned that if I don't have to call her in, there will be no weiner. Smart dog, stupid owner...lol.

·
Registered
281 Posts
When my dog really wants to play and I'm just sitting around he'll bring his ball to me, drop it and then paw at my leg.
He'll also just FREEZE up real tense and then the second I reach for him he'll do the little "LETS PLAY" dance.

He opened the garage one time by pressing the button. Thankfully he didn't leave.
If he wants to eat or get a treat, he'll go over to where his bag of food and treats are and start pressing his nose against whatever he wants.
If we aren't in the garage he'll beg for food by pawing at the screen door. He'll also do this if he wants you to play with him, so whatever he does when you get out there is what he was pawing at the door for.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I forgot to add. My lab mix Abby(r.i.p) taught herself if she would look all sad and starving she got free food from the relatives. Or if she would go almost belly touch the ground, ears perked up, tail wagging up to people at cook outs she got a hot dog or two. Maybe if she was cute enough a STEAK!! or if she got in trouble she would roll on her back, look up at you with these sad eyes and wag her tail. She got out of trouble pretty quick,lol. She was SO spoiled but one of the best dogs I have ever owned..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Eddee brings me his "snack" bowl which consists of a 3inch diameter metal bowl. I put his bedtime treat in it at 9 pm every evening. I call it his "party" ... Lol! If I ignore his plea for his "party" ... he throws the bowl around until I look.

If I go to the kitchen and begin to cook ... all dogs assume their positions of getting "behind the line" without me asking (dividing metal strip between kitchen and living room) ... because "behind the line" means food is coming! Lol! :)

Eddee tries to jump up and hit the door knob to get the door to open ... I definitely did not teach him that! If he hits the deck handle just right ... it will open. It is the kind that is a lever and not a knob.

The party thing is hilarious. I am always worried my dogs will figure out how to open the front screen door before it's a lever instead of a handle too. I keep it locked if the front door is open, just in case

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Gally learned how to balance with his two front paws on a basketball by himself. I just put it on cue after he did it a couple times. The ball was just sitting on our living room floor and he started using it to get a perch up to look at things above his normal sight line.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My husky Leo teaches himself everything.
He taught himself to sit with no effort of mine by watching the other dogs.
He taught himself to play catch and can throw objects with great accuracy.
He taught himself to play fetch.
He taught himself to "fake me out" like we would do to a dog when you pretend to throw something and really don't. He does that to me when we play catch. ( sadly i usually fall for it!)
He taught himself to move box fans when he wants more of a breeze he will turn them around and position them by his bed.
he has an endless list of things he taught himself to do. He knows the names of his toys and will get them if you ask for them and he taught himself that. cause we named all the toys just for fun and he caught on to the names all by himself. When we go to bed at night he always sleeps with his one toy we call "captain squeak" he LOVES this toy. ( its a squirrel dressed like a stunt man) if he forgets it when my husband and I go to bed we are like "omg!?! where is CAPTAIN SQUEAK LEO?!" he goes flying out of the room to find him. it never gets old lol!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
1) We have walked on very small trails outside the complex, well Luke learned those trail ways backwards. He knows where the end is and wants to start there knowing where it'll end up.
2) We didn't teach him this at all, but whenever we get out the harness, he'll lift each paw to put them into the harness.
3) He knows where each dog lives that annoys him or that he's friends with and he'll look for them too.
4) He knows where his other toys are that I hide in my closet; he'll sit by my closet looking up. He'll wait till I open it up to give him his stuffed toys.
5) He has learned a lot of words and know what they mean. All of his stuffed toys have names, so if I say "I'm getting Noah." He knows exactly who I mean and gets excited.

I can't think of any others, but there probably are. I'm just too tired to think right now; I've seen some smart dogs and I would have to rank Luke's breed definitely among the top ten smartest dog breeds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts