Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to the rescheduled Nascar race with one of my best friends, I left Dixie and Jasper kenneled and asked my brother to please take them out every so often so they could stretch their legs and do their business. Well, I guess at some point he just put them in the dog run and left them. Well, Dixie climbed the fence and took off... I got a call from a random number, but I didn't answer because of all the noise and I had no idea Dixie was out! Well, I got a text from my brother about 15-20 minutes later saying "your dog is part monkey"... I was like "What!?" And he goes, "she got out and some woman brought her home". I freaked out! I went off on him(in text) asking him why he left them out, what the h*** he was thinking, if he even realized what COULD have happened to her. I was and still am furious. But I am so so grateful to the woman who found her and cared enough to bring her home.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I guess this means the run needs a roof?

That's the thing though....my dogs would never (I guess I can never say never, but just about) go and try to escape if I'm home so I wouldn't know how to safeguard my house for a petsitter.

Like with doors I trained them not to go through without a signal and so I never really thought my girl would bolt out when I left them at my moms. She came in with groceries and Jezzy jumped through the small gap between her feet and ran around looking for me.

I'm glad Miss Dixie is fine and a caring person wrangled her back home.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I guess I am amazed at how little people care. I don't know, but anytime I've seen a stray/loose dog, or any animal in need of assistance I've stopped. Oh sure, I've gotten muddy, flea infested, covered in ticks, etc etc, but I still don't see how someone could NOT stop and return the dog home or call the AC.

The last loose dog I wrangled was quite dirty, and he looked like he had just had a LOT of fun. The owner was crying and trying to hug me (not really the touching type) and 'let me pay you' but *shrug*. It made my day a little more interesting and I'm glad they got reunited.

And don't get me started on the people that swerve to HIT an animal in the road....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I guess I am amazed at how little people care. I don't know, but anytime I've seen a stray/loose dog, or any animal in need of assistance I've stopped. Oh sure, I've gotten muddy, flea infested, covered in ticks, etc etc, but I still don't see how someone could NOT stop and return the dog home or call the AC.

The last loose dog I wrangled was quite dirty, and he looked like he had just had a LOT of fun. The owner was crying and trying to hug me (not really the touching type) and 'let me pay you' but *shrug*. It made my day a little more interesting and I'm glad they got reunited.

And don't get me started on the people that swerve to HIT an animal in the road....
I will go out of my way to catch a loose dog. I want to reunite those dogs with whoever they belong to because I would want someone to do the same for me. I get a happy, fluffy feeling every time I can reunite a dog with someone - a feeling like I have made a difference to that one person - that they don't have to worry anymore.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That is F****** disgusting.

I stop to help loose dogs as someone may love them and I dont want them to get hit or starve. It is really hard to get some shelters/rescues interested though in some areas. One of the dogs I found on vacation at my moms place was a good dog, but no one wanted to take a very large dog (I thought he was a Great Dane mix) and he couldnt stay with the prey drive he had for my moms dogs. I had to put him in the yard of the abandoned house next door and I couldn't even get out the house I had to make so many calls.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Oh, your brother needs a smack up-side his head. There ARE a lot of nice people out there. We just dont hear about them as much. I sleep better at night believing there are way more good than bad people :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts