Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THEY GAVE ME A FREAKIN PIG!!!

LOL! My Lord! Ever since Callahan came home from the vet June 19th... I've noticed I have a darn pig on my hands!!! LOL! They HAD to have injected some piggy blood in him because he eats like he's never eaten before.

MB ~AKA-V~ and Rachel know how much of a picky picky boy he was. Ever since he was a pup I had to do different things to make his food look 'pretty or perfect' enough for him to eat. Had to continuously mix it up and stand by so he would actually eat. If I would not do this... he'd go without eating for 3 whole days... uggh, it was an ordeal. Switched through 3 different foods... tried everything to make him eat without me working my butt off.

Well NOW!!! He just eats like a nutso. The second day he was home... he was eating with no problems... and I thought "Oh it's because he hasnt eaten in a whole week... that's all". Well no... Almost a month later... he's still eating like a Pig! LOL!

I'M SUPER HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!
I just think it's too funny! He goes through his food... then goes and checks Bingo's food... and eats whatever is left over... does the same with Guera's food... and Jade's LOL! I have no problems with him doing that... I want him to gain as much weight as he can :).

Anyway... just thought it was super funny... instead of my Lovely Great Dane... I got a Pig back from the Vet teehee!

Any ideas why he changed so?
Nessa

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
He's smart. I have Brutus who loves few things more in life than eating, but isn't that intelligent. He scarfs down his food in about thirty seconds and then is ready to go back outside. (Well, he's actually ready to cruise my counters at that point, but I put him back outside.) Zero takes his time and even though he gets half the food Brutus does it takes him twice as long. He never, ever finishes until Brutus has already left. Then he goes into Brutus' crate and looks for any food that Brutus left behind. He's clearly smarter than the other guy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Too funny!

Has he gained back all the weight he lost when he was sick? Some dogs are just really good at regulating their own weight. Our rat terrier will go a day or two without eating sometimes and his weight stays pretty steady. Maybe something is telling Callahan that he NEEDS to eat to get back up to his normal weight. Of course, this may change when he gets to his normal weight. So enjoy it while you can!! :D

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
If he was given steroids that may be part of the reason. Steroids will up the appetite tremendously and it may take a few weeks for his body to adjust back.

I'm glad he's eating tho...that's a good thing...right! ;)

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
MB ~AKA-V~ and Rachel know how much of a picky picky boy he was. Ever since he was a pup I had to do different things to make his food look 'pretty or perfect' enough for him to eat. Had to continuously mix it up and stand by so he would actually eat. If I would not do this... he'd go without eating for 3 whole days... uggh, it was an ordeal. Switched through 3 different foods... tried everything to make him eat without me working my butt off.
That sounds JUST LIKE Uallis! Uallis hates dog food. Any kind of dog food, he hates it. He's been on several different brands but has never really acted like he liked any of them. He has to be good and hungry before he'll actually eat. I offer him food 2x a day but he normally only eats once at night. With his breakfast he'll just tip the bowl over and dump the food out, refusing to eat it. lol So I know how you felt when your talking about bending over backwards trying to get Calli to eat! LOL!! I don't figure Uallis would starve himself to DEATH but he'll definitely make himself sick and start throwing up stomach bile and such. He's done it plenty of times before. We are in a pretty good routine now at night. He has to eat in his crate and I have to stand right there and watch him and he'll finally eat. If I feed him outside his crate, he'll dump the food. If I feed him inside the crate, but don't stand there, he'll dump the food. I don't know why it has to be that way for him but it does. People always comment on how much "he has to eat"...well, he does eat more than smaller dogs in comparison but not nearly as much as you'd think a Mastiff would.

Sorry to take it off topic a bit but it just reminds me SO much of Uallis! :) I think that we have ourselves a couple of really picky boys! As a matter of fact, a lot things that you mention about Calli remind me so much of how Uallis is too. :) Must be a giant breed thing...;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts