Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.) Do male poodles not exist? What about female dogs that are big and drool?

2.) People obviously love their dogs, so why do movies constantly show them as being really dumb, panting afterthoughts? I'd love to see more movies in which the actors have a real relationship with their dogs. Throw in a scene where the main character (a normal, functioning adult) is laughing and playing with their dog, or snuggling and petting them on the couch. And the movie has to NOT be completely about the dog and how it dies at the end.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There's a novel called "The Art of Racing in the Rain," about a human family told from the dog's perspective. There is some anthropomorphism of course, but it's really pretty good. I enjoyed it. Maybe they'll make it into a movie.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
What about Beethoven? Or Homeward Bound? Hell, I think even Best In Show counts. The people did love their dogs, even if they were all INSANE!

101 Dalmatians, live action, and the cartoon

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...And the movie has to NOT be completely about the dog and how it dies at the end.
I guess you could argue Beethoven, Best in Show, etc. don't involve the dog dying at the end, but that wasn't really the point. I'd like to see a horror movie, or a romance, where one of the characters has a good relationship with a dog, even though the movie doesn't center on the dog. For example, American Horror Story. In the first few episodes, one of the main characters had a dog she appeared very close to. The dog's suddenly stopped appearing in further episodes, but it was a start. Paranormal Activity 2 had a German Shepherd that wasn't quite as big an afterthought as most other dogs, so that was cool. That one movie with vampires and Will Smith was good.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That recent movie 50/50 had a pretty good dog part in it.

·
Super Moderator
7,298 Posts
What about Must Love Dogs? That's a romantic comedy, and John Cusack's character had a good relationship wih his dog

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The only time I hate dogs in tv shows, is America funniest videos when a dog is dragging a kid around the floor by its hair, and everyone thinks its hilarious. Otherwise I don't care. But I kind of think you are going a different direction with this thread.

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
Check out A Boy and His Dog, the 1975 post apocalyptic sci-fi movie with Don Johnson (from Miami Vice.) Now THERE'S a special relationship between a human and his dog.

It's on NetFlix.

Don't let your children watch it. If you ARE a child, don't watch it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
2.) People obviously love their dogs, so why do movies constantly show them as being really dumb, panting afterthoughts? I'd love to see more movies in which the actors have a real relationship with their dogs. Throw in a scene where the main character (a normal, functioning adult) is laughing and playing with their dog, or snuggling and petting them on the couch. And the movie has to NOT be completely about the dog and how it dies at the end.
I kind of have a similar issue with movies that have sled dogs in them. In all the ones I've seen (except like 2) there is always some point where the musher uses a whip or beats the dogs in some way.
It really gives us mushers a good name. :p (complete sarcasm<<)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Easy A, Click, Wendy and Lucy, Due Date, There's Something About Mary, Seven Pounds, The Lovely Bones and Van Wilder all feature dogs in small roles. There are dogs in I am Legend and The Royal Tenenbaums as well, but the dog dies in the end, so I'm not sure if those count.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
1.) Do male poodles not exist? What about female dogs that are big and drool?
Perhaps ironically, a lot of fluffy dogs double as either male or female, depending on the part. So maybe the part of the big drooly male dog is actually played by a female dog and the part of the female poodle is actually played by a male.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
There are quite a few dog movies out there that have a good relationship with their owners. There's that one movie, I forget the title, but it's something like "My Dog Skip". Then the other person named "Homeward Bound". There's this one zombie movie, a B rated one, but a dog is in it and the woman stops at nothing to keep her dog alive and the dog survives.

I really don't know what movies you watch that the owner doesn't have a great relationship with his canine companion. All the ones I've seen are good and show the dog as smart, clever, or they show their owner the way out of a situation, etc.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I forget the title, but it's something like "My Dog Skip"
Doesn't count, since skip dies :behindsofa:

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's this one zombie movie, a B rated one, but a dog is in it and the woman stops at nothing to keep her dog alive and the dog survives.
Are you thinking of the newest Dawn of the Dead where they are at the mall? Even though not everyone likes the dog there is the one girl who reacts (just like I would if they tried to send my dog in with zombies) by freaking out and going to save her dog.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Yes, Brit & Bello, that's the one. But the dog is in it and the one woman likes the dog and I think, a guy does too. Oh yeah, Sloth did mention about not having the dog die, must've missed that part. Oops. Someone said "I Am Legend", the dog dies in the end there too.

Never saw the film, but I hear it's a good one and the girl loves her dog, "Because of Winn Dixie". What about "Eight Below"? I know some dogs die, but some some survive and the owner of them stops at nothing to get them out of the Arctic.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What about "Eight Below"? I know some dogs die, but some some survive and the owner of them stops at nothing to get them out of the Arctic.
I love that movie! I'm not known to cry during movies...I can't even remember one time when I did but 8 Below had me choked up and on the verge of tears. I guess cause it hits close to home.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm pretty sure all dogs die......eventually. Outliving a great dog is generally part of the bargain we make for our time together. It's rare to see a human-dog relationship that's any way realistic in movies/tv/books. I'll tolerate a dead dog to see one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts