Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever just randomly think of things, or see/hear/read something that make you go, "huh? Why is that?"

I have a few...maybe there is a reason someone else can answer. Some are really just gripes, but some are random, silly ponderings.

Mine right now is why are there tanning salons in Hawaii? Can't ya just step outside for 15 minutes...for free? LOL

Does anyone else have these questions- that there seems to be no good answer for-rambling around in their heads?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The tanning salons in Hawaii are probably because they allow people to tan while exposing their skin to lower UV rays than direct sunlight? It also allows them to lay unclothed and receive direct and even sunlight over their entire body and not have to worry about lines from the position of the sun, getting sandy from laying on the beach, etc.

That being said, I hate tanning booths, I'm pearly white and I plan on staying that way :)

I do have these thoughts sometimes.... Like, if self-driving cars use the lines painted on the road to navigate, what happens if they're on a road where there are no lines? What happens if snow obscures the lines? What happens if some random evil genius sneaks on the freeway at 4:00 am and paints crooked lines all over the place?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tanning salons in Hawaii are probably because they allow people to tan while exposing their skin to lower UV rays than direct sunlight? It also allows them to lay unclothed and receive direct and even sunlight over their entire body and not have to worry about lines from the position of the sun, getting sandy from laying on the beach, etc.

That being said, I hate tanning booths, I'm pearly white and I plan on staying that way :)

I do have these thoughts sometimes.... Like, if self-driving cars use the lines painted on the road to navigate, what happens if they're on a road where there are no lines? What happens if snow obscures the lines? What happens if some random evil genius sneaks on the freeway at 4:00 am and paints crooked lines all over the place?
See? That's something I didn't think of...tan lines! LOL IIRC, there are no "private" beaches in HI, so that makes sense. When I was there, I made the mistake of not keeping up with the sunscreen and I was toast within 20 minutes (I typically don't burn easily). Can't imagine needing artificial sun there...but maybe it actually is safer than the sun on the equator? hmmm...

Your thought is a hard one to answer. The thought of self driving cars scares me to begin with! lol

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Haha! The rental car I drove on the last Disney trip beeped whenever I went near the lines. . .well, the Disney parking lots have a lot of guidance lines all over for the bus/tram/etc. Yeah that thing was beeping a lot. I wanted to kill it. If it were my car I'd have to find a way to disable that feature. But, yup, any car that uses the lines to navigate wouldn't be of much use here. Only the interstate and state highways have lines, and those wear off by spring. I think the other paved roads are maintained by the townships and very few townships have enough money to keep lines painted. The weather here is tough on road paint.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
See? That's something I didn't think of...tan lines! LOL IIRC, there are no "private" beaches in HI, so that makes sense. When I was there, I made the mistake of not keeping up with the sunscreen and I was toast within 20 minutes (I typically don't burn easily). Can't imagine needing artificial sun there...but maybe it actually is safer than the sun on the equator? hmmm...

Your thought is a hard one to answer. The thought of self driving cars scares me to begin with! lol
Ugh. I put sunscreen on every day in MI and still have to be careful. If I forgot in Hawaii, I'd be beyond toast!

Not sure about artificial versus sun on the equator, but that's the first thing that popped into my head... You know what's even safer?! Staying indoors in the upper 48! Haha :)

Haha! The rental car I drove on the last Disney trip beeped whenever I went near the lines. . .well, the Disney parking lots have a lot of guidance lines all over for the bus/tram/etc. Yeah that thing was beeping a lot. I wanted to kill it. If it were my car I'd have to find a way to disable that feature. But, yup, any car that uses the lines to navigate wouldn't be of much use here. Only the interstate and state highways have lines, and those wear off by spring. I think the other paved roads are maintained by the townships and very few townships have enough money to keep lines painted. The weather here is tough on road paint.
I dislike the idea of self-driving cars. Like... Show me a lawn mower that can mow my lawn without being pushed before you show me a machine that travels feet away from other machines at 80 mph while using a computer for decision making purposes.

The snow thing is actually huge for self-driving cars - how will they compensate for weather conditions outside of the norm?

There's also an ethical issue with self-driving cars - if it's driving along and a group of kids run in front of the car, the car has to be programmed to make a choice - hit the kids with potentially fatal results, or swerve into a tree on the side of the road with potentially fatal results for the driver. Obviously minimizing pedestrian fatalities would be the choice of manufacturers, so in the future, people will literally be buying machines programmed to kill them in certain (granted, unlikely) situations.

Another question - why do larger mammals tend to live longer (blue whales, elephants, rhinos, humans), but larger dogs tend to live shorter lifespans than smaller ones?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Ugh. I put sunscreen on every day in MI and still have to be careful. If I forgot in Hawaii, I'd be beyond toast!

Not sure about artificial versus sun on the equator, but that's the first thing that popped into my head... You know what's even safer?! Staying indoors in the upper 48! Haha :)

I dislike the idea of self-driving cars. Like... Show me a lawn mower that can mow my lawn without being pushed before you show me a machine that travels feet away from other machines at 80 mph while using a computer for decision making purposes.

The snow thing is actually huge for self-driving cars - how will they compensate for weather conditions outside of the norm?

There's also an ethical issue with self-driving cars - if it's driving along and a group of kids run in front of the car, the car has to be programmed to make a choice - hit the kids with potentially fatal results, or swerve into a tree on the side of the road with potentially fatal results for the driver. Obviously minimizing pedestrian fatalities would be the choice of manufacturers, so in the future, people will literally be buying machines programmed to kill them in certain (granted, unlikely) situations.

Another question - why do larger mammals tend to live longer (blue whales, elephants, rhinos, humans), but larger dogs tend to live shorter lifespans than smaller ones?
My guess on the last one is because whales, elephants, and rhinos have naturally evolved to be that size over time, whereas we have sort of manually manipulated/stretched the dog 'shape' to be the size we wanted in a very short period of time. Also note that all of those extra large animals are herbivores, not carnivores.

My 'huh?' moment earlier this week was in the walmart parking lot. They has signs on the cart corrals saying "Return carts here" (or something to that effect) but... the only people seeing that sign would be people who were already in the process of returning their cart there. Wouldn't it make more sense to... I dunno, maybe suspend signs with arrows directing people to the cart corrals?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 'huh?' moment earlier this week was in the walmart parking lot. They has signs on the cart corrals saying "Return carts here" (or something to that effect) but... the only people seeing that sign would be people who were already in the process of returning their cart there. Wouldn't it make more sense to... I dunno, maybe suspend signs with arrows directing people to the cart corrals?
They could have neon flashing lights pointing to it with a Dolby surround sound system that yells "PUT CARTS HERE!" and people still wouldn't see it. :becky:
I had a similar "huh?" with the shopping carts. Like, why can't people walk 2 feet to their left to put the cart in the corral instead of leaving it in a parking space right NEXT to the corral? I think the two are related somehow...

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Most of the stuff SO says makes me go "Huh?"

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Self-parking cars. Blind spot detection. Automatic emergency braking. All of those modern technology 'features' are removing the human element slowly but surely. In my opinion they're more of a hindrance to safety rather than an enhancement. Like geez people, just learn to parallel park, look over your shoulder, and pay attention for gosh sakes. Really it's not that difficult, you know.

I saw a tv report a couple of days ago about the (google?) self-driving car. During real life testing on urban roads, it became completely immobilized at a four-way stop waiting for the opposing cars to pull up in turn and stop, causing a HUGE backup of traffic behind it. Apparently very few if any human controlled cars come to a complete stop themselves, and the computer driven car was totally confused by that and shut itself down. It was a real mess. Lots of glitches still to work out with that concept.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Self driving/parking/whatevering cars scare me. I would never get one. Sorry, but I know better than a computer about my surroundings and what is the best decision in the moment.

I already hate that it seems like all new cars now come with a computer screen in place of the dash. Because yea, navigating through menus on a touch screen is totally safe but using my cell phone isn't? Riiiight.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I couldn't be in a self-driving car. . .even if it were technically better than I am at driving, I hate the lack of control. Just like I hate flying even though it's safer than driving. And sometimes flying is necessary but I think I could avoid needing to use a self-driving car. I wonder, what does it do if there's an animal in the road? Like a deer or even a squirrel? I hope it wouldn't be programmed to put me in the ditch because of a squirrel :/. Although sometimes hitting the ditch is the preferable option to hitting a deer, if the ditch is shallow and wide. But if it's a steep ditch you want to stay on the road no matter what. That just seems like too much of a judgement call for a computer to make.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Last year I was at a conference and the sign on the ladies bathroom door said "Automatic door - pull to activate". WTF? It's not a very good automatic door then is it? I actually took a photo of it because I thought it was so dumb. But nobody else seemed to get it...

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last year I was at a conference and the sign on the ladies bathroom door said "Automatic door - pull to activate". WTF? It's not a very good automatic door then is it? I actually took a photo of it because I thought it was so dumb. But nobody else seemed to get it...
Um, yea... that doesn't make much sense. You think it would be "automatic" for someone who can't physically pull open a door...right?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
OMG I love the idea of self driving cars. Agreed they aren't ready yet but I can't wait for the option to just get in the car, sit back and relax until it arrives at my destination.

As for the "automatic door" I'd assume it's automatic assist on the door. As in you pull to get it started by there is power assist that does the work on opening and closing the door. Just a guess though. Or there was a button to operate the door that you overlooked...

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I love thinking about how the body works, like sometimes I just stare at my hand and move one finger at a time to see what muscles contract and how difficult life would be if we actually had to think about breathing instead of having our lungs automatically expand and deflate and a bunch of things like this. Today my supervisor caught me doing the hand thing and he just stared at me and was like "what are you doing?" I'm sure he was like like "WTF this person is REALLY weird"

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I love thinking about how the body works, like sometimes I just stare at my hand and move one finger at a time to see what muscles contract and how difficult life would be if we actually had to think about breathing instead of having our lungs automatically expand and deflate and a bunch of things like this. Today my supervisor caught me doing the hand thing and he just stared at me and was like "what are you doing?" I'm sure he was like like "WTF this person is REALLY weird"
I kind of have a similar thing, where I like to think of the biological function of things we do naturally and don't really think about, like itching at scabbed over injuries or rubbing our eyes.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts