Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the thing with all these fancy names for mutts? Someone on syracuse craigslist has a boxador listed. there was a boxweiler....poma poos...why is everything getting a fancy name?
growing up a mutt was a mutt...why the fancy names?

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
It's marketing and it seems to be working.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
because they sound cute and are a good sales pitch for ignorant buyers
i know someone who has bred bichon/pomapoo and lasa/pompoo mixes and tries i stress tries...to sell them for 250.:rolleyes:

ive seen people spend up to 600 or more at pet depot for one of these designer dogs...i got kicked out of there because i told someone who was looking to buy one that they could go to the shelter and probably find the same type of 'breed' ...what can i say, i speak whats on my mind.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
i know someone who has bred bichon/pomapoo and lasa/pompoo mixes and tries i stress tries...to sell them for 250.:rolleyes:

ive seen people spend up to 600 or more at pet depot for one of these designer dogs...i got kicked out of there because i told someone who was looking to buy one that they could go to the shelter and probably find the same type of 'breed' ...what can i say, i speak whats on my mind.
I say good for you! go get kicked out of more petshops. maybe if they have more people like you in their shop they will stop selling puppies.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I know a lady that has one intact male Pomeranian and about 12 small breed females and they all get bred by this nasty little Pom (he is nasty) They sit around laughing and trying to come up with stupid breed names. She gets mad at other people for doing the same thing and talks about how she knows what she is doing so it is alright. My comment to her was "well, it isn't rocket science you put 12 females out with 1 male and what ever happens happens." She really hasn't talked to me since. ;) Tis fine with me. :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Someone on here in another thread posted a link to a beagle X lab breeder, and the dogs were identical to my shelter found mutt. I absolutely died when I saw they were selling females for $700. She was $15. I thought about sending them an e-mail with Smalls' picture and her adoption fee and to tell them to let their customers know they're chumps. :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think the names are cute but whoever buys a dog because of a cute name is an idiot! My pooch is a supposed designer dog hes a bichon cross mini schnauzer but his designer name is a chonzer!! Not so cute. He was an accidental breeding who I paid very little for and I didnt get him because he was a designer mutt :)

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some of the names are funny:
chug
jug
chorkie
pomchi

some of the mixes arent too cute either. i know someone who had a dog called a bull weiner...pit bull doxie mix...google the mix and its actually becoming slightly popular, they are pit body build with small legs...look kind of like a basset but more petite not big footed like a basset.

what the weirdest mix you've ever seen or heard of?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I am hoping to one day see a APBT Standard Poodle cross. But I wana see it once and then be done with it, I never want a mix like that to become popular.

what would it do and look like?

maybe it would be mostly like a poodle but when retriving ducks it would skip the dead ones and grab the live ones and rip them up lol

or maybe it would look mostly like an APBT but it would love going for swims even in freezing water.

lol stereotypes gotta joke about them.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Weirdest mix I ever heard of was a litter of puppies in a shelter listed as pit bull poodle mixes. they were adorable pups, but the mix (at least in terms of stereotyping) seemed very odd.

Edit: Keechak you beat me to it!

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weirdest mix I ever heard of was a litter of puppies in a shelter listed as pit bull poodle mixes. they were adorable pups, but the mix (at least in terms of stereotyping) seemed very odd.

Edit: Keechak you beat me to it!
everything seems to be getting mixed with poodles. I think poodles are...cute but they get put into mixes way too much.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
everything seems to be getting mixed with poodles. I think poodles are...cute but they get put into mixes way too much.
That's because people are hoping that the poodle half will pass along the low-shed characteristics.

Sometimes they come close. Sometimes they are WAY off.

I've met some doodles that were absolutely fabulous dogs and some that were nuts. In that sense they are like any other mix.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That's because people are hoping that the poodle half will pass along the low-shed characteristics.

Sometimes they come close. Sometimes they are WAY off.

I've met some doodles that were absolutely fabulous dogs and some that were nuts. In that sense they are like any other mix.
I agree. I have to admit that If I could get a Rottweiler/Poodle cross that looked exactly and acted exactly like a Rottweiler but didn't shed like a Poodle, I would be so happy. Don't worry, unlike the doodle breeders, I know that isn't going to happen.

I wonder what they would be called? Pooweilers, Roodles, oodleilers? Hm, nothing good for marketability on that breed mix. Guess that is why their aren't many of them around. God knows, there probably ARE some out there somewhere though.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
Inga, since it's fairly certain that Esther is not 100% Plott hound, I'm not-so-secretly hoping she's Plott/Rott (a distinct possibility) so I can tell people she's a Plottweiller.

Your dream dog would be a rott-'n-poo.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Inga, since it's fairly certain that Esther is not 100% Plott hound, I'm not-so-secretly hoping she's Plott/Rott (a distinct possibility) so I can tell people she's a Plottweiller.

Your dream dog would be a rott-'n-poo.
Yikes! That name alone would keep me from looking into breeding Carsten to any Poodles. LOL I think Plottweiler sounds much better then Rott-N-Poo. Though I could almost see people driving miles and paying big bucks for a dog with that name. Sitting around a camp fire saying "I have Rott-N-Poo's" seems like something I could see folks doing. Add beer and you would have quite a conversation starter. (Sorry, I dated a redneck) lol

Is Esther a big lovey mush dog with a tiny bit of a serious side that comes out when she feels her family or self are being threatened?
I too suspect she has at least a snippet of Rottie in her. She is so BEAUTIFUL she almost has to be. ;)
Hasn't anyone ever asked you if she was a Rottweiler or Rottweiler mix? I would be surprised if nobody has.

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
Hasn't anyone ever asked you if she was a Rottweiler or Rottweiler mix? I would be surprised if nobody has.
Mostly people think she's a lab mix because nearly everything with four legs is a lab mix. A guy actually opened the gate and came into our yard a couple weeks ago because he saw Esther and thought it was his missing lab. I was so startled, I was less cordial than I normally would be.

"She's not a lab, she's not missing and - if she gets out of my yard because you opened my gate unannounced, we'll both be really sorry."

I didn't tell him that this wasn't even the worst that could happen, but I was in the yard with the dogs, so there was no bloodshed.

Your description is dead-on. She is generally affectionate, almost to a fault, but absolutely ferocious if she thinks her family, or especially her pal Molly, is being threatened.

Apparently the sparrows perched in the bushes just outside the yard constitute a threat to Esther's family.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Apparently the sparrows perched in the bushes just outside the yard constitute a threat to Esther's family.
LOL I suspect that part is the Plott in her. In Keshena they use them for hunting just about anything. They are very successful hunters and they even use then on Deer and Bear. My Rottweilers have NEVER killed anything. Not even a Postman. They generally use only as much force as is necessary to remove the threat. They have that "wait and see" attitude. Inga even used to bring live bunnies into the house each spring. She wanted to keep them safe. Mama was NOT happy about that.

Hey look, turns out we were both wrong in the name and they are already out there. :(
http://dogbreedinfo.com/rottle.htm

website after website of ROTTLES :( :mad: :(

Edit: I just wanted to add, had anyone walked into my neighbors yard thinking that the chocolate lab that lived their was theres, they would have left bleeding big time. IF they got out of the yard alive. That is the meanest dog in this area. Lab or not, they are not all nice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The strangest cross I have seen in awhile was a Corgi/Husky mix at the animal shelter. He had the body of a Corgi with the coloring of a Husky, blue eyes and everything. If I had the resources for a second dog that boy would have been coming home with me!

Ugh, look at some of these RIDICULOUS names! Seriously, WHY? The "Crustie" gets me, that just sounds unpleasant!
http://dogbreedinfo.com/hybriddogs.htm

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Ugh! That just makes me mad Britt Caleb & Enzo. :mad: To see the "find a breeder" links. Shameful. Breeder seems like a dirty word to me on that site.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts