Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following Soro's recent blowout, a few poop related questions came to mind:

-When your dog has bowel issues but seems fine in every other way, do you restrict exercise? I notice myself cutting out everything but mellow walks. I think it's because I feed bland and don't know how well chicken+rice translates into energy, and also there is a notion in my head that a 'sick' dog should take it easy, even though an upset stomach did nothing to affect his appetite or energy levels. Unfounded notion?

-Do your dogs ever have incidents out of the blue? I mean, Soro is a pretty shameless scavenger so he might have just picked up something disagreeable. And I am not surprised if his stool is a little off once in a while. This time it was more than just 'a little off'. But that night, it was a busy day for me so I believe I just took him for two short leashed walks, and he produced normal poop on both. 5-7 hours after the evening walk was when the blowout happened but I can't remember him eating anything strange at all. He seems to be fine now, though I need to see his poop later today to be sure. But it takes a LOT for him to get sick enough to get the squits like that AND be unable to hold it.

-Any data on how long it takes for ingested things to affect dogs? The only thing different I remember giving him was this glucosamine+yucca powder sample for dogs. But it was ~24 hours before blowout, and as I mentioned he had two totally normal poops after eating that. So in short, can you say "Well he ate this 24 hours ago it can't be that" or can certain things be held in the body longer than others?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
1. I don't restrict activity. I figure if the dog is feeling that bad, he'll restrict himself. Obviously, I don't encourage anything out of the ordinary, either, and I wouldn't take my dog to some sort of competition, either.

2. Oh, yes. Kabota will have one horribly soft poop preceded and followed by normal poops all the time. He is a shameless scavenger as well, and I just assume he got a little bit of something nasty.

3. This depends on why the dog has diarrhea. There are two effects here: mechanical and chemical. Mechanical is where the cause physically irritates the digestive tract, leading to diarrhea. That happens within hours of eating, because dogs have short, quick digestive tracts. A chemical effect, however, may not be working on the digestive tract directly, so there can be delay. In the case of the powder, it may have been a chemical effect that took some time to develop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts